Tire shine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Tire shine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I take pride in shining my 07 DTS. At 62 I have all the time in the world to polish ...
    07dtscaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Luxury III

Tire shine

I take pride in shining my 07 DTS. At 62 I have all the time in the world to polish it. I have researched about what people say are the best products to clean and shine the car and usually it is something that is not at the local store. I WAS using Eagle One tire gel on my original Michelin Energy tires with excellant results. Now I bought a set of Michelin Primacy's and the tire gel splattered all over the side of the white pearl paint. I wrote to Michelin and they don't recommend ANY tire shine and Eagle does not seem to care to reply back to my email about the problem. (scratch them from my buying list). I often wonder if these tire shine products are harmful to the tire in that it might contain petroleum stuff. Anyway, what do you use to keep a wet look without "sling"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Not a conventional tire shine product, but Lord Fusor makes a tire coating that lasts several months. You can get it online or at body shop supply stores. It's quite expensive though.

FWIW, the oil in your new tires is probably keeping the tire shine from penetrating and staying on. Wait a month or so, then wash them a few times with a stiff bristle brush and a strong tire cleaner (Eagle 1 A-Z All Wheel And Tire Cleaner is excellent), then try your usual protectant.
    07dtscaddy likes this.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Tire shine

Every tire shine I try splatters all over my pretty white paint...
    Then I have to clean it off the paint...

crazcaddyguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance
    Back when I used to work for discount tire, we used semi gloss black spray paint on the tires they displayed in the show room, I my self use black magic tire wet with an applicator... but I've used the spray paint and it stays on for a good while! Looks really good too! Just need to mask the wheels and whatever you don't want black paint getting on!

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Every tire shine I try splatters all over my pretty white paint...
    Then I have to clean it off the paint...
    For display vehicles I've seen Armorall being put on, looks shiny so long as the vehicle doesn't move. For me, I use Eagle 1 Wheel and Tire cleaner, and follow it up with Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray. It doesn't stay super-shiny that long, but it keeps the tire looking black instead of that grayish brown it can get. And the stuff doesn't splatter over my pretty Diamond White paint.

One thing I like about the Hot Shine spray is that it has three width setting for the aerosol nozzle, so a wide tire like mine gets one setting and the little tires on the bride's SLK get another setting. Result: no overspray.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I use the Meguair's Hot Shine and it typically does a good job of keeping my tires looking good. It still manages to splatter all over my paint so I typically have to wipe it off after a day.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

I had been using ARMOR-ALL TIRE FOAM but it lasts only till the rain washes off. Lately, I have been using BLECHE-WHITE spray solution to thoroughly clean the tires. Tires look great & clean but they don't shine. So, I have given up on shiny looking tires.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    I use the Meguair's Hot Shine and it typically does a good job of keeping my tires looking good. It still manages to splatter all over my paint so I typically have to wipe it off after a day.
    Try not driving the car for an hour or so, giving it a chance to dry...

07dtscaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Luxury III

Thanks all for suggestions.

RicktheRealtor is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

I agree with hazcaddy, but I take it one step further. I usually apply late in the day and let it sit overnight. Reduces splatter by a lot. Of course,
    don't overspray to begin with.

Kenwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Premium Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    I agree with hazcaddy, but I take it one step further. I usually apply late in the day and let it sit overnight. Reduces splatter by a lot. Of course,
    don't overspray to begin with.
    Yep, that's what I do. I'll wash it, dry it, do the tires and put it back in the garage for the night. I'm not a big Armor All guy, but their Extreme Tire Shine works very well - spray it on and don't worry about how it looks when you do. It will be thick and look kind of milky. Just let it settle and work it's magic.

Eddie39 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS LUX I 44k - Once owned 1998 Deville & 2002 Deville

This is the Meguiar's product I use. I have a white DTS and never had any problems. I ordered it direct for $12.99.

Meguiar's Model Number - M4016 Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner 16oz

Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner is a complex formula that cleans, penetrates and rejuvenates vinyl and rubber surfaces. Durable protection that screens out damaging UV rays. Restores life and color. Leaves a rich, natural sheen, unlike the shiny synthetic coating of simple protectants.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.