Can I get a softer ride?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Superjim
  • 2 Post By northstar1958
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Can I get a softer ride? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Let me explain...I know that most people nowadays want a ride that is controlled, sporty, firm, or what-have-you. I'm exactly ...
    TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Can I get a softer ride?

Let me explain...I know that most people nowadays want a ride that is controlled, sporty, firm, or what-have-you. I'm exactly the opposite. I like my cars to ride as if they are floating on air. I don't want to know what is going on with the road...I don't race my car around corners or anything like that, either. I want a ride that is serene...as little road-feel as possible. I have owned...and have driven...several cars that have this characteristic. They all had that serene ride...although there was a good amount of "float" or "bounce" with them; when going over frost-heaves and bumps ... but that does not bother me a bit. I think of my brother-in-law's 1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille or my old 1995 Buick Roadmaster or 1987 Cadillac Brougham when I think of the ride that I like.

I know that car manufacturers have moved away from the floaty ride and toward the more controlled ride. I wanted a newer car with a lot of creature comforts...and I love that the DTS has it all...plus the many airbags and ABS that makes it safer than older cars. I love the style and how it seems to do everything for me...but I feel like the ride is too firm...a lot of jossling about over uneven/broken pavement...also makes my rear-seat vanity mirrors and sunroof sunshade rattle...which drives me mad.

Here are some details about my car:

* The car has 60K miles on the clock.
    * It is a LuxIII ... not a Performance Edition. It has the FE1 suspension.
    * I don't believe that the front struts have never been replaced. The rear air-shocks seem to be doing fine.
    * I have Vogue tires on the car (not by choice...they were on it when I bought it...but they are still good, so I haven't yet replaced them). They are aired up to 30-31 psi (cold). Sometime in 2014, I expect I will be replacing the tires...probably with Goodyear ComforTreds (I had those on my 2001 Park Avenue and loved them).

My questions would be...

* I suspect the car needs new struts...which ones would be best for the ride I'm looking for?
    * Is there a spring from a different vehicle that could interchange...but would have a softer spring rate than my current springs?

I appreciate any help you can give. Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Can I get a softer ride?

When I think of smooth rides, I remember my '84 Fleetwood Brougham deElegance..
    I agree that the newer cars are much safer and a lot more controllable than the older ones, but for pure comfort and isolation from the road, the old ones were much better.

I wouldn't think that a 2008 with only 60K on it would need new struts... but you may well be right, it is YOUR car after all.
    I may be wrong, but I think there is only ONE strut for the front of your car... the same thing that is on it now.
    Same for the rear.
    I have 137,000 on mine and the struts and shocks are still the factory original ones.

All that being said, I have the Performance Edition and run 34/35 PSI cold in mine, which has 245x50x18 tires on it.
    That is a lower profile tire with more air pressure than you are running, so it SHOULD BE a rougher riding tire.
    We have some pretty bad streets down here but I have NEVER had my sunroof sunshade rattle, and I drive fairly briskly.

I have saw a number of complaints about the vogue tires on various forums that I frequent...
    That "MAY" be part of the problem, but of course, the only way to know that is to replace the tires.
    An expensive proposition if it doesn't help much.
    I don't think there are any softer springs for it either... unless the Buick Lucerne springs would fit.
    The Lucerne is a cousin to the DTS... but maybe uses softer springs... I don't know.
    Caddilack likes this.

northstar1958 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm like you TopherS, I like the smoother ride. I also have a park avenue with the comforteds and love them. When it came time for new tires on the 2006 DTS i opted for the only thing i could change. I went to a "zero plus" tire....I swapped the 235/55/17s for 215/60/17s....alittle more rubber height between the road and the rim along with a 1/2 inch less width on the road. It made some difference along with less road noise. I'm not concerned about pushing it 90 mph thru corners...its all about the ride, and it helped alittle.

northstar
    Gomaz and Caddilack like this.

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

I also get the sunshade/moonroof rattle when going over bumps. So does my buddy in his 09 and his previous 06. When mine was in for service a few years ago they gave me an 07 with a moon roof and it too had a slight rattle when going over bumps.

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

You are describing the ride quality I too seek.

A Lux lll was the best way to go back in the day.

If you are not pleased with your current experience, I suggest you ditch those vogues and go back to the michelin factory tire.

The key is to have them road force balanced on a Hunter gsp9700 by someone who knows how to get your road force down to say 15 pounds or less per tire. It will take time to find someone truly competent in the use of this machine but it will be worthwhile.

When I had mine done it took about 30 minutes a tire to precisely match and balance each one - and cost me ~$400 - but every time I drive the car I know it was money well spent.

The tires left the factory balanced by true professionals on similar machines. So if you still have factory tires and wheels that have never been opened up for a repair, please don't rebalance them.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Put a set of 16" wheels on the car and get an appropriately sized tire to match your OEM size outside diameter. This will likely be the easiest way to get a softer ride.
    You get some tires that have a taller softer sidewall than OEM tires and you will add to that floaty ride. You already have FE1 springs (which are the softest available) so there isn't much you can do unless you go full air bag suspension.

I was able to put my 01 Monte Carlo SS 16" rims on my 02 Deville DTS (which came with the 17" chrome blades) without any clearance issues as my winter tire setup.
    Seeing as how the 06+ DTS kept the same chassis as the 2000-2005 it should work.

Assuming the rims used on your DTS are 17":
    Code:
    Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
    235/55-17         5.1in  13.6in    27.2in         85.4in        742        0.0%
    215/65-16         5.5in  13.5in    27.0in         84.8in        747       -0.6%
    Or if you have the 18" wheel option:
    Code:
    Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile  Difference
    245/50-18         4.8in  13.8in    27.6in         86.9in        730        0.0%
    225/65-16         5.8in  13.8in    27.5in         86.4in        733       -0.5%

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I don't think DTS can it 16s. They got the same jl9 option the STS has.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

And balancing has absolutely nothing to do with a softer ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    I don't think DTS can it 16s. They got the same jl9 option the STS has.
    I figured that since he had the Lux package and not the Perf package they would fit. I would have thought the base brake package (from the STS) would be the base on the DTS, and that it would have been likely for them to do a carry over from the Deville.
    Did the 06+ DTS come with 16" wheels in any trim level?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

I know several years back, a few Seville owners installed DTS front rotors and calipers, and those with 16" rims had to install 17,s to fit the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I know several years back, a few Seville owners installed DTS front rotors and calipers, and those with 16" rims had to install 17,s to fit the brakes.
    All I can say is that the OEM 16"s from my Monte Carlo SS Pace Car fit on the 2002 Deville DTS without issue as my winter tires for 2 of the 3 winters I drove the car. (3rd winter the treadlife left on them wasn't worth the swap).
    A 16" with the proper offset would have likely fit those sevilles (not necessarily Cadillac OEM rims).

So since the chassis was a carryover from 2000 for the new DTS it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that the Performance car of the 2000-2005 model would have its brakes used as the base for the 2006+ model.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.