Best known oil to used
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Best known oil to used in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone I'm a proud owner of a 2007 cadillac dts and I was wondering if anyone knew what type ...
    pauldts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Best known oil to used

Hello everyone I'm a proud owner of a 2007 cadillac dts and I was wondering if anyone knew what type and grade of motor oil is best known for these cars ?

Thank you in advanced

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The slippery type.

There are TONS of threads on oil on this site. Your engine requires 5W-30 oil, and that's as complicated as the answer needs to be. Use whatever brand you'd like.

Conventional, synthetic blend, or full synthetic is irrelevant, as your engine does not require anything more than conventional. If you live somewhere with weather that regularly reaches sub zero temperatures, synthetic will make cold starts slightly easier.

Change the oil according to the OLM, or after 12 months. Ignore any text on the bottles telling you you can run it for 15,000 miles.

Your engine takes 7.5 quarts.

Go to the store, knock all of the 5W-30 bottles off of the shelf, and buy the ones that are pointing at you.

Go to the black tab at the top of the page, and click on Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good info.

Also, this has nothing to do with Electrical.

BTW,
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: Best known oil to used

to the DTS forum.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The best oil to use is the slippery kind - in any brand or type of the viscosity choices recommended in your owner's manual.

Fact: If you were to line up any 25 CF members and ask each of their oil "preferences" you would about cover every major oil brand and type on the market.

(and your engine will never know the difference.......... especially if you don't use the car to compete in NASCAR every Saturday.)

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30......................................
    Budda likes this.

.............is one of the many oils that will work in your engine.

pauldts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you all for your help

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

To be honest, with these V8 engines one of the biggest considerations for the oil you use is what is available everywhere in your area.
    I prefer a brand that I can get at any gas station or parts store I might happen to be near, whether or not the engine actually uses any oil, if the need arises I want to be able to buy some without having to search for it.
    In my area the choice is Mobil-1 . Every gas station, parts store, drive through oil changer, WalMart and Target has 5w30 Mobil1 around here. The selection and choice may be different in your area.
    Of course if you prefer something more exotic (like Royal Purple perhaps) there is nothing wrong with buying more than you need and keeping a spare bottle or two in the trunk.
    I do hate it when I throw something heavy in the trunk and it smooshes a full bottle of oil, though. Not that I have ever done that.

If you need to add oil (and for some reason you can't go to the store you bought your preferred oil in), you can use ANY brand. There's nothing wrong with mixing. You can even mix conventional and synthetic.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

I agree you *can*mix oil brands if necessary without disatrous results.
    Any slippery stuff is preferable to *no* slippery stuff.
    It is still better though to keep to a single brand with a single set of additives.
    According to the Citgo website "Mixing brands is not the best practice because the additive systems in each may be different and when mixed may not function as efficiently as desired. However, no serious problems will occur if you must add a different brand of equivalent quality between oil changes. It is very important to maintain proper oil level."

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

........... and what is the makeup of a "synthetic blend" oil ? 99% dino, 1% synthetic, 50/50, or 1% dino, 99% synthetic - - - your call.

Be very careful when fooling with a high-zinc aftermarket oil or additives !!!!! The first thing to go will be the cat .............. big time.

FWIW I run a home brew mix of 1/2 JGD HR-4 10W-30 synthetic and 1/2 Shell Rotella 30 dino in my yard equipment engines (5) and some of those 4-cycle B&S pieces are 15 years old and see some horrible duty conditions. They are all reliable, clean, and consume NO oil.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/p...gine-oilshtml/

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by pauldts View Post
    Hello everyone I'm a proud owner of a 2007 cadillac dts and I was wondering if anyone knew what type and grade of motor oil is best known for these cars ?

Thank you in advanced
    Welcome to the DTS Forum. I have started using Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30. I have used synthetic blend on other cars in the past.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

I just changed mine after 8000 mi.on Mobile 1, I didn't have to add any between oil changes. The DIC said I still had 29% left. I can't remember if the owners manual recommends Mobile 1 or the Caddy dealer did.
    Norm

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by stormnn View Post
    I just changed mine after 8000 mi.on Mobile 1, I didn't have to add any between oil changes. The DIC said I still had 29% left. I can't remember if the owners manual recommends Mobile 1 or the Caddy dealer did.
    Norm
    Norm;

I'm sure that the Caddy dealer recommended Mobil 1. The Owner's Manual does not make any direct reference to Mobil 1. It does mention that if you are in an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −20°F (−29°C) then it is recommended to use either an SAE 5W-30
    synthetic oil or an SAE 0W-30 oil.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

I was a lifetime Quaker State guy until I got into Cadillacs - the dealer's service dude (whom I was on trusting terms with) recommendation, as well as the sticky label on the oil-fill cap, was Mobil 1.

I switched and have not regretted it, very little consumption plus it handles 90F and -40F with equal capability.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.