Dirty Cruise Control Sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Dirty Cruise Control Sensor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2007 has cruise with radar to slow me when cars are too close. Quite often in a rainstorm I ...
    coolvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Dirty Cruise Control Sensor

My 2007 has cruise with radar to slow me when cars are too close. Quite often in a rainstorm I get an error message ...."clean radar". When this happens the cruise won't work until the sensor out front is cleaned. Is there a way to disconnect or by-pass this feature? It's a real pain to lose cruise control on a trip just becuse it's raining and some dirty water from the road gets on the sensor.
    Thanks if you know the answer. Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Re: Dirty Cruise Control Sensor

Can't you just disable the radar feature in the DIC?

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

CLEAN RADAR

The CLEAN RADAR message displays in the DIC when the DSCC module detects a blockage of the radar. The radar may be blocked by snow, ice, dirt, heavy rain or road spray. In rare instances, a vertically misaligned radar may trigger the activation of the CLEAN RADAR message in the DIC. The DSCC module commands the display of the CLEAN RADAR message via a GMLAN serial data circuit request to the IPM. The DIC displays the CLEAN RADAR message when it receives a GMLAN serial data message request from the IPM. When the CLEAN RADAR message is displayed in the DIC, safely park the vehicle and turn OFF the ignition. Clean the front fascia cover to eliminate the blockage. It may be necessary to clean both the outside surface of the cover, the inside surface of the cover and the DSCC module surface. Refer to Distance Sensing Cruise Control Maintenance for more cleaning information. It is important to turn the ignition OFF before cleaning any of the named surfaces. This is because the CLEAN RADAR message may still display in the DIC after cleaning the three surfaces. Cycling the ignition to OFF for 10 seconds is necessary to clear the CLEAN RADAR indicator if the indicator remains ON in the DIC. If the CLEAN RADAR indicator still remains ON after cleaning the radar and cycling the ignition, then the radar alignment will need to be checked and verified. Perform the Distance Sensing Cruise Control Aiming, if the radar is misaligned. The DIC sounds an internal chime anytime it displays the CLEAN RADAR message.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Atavar View Post
    Can't you just disable the radar feature in the DIC?
    No.

It's radar cruise or bust.
    If you have it you have to use it.

Sometimes if you are lucky a reboot of the car will get it going again for a while until you can clean it. Honestly I have to wonder if you are missing some shielding as it doesn't come up very often.

Do you have a hole in the underbody shield (allowing road spray and such to get up to the radar unit)?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

I've had it happen twice in almost 3 years of ownership. Both times in a heavy rainstorm.The first time I pulled it over and wiped off the front disc, lifted the hood and dried the module. When I took off again it was fine. The 2nd time it happened I simply puled over and re-started it with no problems. Just my opinion but this feature is easily one of the greatest options I've ever had or seen on a car. I use it every single day and absolutely love it. I go to my dealer for service and frequently my car is the only one on the lot that has it. I don't get that. This feature will easily make me hold on to my car much longer than otherwise and the next car must have it. It's becoming more prevalent; heck-even a Mazda 6 has it.

Maybe I'm missing something. There is talk of cleaning the sensor inside and outside???? Someone is suggesting a hole in the shield??? The only thing the manual seems to suggest is wiping off the outside of the center grill emblem. What else in detail should I be doing?
    It is a real pain to be on a trip, driving down the interstate and lose cruise control. To have to pull over and wipe something off is just stupid.

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Just wiping the water (or snow) off the front emblem and one time I dried off the model inside. I probably didn't need to do it but did it anyway. Don't be upset, you'll be fine There is no hole but there is a grille that allows water to get inside and onto the module; again, no big deal.

The very first long trip I took in my new (to me) car I ran into a wicket rainstorm in Delaware, heading for OC, MD. The ACCC went out on me. To be fair, the owners manual says to not even use it in a heavy rainstorm. I pulled over and dried everything. No big deal to me because it was fine after that and, like I said earlier, I use ACC every single day.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    I was referring to the splash shield that is under the front bumper / radiator area. I've seen them get damaged before and be missing on some cars.

That could cause extra road spray in the front bumper area potentially getting the back of the caddy logo dome excessively dirty and making it so that any minor amount of additional interference prompts the ACC disable and clean radar message.

ACC is a great feature that I specifically looked for when I was shopping. It would be hard to get me to buy another car that doesn't have it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Distance Sensing Cruise Control Maintenance

cruse.gifDistance Sensing Cruise Control Maintenance

1. Remove the distance sensing cruise control (DSCC) module cover from the fascia (6) grille.
    2. Clean the surfaces of the inner and outer DSCC module cover with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water by volume on a dampened lint free cloth.
    3. With the same solution, clean the outer surface of the DSCC module (3).
    4. Install the DSCC module cover to the fascia (6) grille.

Thank you on the cleaning instructions. I'm sure the inside parts of mine have never been clean and that's probably the reason that I'm getting the clean message so often. Will try that and thanks again.
    Mark

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.