DTS belt replacement - headache!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, DTS belt replacement - headache!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So as the title suggests I'm having such a difficult time with my main belt. I started hearing a hissing ...
    SNIPEREAGLE177 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CADILLAC DTS PERFORMANCE

DTS belt replacement - headache!!!

So as the title suggests I'm having such a difficult time with my main belt. I started hearing a hissing sound coming from the engine belt and decided to replace the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley. I did not remove the electrical box, coolant reservoir, or the wheel liner. I did however removed the wish bone motor mount and still cant wiggle the belt around the pulleys. I did install the tensioner with the belt on it since it seemed that was going to be a headache to do afterwards. The whole belt was routed except I left the P/S pulley out to give me slack while I installed the tensioner. Well as soon as I finished torquing the tensioner I found the belt had slipped off the alternator. WOW I cant tell you how frustrated this has got me. All this was yesterday and now going back to it to finish it. Any quick tips to route this belt in place?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SNIPEREAGLE177 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CADILLAC DTS PERFORMANCE

Re: DTS belt replacement - headache!!!

Done, hissing sound stopped and I again enjoy the quite engine bay this car always had. At the end I removed the mounting plate on the right hand cylinder head and had a tad bit more space. I'm not going to say that it gave me much space as I wished but managed to wiggle the belt, and press down on the A/C lines. I'm not sure what it runs to have a dealer do it, actually my motive to do this was not based on what it costs to replace but rather me do it than someone else. There is 2 Cadillac dealers in my area none are worth a piece of crap. They always run up what you need to get done. Recently I got a P0128 code for engine not reaching temp, my heater was fine but I did notice a drop in temp when trying to warm the cabin. Took it in was told my water pump was leaking and needed to be replaced. If you like me and know anything about cars a leaking worn water pump does not (cool) your engine but rather cause a spike in temp. So did the basics inspected coolant, level was fine, no leaks after idling the car for 4 straight hours in my driveway. Ordered a thermostat and installed it. Needless to stay my thermostat was bad, actually missing parts of the rubber material in the center that is supposed to block the water flow, hence it was just letting the coolant pass thru that set the code for engine not coming up to temp. Saved 1300 dollars what a ripoff these dealers have become. They give a bad name to GM but oh well GM must not care to continue giving these dealers a license to sell.

Baccerman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: DTS belt replacement - headache!!!

Bet you did the belt with the car on the ground... secret is to use a lift to get to the bottom of engine, See previous post on this subject. Proud of you to hang in there and do this! did you do the water pump belt also when you did the thermosstat?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.