06 DTS factory speakers wattage?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 06 DTS factory speakers wattage? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone know how many watts the factory speakers have on my 06 DTS? Thanks!...
    lvh7153 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS

06 DTS factory speakers wattage?

Does anyone know how many watts the factory speakers have on my 06 DTS?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 06 DTS factory speakers wattage?

Speakers don't have "watts". Amplifiers output "watts" in some number depending on how big a liar the amp manufacturer is.

For speaker replacement it's always better to look for units that will handle higher power input before distortion sets in - "watts" input. I doubt that anyone has the OEM design specs for power handling of the several different sizes and applications for Cadillac sound systems.

Generally, amplifier output distortion (clipping) ruins speakers, not speaker power input (which is almost nothing most of the time).

Blah, blah. Buy the best speakers you can afford. Don't feed factory speakers with anything other than the factory HU/amplifier setup.
    Caddilack likes this.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Note that there are more than one thread on this forum describing radio amplifier failure from playing the radio at high volume for extended periods. If you want to play it loud and often you may really be looking at replacing the entire system.

kadylac1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CADILLAC DTS
    I have a 2008 Cadillac DTS and I've seen previous posts on how sensitive the Cadillac audio systems are. My stock 8" subwoofer (in my NON-Bose system) is blown, so I just want to uninstall it and trash it. I want replace all my stock door speakers with some new Alpine SPS-510 speakers. Is this possible or would I have replace the entire audio system (stock head unit, stock speakers, stock subwoofer, stock amplifier etc.)? Please help.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by kadylac1
    I have a 2008 Cadillac DTS and I've seen previous posts on how sensitive the Cadillac audio systems are. My stock 8" subwoofer (in my NON-Bose system) is blown, so I just want to uninstall it and trash it. I want replace all my stock door speakers with some new Alpine SPS-510 speakers. Is this possible or would I have replace the entire audio system (stock head unit, stock speakers, stock subwoofer, stock amplifier etc.)? Please help.
    changing speakers have been done by several caddy owners that I know. It's the easiest way to get some extra quality out of your system (quality two way speakers will always out perform stock) as said in other post crappy power sources will do more damage under powering a speaker than a unit overpowering with the speaker with clean steady power. If your unsure try a Memphis speaker PB series, I think that's who makes them, and get the lifetime warranty. If they blow they replace.

Also the sub for your car is around $100

Thanks BlueAngel#07. My stock door speakers are still decent, so maybe I'll just disconnect my blown stock 8" subwoofer and keep the stock door speakers. Do you think that will cause any problems? Gee, thanks for nothing Cadillac!

Thanks BlueAngel#07. My stock door speakers are still decent, so maybe I'll just disconnect my blown stock 8" subwoofer and keep the stock door speakers. Do you think that will cause any problems? Gee, thanks for nothing Cadillac!
    I don't think your going to like the quality of the sound without the sub, but it will work

Thanks again BlueAngel#07. I found my subwoofer on the GM PartsDirect website for $66, so I'll just replace it.

Thanks again BlueAngel#07. I found my subwoofer on the GM PartsDirect website for $66, so I'll just replace it.
    Sweet

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Relative to wattage, what you're really looking for is the resistance of the speaker. They're typically either 4 ohm or 8 ohm. The amplifier will need to work harder to drive a 4 ohm speaker to the same volume level as an 8 ohm speaker.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    Relative to wattage, what you're really looking for is the resistance of the speaker. They're typically either 4 ohm or 8 ohm. The amplifier will need to work harder to drive a 4 ohm speaker to the same volume level as an 8 ohm speaker.
    Actually that's exactly backwards. A 4 ohm speaker will be twice as loud as an 8 ohm speaker. The ohms are resistance to power.
    A 4 ohm speaker will suck more power from an amp than an 8 ohm speaker will.
    An amplifier is designed for a specific resistance and using the wrong one will hurt the sound quality. Using a speaker with too low of a resistance can draw more power than the amp is designed for and damage the amp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.