06 DTS hard to start when stone cold
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 06 DTS hard to start when stone cold in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My dts started all summer and fall since I got it in 1-2 seconds every time. but now that it's ...
    Genn15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

06 DTS hard to start when stone cold

My dts started all summer and fall since I got it in 1-2 seconds every time. but now that it's colder first start of the day I turn the key and let it go and it winds for a long time, sometimes what feels like 5-10 seconds befor it starts and on occasion will cough and stall than start like it was normal next turn??? After that first start its great no trouble till it sits for 6+ hours. When I turn key to on I hear the fuel pump and I wait till it does its thing and the car stops dinging befor I turn to start.. I can't help but feel like this isn't good for my car or normal, it isn't even that cold here -3 to -5 on a normal day lately. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Re: 06 dts hard to start when stone cold

Try part#88861013 USA #88861012 Canada, sold at you're Cadillac dealer. The only fuel injector cleaner to go in our cars, THE ONLY ONE. Might just help, see if you have any codes showing up, I hope not and I hope this helps.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Try cleaning the TB. If that doesn't help, check for a leaky FPR.

I'm assuming those stand for throttle body and fuel pump resivoir? And is there anyway to override the what I call one touch start where u turn the key for a second and it keeps winding over until it starts? I just feel bad letting it go like that

TB = Throttle body
    FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator
    No way to override the one touch start that I am aware of.
    BIGDADDYCADDY07 likes this.

I have been going over my service records and I noticed my last oil change they put in Lucas brand oil stabilizer probably because that's what I always had them so with my denali, now I had noticed additives such as fuel cleaners and coolant system additives ect are not to be put in these northstar motors except for a select few that are made for them... I don't know the exact date I started having the starting issue versus the day I had the oil changed but I'm wondering is Lucas oil frowned upon for a northstar? Could that be causing my long starts? I know its a lot thicker than normal oil and it seems the car is almost needing to warm up a bit while it turns over a bunch of times befor it actually catches and starts because after that first start of the day it's normal I till it sits for 10 hours or something. could the thickness of the Lucas be doing this maybe I should have it drained and rechanged with just normal oil? Do you guys use conventional, semi synthetic, or full synthetic?

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Personally, I have never put any additives of ANY KIND in my car.
    I bought it new and it now has a little over 137,000 miles on it and still runs great.

The only time I would even consider any type of additive, would be for a SPECIFIC problem it was having...

Everyone has their opinion on oil, but I use synthetic oil in mine... always have... always will.
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    TB = Throttle body
    FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator
    No way to override the one touch start that I am aware of.
    i agree

Quote Originally Posted by Genn15 View Post
    I have been going over my service records and I noticed my last oil change they put in Lucas brand oil stabilizer probably because that's what I always had them so with my denali, now I had noticed additives such as fuel cleaners and coolant system additives ect are not to be put in these northstar motors except for a select few that are made for them... I don't know the exact date I started having the starting issue versus the day I had the oil changed but I'm wondering is Lucas oil frowned upon for a northstar?
    "Most" people here frown upon most snake oil additives.

Could that be causing my long starts?
    No.

Do you guys use conventional, semi synthetic, or full synthetic?
    I use conventional 10W30, but like Jim said, it's personal preference. Oil has nothing to do with your long starts.

Have you cleaned the TB and checked the FPR? Have you checked your fuel pressure?
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Genn15, is this a high mileage car?

If it coughs & stalls then I suggest getting the throttle body cleaned.

If you are not the original owner or it has no history (maintenance records are not available) then talk to your Cadillac Service Manager or your mechanic about the additives or higher grade gasoline.

I would get a regular oil & filter change and I would not add the Lucas brand oil stabilizer unless it's recommended by your Cadillac Service Manager.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys was sitting snowed in and found the oil change receipt and thought I'd ask. I'm getting some shop space from a friend after Xmas to remove the tb for cleaning as we got a 60 snow dump this week and I have no garage! I don't have a gauge to check the fuel pressure regulator so I'll have to have that done for me. In the meantime I'll be driving the truck anyway due to snow.... Yesterday it was warmed up to right around freezing and I went to move the car to plow driveway and it started no problem and hasn't run in days! Have a bottle of the AC deco fuel cleaner from first reply going to put it in today anyway and see what comes of it.

Whoa, hold on there. No need to remove the TB to clean it. Simply block the throttle plate open. There is a tutorial with pictures I believe in the Tech Tips section.

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

The fuel system on the 06-11 DTS is a returnless on-demand design. The fuel pressure regulator is a part of the fuel sender assembly.

Oops. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the correction. I'll delete that portion of post #12 so as not to confuse anyone in the future.
    danog likes this.

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Re: 06 DTS hard to start when stone cold

This is right from the service manual:

"The fuel pump & sender assembly contains a reverse flow check valve.
    The check valve & fuel pressure regulator maintain fuel pressure in the fuel feed pipe
    and the fuel rail in order to prevent long cranking times"
    also,
    Fuel Pressure should be between 55psi to 61psi.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.