passenger seat move extension - move seat 3" further back
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, passenger seat move extension - move seat 3" further back in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, my wife is not comfortable in the passenger seat and is pressing her knees against the console. Has anyone ...
    pschalow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS 2008

passenger seat move extension - move seat 3" further back

Hi, my wife is not comfortable in the passenger seat and is pressing her knees against the console. Has anyone experience in extending the electric seat movement to go further back 2" or better 3"? She is not driving and nobody sits behind her on the back seat.
    Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrZoSo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Re: passenger seat move extension - move seat 3" further back

I don't understand. The passenger seat can accommodate a person over 6ft 7 and has TONS of legroom. Is something wrong with the seats function?

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Agreed. I am 6'1" and I have to move the seat forward a lot so my feet can touch the firewall (makes sitting more stable) and even then I have lots of knee space.
    I did have relocater rails like that for my XJ6L so maybe someone makes them for cadi.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

pschalow, The (unmodified) passenger seat in a late DTS will (should) go back far enough to allow her to have to stretch to even touch the dash/glove box area. I'm 6'3" and can move it back far enough and lower the back enough to fully recline...... and I can come close to that in my STS.

pschalow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS 2008

Dear Submariner409, thanks for your reply and your thoughts. I didn't wanted to get into details, but my wife has a weight issue, that's why we have the DTS with the bench and now she touches the middle console and sometimes lowers the air to 60 degrees - ha. So, if anybody had a technical solution on how to bring the seat further back, she would sit much more comfortable. I would appreciate any ideas a lot - thanks.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Pschalow, I have had a friend who is nearly 450 pounds in the passenger seat of my Seville. Their knees were not close to touching the dash. Unless someone were quite tall, as well as being heavy, I don't see the seat not being able to go back far enough to accommodate them. My suggestion would be to move the seat as far back as it will go, and measure the distance between the rear, bottom of the front seat, and the lower rear seat cushion. Another member could do the same, and you could find out if your seat is moving as far back as it should be.

There really isn't any way to get greater travel out of the stock seat rail. Because of how it mounts to the floor, it can't simply be mounted further back. And there's no way to just extend the track.

Cadillacman916 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07dts perf. 04 dts,06 dts limo,11 dts, 13 escalade, 13 xts

I bet the problem is the seat rails are blocked somehow... Happened to me before. To fix it i gently pulled the plastic shroud around the seat off to inspect the rails, and a mangled quarter fell out.. havent had a problem since.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I'm just 5 foot 8, but with the seat all the way back... I can stretch my legs straight out and not touch the firewall...

Your wife might actually be more comfortable in the back seat with the front seat all the way forward. She would have a lot more room that way.
    If her condition is likely to be permanent and it were me I would go so far as to consider removing the front passenger side of the split bench seat entirely.

It is a shame that those of us outside of societies norms often have to go to extremes to workaround problems.

If there is a custom car or truck shop or even a good body shop in your area they should be able to relocate the seat aft for you. A *good* custom interior shop could even remove half of the back seat and finish everything off to look factory. Not cheap but possible. Being different is often expensive.

Airbags are another consideration I am not expert enough to offer advice on.

Relocating the seat would be VERY labor intensive. The front of the seat "hooks" into slots besides a forward crossmember? while the rear of the seat bolts into another crossmember on one side, and into the sill panel on the other. For it to work, a second set of mounts would have to be installed/fabricated into the sill panel and center hump, a rear left "mount' would have to be fabricated, and the sill panel would have to be modified to accept the right rear seat track bolt. And it would all have to be at least as strong as stock.

Oh, I do not doubt that it would be intensive *and* expensive. I just said it would be "possible". If it were me and my wife though, and it sounds like it is going to be a long term issue, I would consider it. I bet it wouldn't be as expensive or any more intensive than adding a handicapped lift chair to replace the passenger seat, and that is pretty commonly done.

----------

Take a look at this, it might be a good solution.

----------

and here's a seat base that will let you keep the factory seat and gain up to a 20" setback.
    http://bdindependence.com/

I know the second option you posted is designed specifically for full size vans (as is, unfortunately, most handicapped/"mobility" equipment). The second one may work, but the problem would still be mounting. The seat swiveling out of the car is very helpful, however, the stock seat would probably not be able to swivel out of the car because if it's size. Usually, a smaller, generic seat is used, and they tend to be uncomfortable, especially for a larger person.

Hopefully, for the OP, it's just an issue with the stock seat not traveling fully back.

HASSAN4477 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS PERFORMANCE
    @pschalow being that the front of the seat tracks are hooked and not bolted in the floor something would have to be fabricated to move it. Have you ever considered removing the console all together you can remove the top and keep the seat filler bottom. I know it's not moving it back but it will give her a little more comfort for the time being, also if you live in Michigan private message me I own an auto upholstery shop in Detroit I would be able to move the seat for you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.