Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
Like Tree15Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. First of all I want to say how much I do love my new to me DTS. It ...
  1. #1
    jsorrell's Avatar
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    266

    Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Hi all. First of all I want to say how much I do love my new to me DTS. It is by far the best car I've ever driven and it just feels like "home" when I drive it if you know what I mean :-) One thing I have noticed and I'm not sure where to begin is the what feels like some issue with the front end. It feels sloppy when taking curves, even at moderate speed (its the FE1 Susp so I expect it to be mushy but it just doesn't feel stable) and the steering wheel tugs ever so slightly as I'm turning the wheel like the Power Steering is pushing back like a heartbeat or maybe its cutting out ever so slightly. I also notice that the steering wheel doesn't seem aseffortless to turn as I'm used to with Caddys (my experience with them was a 90 brougham d'elgance and a 96 STS). Should the DTS has the kind of steering that you can turn with one finger kinda thing or is it supposed to be a little "sporty" than caddys of yesteryear? I just expected it to be very light at low speeds. Any ideas? Is this normal? I have a chevrolet dealership right down the road and was thinking of taking it to them to have it looked at with the steering and possibly go through the whole car just to see if they catch anything while its under the NYS Used car warranty. I'm hesitant to bring it to a Chevy dealer instead of Cadillac but the Caddy one is an hour away. Just don't know if a non-caddy dealer would have enough knowledge on Caddys to really do a good job. Any thoughts on that part too?

    Thanks!!!
    -Justin

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    The steering is NOT like the Cadillacs of days gone by.
    It is quite a bit stiffer and has a lot more road feel thru the steering wheel...
    That being said, it shouldn't have a pulsating feeling coming back at you thru the steering wheel when making a turn.

    As for the MUSHY and UNSTABLE feeling... Your car may possibly be like mine and be very sensitive to tire pressure.
    If I run 30psi like is recommended, my car doesn't handle well at all.
    If I run 34/35 in the front and 33/34 in the rear, it is like a whole different car.
    Just something to keep in mind and maybe experiment with.

  4. #3
    jsorrell's Avatar
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    266

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Hey SuperJim. Thank you for the response :-) I'll try the tire pressures tomorrow. According to the DIC they all have around 30 in them. Do you find the ride is rougher with the higher pressures or does it still ride smooth?

  5. #4
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    Hey SuperJim. Thank you for the response :-) I'll try the tire pressures tomorrow. According to the DIC they all have around 30 in them. Do you find the ride is rougher with the higher pressures or does it still ride smooth?
    Maybe just a teeny tiny bit...
    You may not even notice it, but even if you do, the increase in the handling and responsiveness to your steering inputs make it well worth it.
    jsorrell likes this.

  6. #5
    jsorrell's Avatar
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    266

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Hey SuperJim,

    So I braved the cold tonight and ran it down to the local gas station and put 35psi in all 4 tires just to try it and WOW what a difference. Might just be me but the tugging when turning and accelerating seems to have disappeared. I wont know for sure until I take it on my errands tomorrow which should put about 60 miles on it of back roads and highway. One thing for sure is it feels much more surefooted now with 35 in each tire. I was worried there might be something big wrong with it lol. I think I'll still take it to a GM Dealer though and have them check everything out. Still not decided if I wanna drive an hour to go to a Caddy dealer for a thorough check or hit up a Chevy or Buick dealer which are much closer but I worry about them being well versed in Cadillac or maybe I'm just overthinking things and any GM dealership should have training on Caddies. Any ideas in that regard?

    -Justin

  7. #6
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    Hey SuperJim,

    So I braved the cold tonight and ran it down to the local gas station and put 35psi in all 4 tires just to try it and WOW what a difference. Might just be me but the tugging when turning and accelerating seems to have disappeared. I wont know for sure until I take it on my errands tomorrow which should put about 60 miles on it of back roads and highway. One thing for sure is it feels much more surefooted now with 35 in each tire. I was worried there might be something big wrong with it lol. I think I'll still take it to a GM Dealer though and have them check everything out. Still not decided if I wanna drive an hour to go to a Caddy dealer for a thorough check or hit up a Chevy or Buick dealer which are much closer but I worry about them being well versed in Cadillac or maybe I'm just overthinking things and any GM dealership should have training on Caddies. Any ideas in that regard?

    -Justin
    If "I" were going to take mine in for a checkup from someone other than a Cadillac dealer... I would probably go to the Buick dealer.
    The Buick Lucerne is similar to the DTS so they would probably be a little more familiar with it.
    But it all kind just depends on haw good and how thorough the individual tech is.
    Remember... you are going to be paying SHOP RATE for the checkup... $100 to $125 an hour...

  8. #7
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,934

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    Hey SuperJim,

    So I braved the cold tonight and ran it down to the local gas station and put 35psi in all 4 tires just to try it and WOW what a difference. Might just be me but the tugging when turning and accelerating seems to have disappeared. I wont know for sure until I take it on my errands tomorrow which should put about 60 miles on it of back roads and highway. One thing for sure is it feels much more surefooted now with 35 in each tire. I was worried there might be something big wrong with it lol. I think I'll still take it to a GM Dealer though and have them check everything out. Still not decided if I wanna drive an hour to go to a Caddy dealer for a thorough check or hit up a Chevy or Buick dealer which are much closer but I worry about them being well versed in Cadillac or maybe I'm just overthinking things and any GM dealership should have training on Caddies. Any ideas in that regard?

    -Justin
    Hello Justin,

    I would suggest contacting them to see if they would be familiar with your vehicle and willing to take a look at your vehicle. You should also inquire as to how much the diagnosis fee would be to have them check into these issues as well. If you would like, I could contact them on your behalf. I would just need your name, contact info, VIN, and dealerships you would like me to contact. You can provide me with these in a private message. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  9. #8
    jsorrell's Avatar
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    266

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    So I put new tires on the car and its still doing that stuff grrr. They did note that the wheel bearings are starting to go, not sure if that can cause what the problem is. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I watched them balance the tires and the balancer showed it as good but I still have a vibration and the steering wheel still pulses and feels like it takes a lot more effort than it should when driving. It starts to fatigue my hands :-/

    ----------

    Greg,

    Thank you for the reply :-) I'm actually all set up to see a local dealer that is more than willing to work on my car :-)

  10. #9
    TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    103
    Have you had an alignment? I was getting vibrations that the dealer said was a bad tire. An alignment fixed it.

  11. #10
    jsorrell's Avatar
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by TerrBear
    Have you had an alignment? I was getting vibrations that the dealer said was a bad tire. An alignment fixed it.
    Her TerrBear,

    The selling dealer said they checked it but I'm thinking I'm gonna have it looked at :-)

  12. #11
    jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    286

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    Hey SuperJim. Thank you for the response :-) I'll try the tire pressures tomorrow. According to the DIC they all have around 30 in them. Do you find the ride is rougher with the higher pressures or does it still ride smooth?
    I have been running ~34-35 psi on all four tires for long time and I haven't felt any rough ride.

  13. #12
    jsorrell's Avatar
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    266

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by jazoo View Post
    I have been running ~34-35 psi on all four tires for long time and I haven't felt any rough ride.
    Yeah running with 35 made a noticeable difference in handling but still rides smooth imho.

  14. #13
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,934

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    Greg,

    Thank you for the reply :-) I'm actually all set up to see a local dealer that is more than willing to work on my car :-)
    Hello Justin,

    You are very welcome! I am glad to hear that your local dealership is willing to look into the concern you are experiencing. Please keep us updated and if you would like any assistance, please feel free private message me. I will be on the lookout for your future updates!

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  15. #14
    jsorrell's Avatar
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New England
    Age
    30
    Posts
    266
    They did find that the right front wheel bearing is basically shot and the drivers side is headed out too. Have my appt this coming Friday at the local gm dealership to double check and see if they see anything else that needs to be taken care of when I go to my selling dealer (ford dealership) to get all things repaired under the NY State used car warranty. I also have a Ford ESP but that will cost me my $100 ded so ill have the selling dealer do it under the NY warranty even though they are almost an hour away. From reading up on bad wheel bearing symptoms it seems like it might be the root of all my front end issues (hoping anyway) such as the wandering, vibration, and slight throbbing on the power steering and the power steering requiring a lot more effort than I feel it should. Maybe the ps pump is headed south too? Can't wait til the car is perfect I love love love it :-)

    Justin

  16. #15
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,934

    Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    They did find that the right front wheel bearing is basically shot and the drivers side is headed out too. Have my appt this coming Friday at the local gm dealership to double check and see if they see anything else that needs to be taken care of when I go to my selling dealer (ford dealership) to get all things repaired under the NY State used car warranty. I also have a Ford ESP but that will cost me my $100 ded so ill have the selling dealer do it under the NY warranty even though they are almost an hour away. From reading up on bad wheel bearing symptoms it seems like it might be the root of all my front end issues (hoping anyway) such as the wandering, vibration, and slight throbbing on the power steering and the power steering requiring a lot more effort than I feel it should. Maybe the ps pump is headed south too? Can't wait til the car is perfect I love love love it :-)

    Justin
    Hello Justin,

    I am glad to hear that they were able to find the concern you were experiencing. I hope that your vehicle is repaired soon and you are able to enjoy it even more than you do now! Thanks for keeping us updated!

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    jsorrell likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting