Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. So I got an update today when I brought the Caddy to the local Chevy dealer that I ...
    jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist

Re: Front End Possible Issue on my 2007 DTS?

Hi all. So I got an update today when I brought the Caddy to the local Chevy dealer that I like. They checked the front end and said that both wheel bearings are bad. The numbers they gave me were 12 on the driver side and 24 on the passenger side in the front. I called the selling ford dealer and they are ordering two front hub assemblies by Timkin (sp?) and said they are a good brand. I have an appt for friday the 13th to have them replaced under the NYS used car warranty so no out of pocket :-)
    Superjim and Tom's Caddy like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jsorrell View Post
    Hi all. So I got an update today when I brought the Caddy to the local Chevy dealer that I like. They checked the front end and said that both wheel bearings are bad. The numbers they gave me were 12 on the driver side and 24 on the passenger side in the front. I called the selling ford dealer and they are ordering two front hub assemblies by Timkin (sp?) and said they are a good brand. I have an appt for friday the 13th to have them replaced under the NYS used car warranty so no out of pocket :-)
    Hello Justin,

That’s great to hear that you will not have to pay out of pocket for this repair! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

*UPDATE*

So today I went to the selling dealership and they said my wheel hubs were in. They pointed over at some boxes and the only ones I could see that said Hubs on them were Duralast... I almost asked if those were my hubs and that they should have been timken but I just wasn't really awake yet and figured it wouldn't be worth a fight and have to come back again (hours drive) another day so I said screw it and left. I came and picked up the car and it does seem different in a good way but it still wanders and the vibration is still there. I do have an appointment for Monday to have it aligned and I called them and asked them to add a balance and a multipoint. I know they were balanced correctly as I saw it done (I know the guy real well that did it when he mounted my snows) and the strange thing is the vibration comes and goes even when going at a set speed on the interstate for example. Today driving home I set the cruise at 70 and it would vibrate through the car and steering wheel off and on all the way home and I'm not quite sure what might be causing that. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    -Justin

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Duralast at auto zone are $93. There are also cheaper brands, timken was $150. Do they have a warranty?
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by stormnn
    Duralast at auto zone are $93. There are also cheaper brands, timken was $150. Do they have a warranty? Norm
    They have the one year mfg warranty and besides that I have a 3yr/36k Ford extracare esp on it that covers wheel hubs.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

*UPDATE*

So today I went to the selling dealership and they said my wheel hubs were in. They pointed over at some boxes and the only ones I could see that said Hubs on them were Duralast... I almost asked if those were my hubs and that they should have been timken but I just wasn't really awake yet and figured it wouldn't be worth a fight and have to come back again (hours drive) another day so I said screw it and left. I came and picked up the car and it does seem different in a good way but it still wanders and the vibration is still there. I do have an appointment for Monday to have it aligned and I called them and asked them to add a balance and a multipoint. I know they were balanced correctly as I saw it done (I know the guy real well that did it when he mounted my snows) and the strange thing is the vibration comes and goes even when going at a set speed on the interstate for example. Today driving home I set the cruise at 70 and it would vibrate through the car and steering wheel off and on all the way home and I'm not quite sure what might be causing that. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    -Justin
    You might know the guy and saw him balance the wheels but unless he RFB them they will still have a vibration. You have to make sure they have the machine to RFB (road force balance) our cars are fussy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Caddy
    You might know the guy and saw him balance the wheels but unless he RFB them they will still have a vibration. You have to make sure they have the machine to RFB (road force balance) our cars are fussy.
    I was thinking about that but I have no clue where to find a place that has a RFB machine ?

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I was thinking about that but I have no clue where to find a place that has a RFB machine ?
    If you have a DISCOUNT TIRE around you somewhere... call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim
    If you have a DISCOUNT TIRE around you somewhere... call them.
    I contacted some dealers I know were open today and a dodge dealer about half an hour away does do road force. They quoted me $100+tax. Does that sound expensive? It seems like a lot for snow tires that will come off in a few months. I do have an appt on mon at the local Chevrolet dealer to align it and I may have them take it for a ride to see if they can pinpoint it. They don't have road force though unfortunately :-/

I contacted some dealers I know were open today and a dodge dealer about half an hour away does do road force. They quoted me $100+tax. Does that sound expensive? It seems like a lot for snow tires that will come off in a few months. I do have an appt on mon at the local Chevrolet dealer to align it and I may have them take it for a ride to see if they can pinpoint it. They don't have road force though unfortunately :-/
    I just called my local Discount tire... it's 10 bucks a tire "IF" you bought the tires from them and 20 bucks a tire if you "DID NOT" buy the tires from them.
    So, the 25 a tire is not TOO FAR out of line...

One thing to remember is, the road force number needs to be at 12 pounds or BELOW... below 10 is even better.
    If it is much above 12 pounds, it isn't going to do much good.

So I'm at the dealer getting the alignment done and I mentioned the road force. Turns out it's $150 for all 4 tires. Ouch. I told em just to try a regular balance and see how it goes. Almost $40 a tire seems a bit much :-/

So I'm at the dealer getting the alignment done and I mentioned the road force. Turns out it's $150 for all 4 tires. Ouch. I told em just to try a regular balance and see how it goes. Almost $40 a tire seems a bit much :-/
    Well according to the dealership all my tires were "off by a quarter" he suggested that maybe the place that did my mount and balance had their balancer off kilter. They also noted that the alignment was pretty off. I drove it home and hoped to god it was all fixed but sure enough its still got the vibration and I'm still constantly correcting the wandering... this is really annoying. I dunno what else could be causing it and I'd hate to spend $100 on a road force balance if its something else. Does anyone else have any ideas on what might be causing it? Last resort I'll road balance but I'll probably wait til I get my all seasons back on in the spring and then just buy a cheap set of rims to mount the snow tires on and if it turns out the all seasons with a road balance fixes it I'll road balance the winters too just trying to come up with any other possible culprits... this sucks :-(

-Justin

----------

Just thinking maybe I have an out of round tire or a bent rim? Maybe a rotate might help pinpoint. Any thoughts on that?

Well according to the dealership all my tires were "off by a quarter" he suggested that maybe the place that did my mount and balance had their balancer off kilter. They also noted that the alignment was pretty off. I drove it home and hoped to god it was all fixed but sure enough its still got the vibration and I'm still constantly correcting the wandering... this is really annoying. I dunno what else could be causing it and I'd hate to spend $100 on a road force balance if its something else. Does anyone else have any ideas on what might be causing it? Last resort I'll road balance but I'll probably wait til I get my all seasons back on in the spring and then just buy a cheap set of rims to mount the snow tires on and if it turns out the all seasons with a road balance fixes it I'll road balance the winters too just trying to come up with any other possible culprits... this sucks :-(

-Justin

Just thinking maybe I have an out of round tire or a bent rim? Maybe a rotate might help pinpoint. Any thoughts on that?
    Can you tell if the vibration is from the front or the back??
    If you are pretty sure it's from the front, rotate them and see if it moves.

Also... what air pressure are you running in the tires ????
    Some of the DTS's (like mine) are very sensitive to air pressure and like to have 34/35 PSI instead of the recommended 30 PSI.
    I hate the way my car handles with 30 PSI... with 34 or 35 it's a totally different car.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Can you tell if the vibration is from the front or the back??
    If you are pretty sure it's from the front, rotate them and see if it moves.

Also... what air pressure are you running in the tires ????
    Some of the DTS's (like mine) are very sensitive to air pressure and like to have 34/35 PSI instead of the recommended 30 PSI.
    I hate the way my car handles with 30 PSI... with 34 or 35 it's a totally different car.
    Hey SuperJim! Thank you for the reply. The past 45 mins I actually went out to my garage (-6*F here so it was hell) and rotated the two passenger side tires front to back (had to because they are rotational tires) and then took it for a test drive. I can't be sure but it feels like the vibration isn't as bad and the steering wheel doesn't appear to feel it as bad. Not sure what that means. I did that side because I remember the guy who originally mounted the tires showed me some damage to my wheel before he started to unmount it (I think they do this for liability reasons and I was standing next to him from the minute I drove the car into the bay for him so I know it wasn't damaged there.) That wheel was on the front so I wanted to see what would happen if I moved it to the back. Like I said it seems different now but I can't say for sure as maybe its my mind wanting it to be better but it does seem like the steering wheel doesn't vibrate as much although I still do feel it in the car just not as bad. Any ideas?

Oh and I'm running 35 in each tire as you suggested before and I admit it makes a huge difference :-)

Hey SuperJim! Thank you for the reply. The past 45 mins I actually went out to my garage (-6*F here so it was hell) and rotated the two passenger side tires front to back (had to because they are rotational tires) and then took it for a test drive. I can't be sure but it feels like the vibration isn't as bad and the steering wheel doesn't appear to feel it as bad. Not sure what that means. I did that side because I remember the guy who originally mounted the tires showed me some damage to my wheel before he started to unmount it (I think they do this for liability reasons and I was standing next to him from the minute I drove the car into the bay for him so I know it wasn't damaged there.) That wheel was on the front so I wanted to see what would happen if I moved it to the back. Like I said it seems different now but I can't say for sure as maybe its my mind wanting it to be better but it does seem like the steering wheel doesn't vibrate as much although I still do feel it in the car just not as bad. Any ideas?

Oh and I'm running 35 in each tire as you suggested before and I admit it makes a huge difference :-)
    What kind of damage do you have to the wheel?? Describe it for me.
    You can check to see if the wheel that is now on the rear is bent by jacking that wheel up, placing a block or something by the wheel that you can lay some type of bar or long screwdriver on.
    Place the end of the screwdriver about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch from the part of the rim right next to the tire.
    Turn the tire and see if the distance from the edge of the rim and the end of the screwdriver stays about the same.
    A LITTLE variation is OK, but if there is more than about 1/4 inch, you may need to have the wheel straightened.
    It may have hit a pothole or curb real hard and be bent.

At the same time, you can place something on the garage floor about a half inch from the tread of the tire and check for ROUNDNESS.
    In checking for roundness of the tire, this needs to be done as soon as you park the car after a fairly long drive... at least 5 miles.
    When tires sit in one place, like in your garage, and cool off after driving, they can/will get FLAT SPOTS on them where they sit against the cold floor with all the weight of the car on them.
    Mine are fairly bad about that...
    In cold weather, I have a little vibration till I drive 2 or 3 miles and the tires flex enough to warm up enough for the flat spots to go away.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.