Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by jsorrell Well according to the dealership all my tires were "off by a quarter" he suggested that ...
    Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    Well according to the dealership all my tires were "off by a quarter" he suggested that maybe the place that did my mount and balance had their balancer off kilter. They also noted that the alignment was pretty off. I drove it home and hoped to god it was all fixed but sure enough its still got the vibration and I'm still constantly correcting the wandering... this is really annoying. I dunno what else could be causing it and I'd hate to spend $100 on a road force balance if its something else. Does anyone else have any ideas on what might be causing it? Last resort I'll road balance but I'll probably wait til I get my all seasons back on in the spring and then just buy a cheap set of rims to mount the snow tires on and if it turns out the all seasons with a road balance fixes it I'll road balance the winters too just trying to come up with any other possible culprits... this sucks :-(

-Justin

----------

Just thinking maybe I have an out of round tire or a bent rim? Maybe a rotate might help pinpoint. Any thoughts on that?
    I think that is a smart idea, but I think it will drive you crazy way before spring. The alignment in a Cadillac is usually a waste of money unless you really hit something hard and you're steering wheel is off and the car is pulling. I think you should have spent the time and money and get a GOOD TIRE SHOP forget Chrysler, drive to where ever you have to go to get a pro to RFB the wheels, they will be able to tell you if you have a damaged tire or wheel. No more work or guess work on you're part. I love to work on my cars, but I also believe time is money, even our time.

jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    What kind of damage do you have to the wheel?? Describe it for me.
    You can check to see if the wheel that is now on the rear is bent by jacking that wheel up, placing a block or something by the wheel that you can lay some type of bar or long screwdriver on.
    Place the end of the screwdriver about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch from the part of the rim right next to the tire.
    Turn the tire and see if the distance from the edge of the rim and the end of the screwdriver stays about the same.
    A LITTLE variation is OK, but if there is more than about 1/4 inch, you may need to have the wheel straightened.
    It may have hit a pothole or curb real hard and be bent.

At the same time, you can place something on the garage floor about a half inch from the tread of the tire and check for ROUNDNESS.
    In checking for roundness of the tire, this needs to be done as soon as you park the car after a fairly long drive... at least 5 miles.
    When tires sit in one place, like in your garage, and cool off after driving, they can/will get FLAT SPOTS on them where they sit against the cold floor with all the weight of the car on them.
    Mine are fairly bad about that...
    In cold weather, I have a little vibration till I drive 2 or 3 miles and the tires flex enough to warm up enough for the flat spots to go away.
    Its got some road rash from the prior owner. Looks like they may have whacked a curb pretty rough or something. Doesn't appear to be htat bad but maybe enough to bend it a bit? I just got off the phone with the Local Ford dealership that I've used for the last 10 years on most of my cars that has a great service department and I asked if they had RFB and they do. They are $69.95 for the RFB and she said they will be able to tell if it is a tire or a wheel issue or not so I made an appt for xmas eve at 1pm. Hopefully they can put an end to this and we can get a final answer on to what I need to do lol. If it turns out the wheel is bent or the tire is out of round but not by much can the RFB correct that or will I still need to get a new tire or wheel?

Thanks!
    -Justin

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Caddy View Post
    I think that is a smart idea, but I think it will drive you crazy way before spring. The alignment in a Cadillac is usually a waste of money unless you really hit something hard and you're steering wheel is off and the car is pulling. I think you should have spent the time and money and get a GOOD TIRE SHOP forget Chrysler, drive to where ever you have to go to get a pro to RFB the wheels, they will be able to tell you if you have a damaged tire or wheel. No more work or guess work on you're part. I love to work on my cars, but I also believe time is money, even our time.
    I couldn't agree more thats why I called my local Ford dealer. They have all the latest tech with suspension and alignment and I trust their work, they always do a good job with my Fords Ive had and the Escape I still have that my Fiance drives and to top it off their RFB is less than half of the chevy dealership down the road from them lol.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Its got some road rash from the prior owner. Looks like they may have whacked a curb pretty rough or something. Doesn't appear to be htat bad but maybe enough to bend it a bit? I just got off the phone with the Local Ford dealership that I've used for the last 10 years on most of my cars that has a great service department and I asked if they had RFB and they do. They are $69.95 for the RFB and she said they will be able to tell if it is a tire or a wheel issue or not so I made an appt for xmas eve at 1pm. Hopefully they can put an end to this and we can get a final answer on to what I need to do lol. If it turns out the wheel is bent or the tire is out of round but not by much can the RFB correct that or will I still need to get a new tire or wheel?

Thanks!
    -Justin
    RFB can compensate for a good bit...
    It kinda depends on how bad it is... Hopefully whatever it is the RFB can fix it, or at least minimize it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    RFB can compensate for a good bit...
    It kinda depends on how bad it is... Hopefully whatever it is the RFB can fix it, or at least minimize it a lot.
    God I hope so lol. And The $70 RFB is a lot better than $150 or even the $100 one and I know the techs and service managers well at the Ford dealer. They are a small operation and the owners are very nice people. My grandfather worked for them for a couple years before he passed away delivering cars and picking up dealer swaps they are very very nice people for sure and I hope they can fix my problem or at least tell me what I need to do :-) That and if I do need to RFB each time I swap my all seasons/snow tires $70 is acceptable 2X a year compared to $150 lol
    Superjim likes this.

Well I just got back from getting the DTS RoadForce Balanced and they said that they rebalanced all the tires. They also checked the alignment for me and said the alignment was spot on. I left there hopefully and once I got the car to around 55-60 the shake and vibration was much worse than before :-/ This really starting to get to me. I have an appointment on Monday to have them look at it again, hopefully they can figure this out as its just ridiculous at this point grrr. So far - 2 New Front Wheel Hubs, 1 Alignment, 2 Balances, 1 RFB, and an alignment check and its not only not fixed, but much much worse. Anyone have any other ideas? :-( I'm ready to pull my hair out...

Have you checked the STEERING RACK to make sure it is bolted up tight ??
    Have you checked the tie rod ends?
    What kind of tires are running on it ??

Hey SuperJim!

I will have them look at the entire front end when they take it in on monday, haven't looked at the steering rack or the tie rod ends. I'm running General Atlimax Arctic tires (not studded). The vibration was there when I had my all seasons on (Goodyear Energy somethings) so I doubt its the tire but who knows. Its just extremely aggravating to say the least.

-Justin

Hey SuperJim!

I will have them look at the entire front end when they take it in on monday, haven't looked at the steering rack or the tie rod ends. I'm running General Atlimax Arctic tires (not studded). The vibration was there when I had my all seasons on (Goodyear Energy somethings) so I doubt its the tire but who knows. Its just extremely aggravating to say the least.

-Justin
    Justin,
    I can believe THAT...
    Since it has had the vibration with two different sets of tires, it is probably not the tires.
    That only leaves the possibility that something is loose of damaged in the front end... SOMEWHERE...
    The problem, of course, is finding out exactly WHAT it is.
    Don't forget to have them check all three engine mounts... If one is damaged or broken, that could also cause a vibration... but it shouldn't have anything to do with the wandering feeling you get when you are driving it.
    The wondering part almost has to be front end or tires.

Thanks for the advice SuperJim! I'll have them look real good at the front end. Hopefully whatever it is is covered under my Ford ESP. If not do you have any idea how much motor mount replacement might cost? I've heard that thrown around a few times.

Thanks!
    -Justin

Thanks for the advice SuperJim! I'll have them look real good at the front end. Hopefully whatever it is is covered under my Ford ESP. If not do you have any idea how much motor mount replacement might cost? I've heard that thrown around a few times.

Thanks!
    -Justin
    I'm sorry... I have no idea what it would cost.
    It would think it should be covered under your warranty.

God I hope so, I've already spend about $300 trying to figure this out :-/

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I know motor mount issues aren't common on 2006+ DTS' but I would check that and the dog bones up top just in case. Any wear in those and it can cause some vibrations. I'm dealing with one right now from 65-75MPH. It might also be worn struts or control arms. Get the dealer to check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003
    I know motor mount issues aren't common on 2006+ DTS' but I would check that and the dog bones up top just in case. Any wear in those and it can cause some vibrations. I'm dealing with one right now from 65-75MPH. It might also be worn struts or control arms. Get the dealer to check those out.
    I'll have them check. Thank you for the ideas! :-)

Just wanted to send out another update. They did another roadforce balance and said that the car threw 2 weights and thats why it was so bad. Makes me wonder if they screwed up with putting them on because it literally happened right after I pulled outta the dealership on xmas eve when they did the roadforce... hmmm. anyway the car is much better now, still a slight vibration but barely noticable so I'm good with that until spring when I get my new Michelins. I did notice that the steering still felt funny so I had a friend of mine drive it and tell me if he noticed anything. He said it drove great when we first started driving it but about 15 mins later we went to take curve at about 55 in a 55 zone and he noted that something didn't feel right. He said the wheel felt funny like it was a little tougher to turn and wanted to keep going straight so he had to put some extra effort into it that he expected. Thats pretty much in line with my biggest concern. Its like the steering wheel reduces its power steering or something while still working. I wonder if its an issue with the variable power steering? How would that be diagnosed? When they did the rebalance yesterday I had them double check the front end again and they said it all looks great, they didn't see anything wrong or potentially going south and gave it a clean bill of health. On the test drive they didn't note any issues but granted it was a 5 min test drive.

Thanks!
    -Justin
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell
    Just wanted to send out another update. They did another roadforce balance and said that the car threw 2 weights and thats why it was so bad. Makes me wonder if they screwed up with putting them on because it literally happened right after I pulled outta the dealership on xmas eve when they did the roadforce... hmmm. anyway the car is much better now, still a slight vibration but barely noticable so I'm good with that until spring when I get my new Michelins. I did notice that the steering still felt funny so I had a friend of mine drive it and tell me if he noticed anything. He said it drove great when we first started driving it but about 15 mins later we went to take curve at about 55 in a 55 zone and he noted that something didn't feel right. He said the wheel felt funny like it was a little tougher to turn and wanted to keep going straight so he had to put some extra effort into it that he expected. Thats pretty much in line with my biggest concern. Its like the steering wheel reduces its power steering or something while still working. I wonder if its an issue with the variable power steering? How would that be diagnosed? When they did the rebalance yesterday I had them double check the front end again and they said it all looks great, they didn't see anything wrong or potentially going south and gave it a clean bill of health. On the test drive they didn't note any issues but granted it was a 5 min test drive. Thanks! -Justin
    Just wanted to update. Today I had the Buick/gmc dealer swap my all seasons on and do a RFB. The car still doesn't seem right :-/ and the best they could get on the RFB are as follows:

RF - 8
    LF - 12
    RR - 14
    LR - 9

Trying to figure out why they can't get the 12 and 14 under 10. Any ideas?

Justin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.