Front end noise over small bumps 2006 DTS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Front end noise over small bumps 2006 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have been fallowing this post thinking I may have a similar phantom noise more of a tick than clunk ...
    Genn15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: Front end noise over small bumps 2006 DTS

I have been fallowing this post thinking I may have a similar phantom noise more of a tick than clunk in my opinion and it's only over very small bumps and at times on uneven roads at high speed and today I finally found it! I thought it was the plastic splash guard under the bumper on driver side moving so made sure it was secure and it seemed to almost get worse and turns out it is a wire inside the bumper that is covered in plastic skin that is way longer than it needs to be ( fog light I think didn't tear it apart to check) and not secured at all and it's flapping around and ticking off the splash guard on small humps and rough roads and catching wind at high speed on I got a simple screw in wire clip from the local cmax and out it into the splash guard clipped it in and haven't heard it since! I made a point to go down roads where I usually got the noise... May not be your sound but worth a shot I had a couple shops try and figure it out and no one could because they were looking for worn out parts.. Just a thought!

adfundum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS

I have now replaced: Rotors, Brakes, Rims, Front Shocks, Front Strut Mounts, Sway Bar Bushings, Sway Bar Ends Went through the entire bumper fascia to ensure there is nothing loose. It has been to the shop twice and chassis ears were connected. I looked at engine mounts, the pins on the calipers are greased and all the other bar links are tight. Still have the clunking at low speeds over small bumps. The Steering Wheel Intermediate Shaft is the next thing I was going to replace in hopes that this fixes the clunking. The part I am thinking of using is the Dorman 425-154 Steering Shaft. I spoke with the shop about this and even thought I found a TSB about this issue with GM vehicles the shop doesn't think that is it. They say if it was a problem with the intermediate shaft then you could hear it standing still and turning your wheel left and right. What are other peoples thoughts?

Has anyone replaced one? Is this a shop job or can you do it yourself? What do you have to remove to get to the engine side of the shaft?

I found this link that speaks about shaft replacement:
    http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...25718&t=125718
    http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php

THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FOUND !!!!!!!!!!!!

So I jacked the car up again and went over every item in detail. What I found was the rubber boot (Dust Cover) on the engine side of the fire wall was separated from where it connects to the linkage. This would let in moisture and other stuff and eventually fry the steering shaft. Ordered a new one today. Does anyone have shop instructions on how to do this? It looks like I have to remove brake booster and assembly as well as remove the steering wheel column.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by adfundum View Post
    I have now replaced: Rotors, Brakes, Rims, Front Shocks, Front Strut Mounts, Sway Bar Bushings, Sway Bar Ends Went through the entire bumper fascia to ensure there is nothing loose. It has been to the shop twice and chassis ears were connected. I looked at engine mounts, the pins on the calipers are greased and all the other bar links are tight. Still have the clunking at low speeds over small bumps. The Steering Wheel Intermediate Shaft is the next thing I was going to replace in hopes that this fixes the clunking. The part I am thinking of using is the Dorman 425-154 Steering Shaft. I spoke with the shop about this and even thought I found a TSB about this issue with GM vehicles the shop doesn't think that is it. They say if it was a problem with the intermediate shaft then you could hear it standing still and turning your wheel left and right. What are other peoples thoughts?

Has anyone replaced one? Is this a shop job or can you do it yourself? What do you have to remove to get to the engine side of the shaft?

I found this link that speaks about shaft replacement:
    http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...25718&t=125718
    http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php
    When you have a spare minute or two, try this...
    Have the car running and the steering wheel CENTERED...
    Hold the wheel fairly lightly with one hand, at the 12 o'clock position.
    Don't be squeezing it in a death grip... then turn it a little to the left... then turn it a little to the right...
    Left to 10 o'clock and right to 2 o'clock should be plenty.
    See if you feel a little "CATCH" as your hand goes back and forth past the 12 o'clock position.
    If you do, it could be the intermediate shaft or the steering rack.
    While you are out there... get under it and check the bolts on the steering rack to make sure they are tight.

Does anyone know if you need to pack grease into the Dorman 425-154 Steering Shaft? I know the OEM shafts had you remove, inject with bearing grease and then compress to lubricate.

FYI, I contacted Dorman and they said it was pre-greased. You would use normal wheel bearing grease if you wanted to be a bit more thorough. I will be tackling the replacement this weekend.

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    I will recommend that you get the original one at amazon or rockauto.com.

----------

Amazon has the o em for 125 the parts # is 25810450

peryan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Lux1 DTS. Uncle bought new. Meticulously maintained.

I had a front end rattle/clunking noise going over most any size road imperfections. Actually, slight bumps were louder than a speed bump. My DTS has 89K on it and after reading this great forum, I was able to troubleshoot the root cause much more accurately. The root cause was the strut bearings, but I decided to swap out both strut/spring (QUICK STRUTS) assemblies with OEM styles from Dearborn Axle. I purchased them on e-bay for $183 FOR THE PAIR. Noise gone and total installation time for both sides was 75 minutes. SWEET...
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by peryan View Post
    I had a front end rattle/clunking noise going over most any size road imperfections. Actually, slight bumps were louder than a speed bump. My DTS has 89K on it and after reading this great forum, I was able to troubleshoot the root cause much more accurately. The root cause was the strut bearings, but I decided to swap out both strut/spring (QUICK STRUTS) assemblies with OEM styles from Dearborn Axle. I purchased them on e-bay for $183 FOR THE PAIR. Noise gone and total installation time for both sides was 75 minutes. SWEET...
    Hello peryan,

I am glad to hear that you were able to address the concern you were experiencing on your vehicle. Thank you very much for posting your experience, I hope that it helps other community members who are having the same concern as well.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

I had the same type rattle, 30 mph & small bumps made a rattle like a loose caliper. Had it to 2 shops up N. that couldn't find it.
    Fixed to-day at Hanson's in Leesburg, control arm bracket that bolts to the frame, the bracket bolts were loose. 2 + years of irration gone.
    Norm.

TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS

Where exactly is the control arm bracket located. I'm ready to put a wrench on it to see if it will fix my rattle as well.

jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist

Quote Originally Posted by peryan View Post
    How do you find the ride compared to the original struts? Is it as smooth? I worry with aftermarket struts that the suspension will be rougher.

Thanks!
    -Justin

Personally I don't notice a difference at all as to the ride. I re-used the springs.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Control arm also known as an A arm I believe, ball joint on the outside, shaped like a A with 2 brackets attaching it to the frame. Pins & bushings attach the A-arm to the frame bracket. This is what was explained to me. The mech. checked every nut & bolt under the front end & found 2 loose ones.
    Norm.

peryan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Lux1 DTS. Uncle bought new. Meticulously maintained.

The Dearborn Axle struts greatly improved the overall feel of the car. It's just as comfortable as far as the ride smoothness goes, but it's firmer over railroad tracks, etc. It feels like it won't ever bottom out which I like. The original struts bottomed out over large bumps several times. I am very happy with how it turned out and would definitely recommend it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.