Front end noise over small bumps 2006 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Front end noise over small bumps 2006 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a noise in the front end of my 2006 Cadillac DTS. I have replaced the brakes, rotors, rims, ...
    adfundum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS

Front end noise over small bumps 2006 DTS

I have a noise in the front end of my 2006 Cadillac DTS. I have replaced the brakes, rotors, rims, Front Struts and Strut Bearings. The wheels are in excellent condition. It has now been to two shops and they have been unsuccessful in determining the problem. I removed the bumper fascia and still have a noise. The car feels very tight with no slop. The shops looked at engine brackets, sway bars, bar ends and everything they could think of and stated it was all good. Any suggestions on where I go from here?

----------

I believe my struts and strut bearings are fine as they do not clunk when turning to left and right from a stopped position. Going over big bumps the car does not dive down. The noise is happening going straight down the road and traveling on Michigan roads where there are hairline cracks every 10 feet or so.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS
    I have the exact same issue. I am hoping someone can pinpoint the cause rather than me throwing parts at it. Car runs and drives with no issues.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Re: Front end noise over small bumps 2006 Cadillac DTS

Nobody will be able to accurately pinpoint the cause from a few posts on a forum. It will take an experienced mechanic with hands on the car.
    People on the internet might be able to give you hints about troubleshooting or maybe guesses as to the problem, but without touching your car that's just what it will be is guesses. Even if someone else had exactly the same symptoms that you have the best you can hope for is that their solution *might* solve your problem.
    BIGDADDYCADDY07 likes this.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

You will probably need to find someone with a good set of CHASSIS EARS to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Since you've worked on the brakes, this may not be of help. But I had a rattle like noise coming from the front end, typically heard when going down a road with lots of small cracks and/or patches. Didn't hear it with major jolts, like potholes. The dealer write-up states: Front caliper hardware noise. Removed calipers and lubed slider pins (H0037.8). That took care of the noise (and that was two years ago).

free06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts

the local cadillac mechanic told me that my front end clunk was due to needing new caliper pins and bushings. have not replaced them yet, but will report as soon as I do.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

So what kind of noise you are experiencing; i,e, rattling, humming, etc? You mentioned that you have replaced the brakes, rotors, rims, Front Struts and Strut Bearings. First of all, what do you mean that you replaced the rims? Did you replaced the brakes shoes & rotors yourself? If yes, then it's possible that you may not have'm installed properly.

On the other hand if you had it thoroughly inspected by two shops & they could not pinpoint anything then why worry. If the level of noise gets worse then take it to a reputable shop and see if they can diagnose the problem.

NOTE: I have driven in Michigan, Illinois, & New York. Believe me there are no hairline cracks every ten feet but wide cracks or chuckholes. These cracks ultimately affect the performance of even a luxury car like a DTS.

Good luck & drive safely!!

UPDATE: I have replaced the sway bar bushings, and nothing changed in regards to the noise. I took a crow bar and jiggled everything, everything seems tight. When I di the brake job, I did clean and lube the pins and guides. I tightened the hood locking mechanism so their is no play. I am such an anal guy that this is driving me batty. I think I will replace the sway bar links next. They seem tight but the car has 122k on it an d they are an easy cheap replacement. AAAAARGGGGHHH. I thought about having my wife drive the car while i am spread eagle on the hood to listen to where it is coming from.

Use CHASSIS EARS, or something like them, to pinpoint the location....
    Save yourself all this aggravation...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...CHASSIS%20EARS

TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS
    Any chance that it might be the gravel pan under the engine? Rather than riding on the hood, maybe you could stand on the side of the road as she drive by.

Re: Front end noise over small bumps 2006 DTS

I have removed the gravel pan, so unfortunatly no. I was joking about riding on the hood :?

The car went back to the shop and they hooked up chassis ears to it. Spent 2 hours and still have no idea. They loosened and re-torqued all suspension bolts. AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH. I ordered new sway bar ends as they are cheap.

After going thru everything a 5th time I noticed that the washers underneath the top strut bolt are facing down like a pyramid. Exploded diagrams show them facing up like a bowl. The mechanic said it was loose when facing up so he faced them down. Can someone clarify the correct direction? Should I add additional washers to make sure they are tight. Could this be my mysterious clunking?

----------

I was reading thru the forums and came across this posting:

I installed the Monroe 902972 Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit. This guy seems to think it did not fit his 2006 Cadillac DTS even though Amazon says it does. Should I remove and install a Moog?

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    Get the acdelco mounting kit they are cheap you could get the on amazon rockauto.com or ebay. The after market are not that good.

----------

One more thing check the the string wheel shaft. By Time it goes bad. You Could Do A Test By Moving THE String Wheel Right And Left A Little Bit If you Feel A Small clonk It May Be Going bad it . My 06 dts is doing it I already checked my and it is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by grullon10 View Post
    Get the acdelco mounting kit they are cheap you could get the on amazon rockauto.com or ebay. The after market are not that good.

----------

One more thing check the the string wheel shaft. By Time it goes bad. You Could Do A Test By Moving THE String Wheel Right And Left A Little Bit If you Feel A Small clonk It May Be Going bad it . My 06 dts is doing it I already checked my and it is bad.
    That's probably the intermediate shaft... I had to have mine replaced at about 50,000 miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.