New User, New Cadillac Owner, Shady Dealership, How Screwed Over Am I?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, New User, New Cadillac Owner, Shady Dealership, How Screwed Over Am I? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I bought a car from this private dealership. (78k miles, former rental car, lowest trim level) The guys were ...
    ShiningFox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac DTS 2006

New User, New Cadillac Owner, Shady Dealership, How Screwed Over Am I?

So I bought a car from this private dealership. (78k miles, former rental car, lowest trim level) The guys were super firm on the price and I was only able to talk them down on $50 off the the price tag ($11k sticker). I made them sign a due bill fixing some cosmetic issues with the car (new cup holder, driver seat molding trim that was cracked, painting 2 bad spots on the front and rear bumpers) as well as the rear tire-pressure sensors. The idiots kept the car for a week before working on it claiming they are short-staffed, something that a mechanic can work on and fix in a couple of days.

Anyway before I turned the car into them the check engine light came on, I took to to Autozone where they were able to diagnose the issue (a bad O2 sensor: bank 2 sensor 1 I believe). I turned my car into the salesmen to have them work on the issues in the due bill and mentioned the light, I even showed them the diagnosis from Autozone, they told me "It's just a bad mixture of gas" and cleared the code. Without even looking at the issue. It took them forever to work on my car and get it back to me.

Once I picked up my car, the "Service Parking Assist" light came on and the parking sensors stopped working, they worked fine before these jokers got my car. I told them about it right away and they said that they'll look at it later. I had to go to work so I couldn't look at the sensors very thoroughly, but it looked like the 2nd parking sensor from the left was "pushed in". After driving it for a day the check engine light came back on. I drove the car for a bit and then the check engine light disappeared. These jerks said that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car when they scanned it (even though they were the ones who cleared the history without investigating anything, potentially damaging my vehicle).

I took the car in at a later date and they said that the parking sensors looked fine (even though one of them was pushed in via probably too hard of a buffing). And when I inquired with the owner that one of the sensors felt like it was falling into the bumper he told me that was "normal". Then he took his finger and poked it in all the away. They took it out back for 20 minutes and put that sensor back where it belongs while scratching the housing around it. They told me that they will take it to the official GM dealership to have it looked at as well as the check engine light problem which they're "not seeing". Can't the codes still show up in the history even if the light automatically turned off by themselves? My mechanic buddies are telling me so.

How can I talk to these guys and have them work on my car in a timely manner? They said that they can't loan me another car for this duration and that it may take anywhere between weeks to a month and a half. But I called into the GM dealerships they recommended and they said that it shouldn't take longer than an afternoon to diagnose both the parking sensor and CEL issues and get those fixed. Is what the private dealership doing right/wrong? The service at this place sucks and it looks like since they have my money for the car that I'm at the mercy and that all I can do is complain (where they'll say something like "Well we're being kind enough to work on these things for you, other dealerships wouldn't have") or write a bad review for them. But maybe there's another way to sweet talk them? I don't know, because I commute to work and will have to be borrowing my dad's car until then, but I can't picture borrowing it for longer than a week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: New User, New Cadillac Owner, Shady Dealership, How Screwed Over Am I?

From what you are saying... I think the dealer that you bought the car from is just gonna jack you around till you get tired of it and go away...
    They already have your money, now they just want you out of their hair.

I would probably take it to a mechanic I trust or take it to the dealer and get it fixed right.
    People like the dealer you bought from give all car dealers a bad name.
    Replacing an O2 sensor on the front bank takes MAYBE a half hour.
    Fixing the parking sensor takes about 15 minutes or less.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FWIW, The dealer price (retail) on a decent mid-line 2006 DTS with 65,000 miles in excellent condition in the Baltimore-Washington area is around $14,500, and there's a little bit of wiggle room there. Dealer retail used pricing assumes the car is in EXCELLENT condition - no flaws or mechanical problems.

www.kbb.com

Thank you guys for the responses, you were both very helpful, and I look forward to see what I can learn as well as contribute from this community. The check engine light codes can still be pulled from an official GM dealership, correct? Whether or not the light is still blinking? The salespeople were so resistant in saying that nothing's wrong with the car, I assume that they have been clearing the code multiple times instead of just getting this issue looked at. I just dropped my car off this morning and I'll see what they say that the GM dealership says. If they're going to be so stubborn I'll just take it to a GM myself. The salespeople told me: "For the diagnostic through the manufacturer they just drive your car around and see if the light pops up, and there's nothing they can do." But these salesmen have been really avoidant on fixing many problems with the vehicle so my trust in them is pretty much gone. Just can't wait to get my plates from them so I don't have to ever hear from them again.

I guess I was too excited to join the Cadillac Club.

ffrog is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningFox View Post
    ... I made them sign a due bill fixing some cosmetic issues with the car (new cup holder, driver seat molding trim that was cracked, painting 2 bad spots on the front and rear bumpers) as well as the rear tire-pressure sensors. The idiots kept the car for a week before working on it claiming they are short-staffed, something that a mechanic can work on and fix in a couple of days ...
    Small claims court?

How can I verify that they even installed the oxygen sensor properly? To the best of my knowledge once the parking sensors have been fixed I can tell as long as the 'SERVICE PARKING ASSIST' light is turned off, but for the O2 sensor, not so sure... Wouldn't want them to make a copy of the receipt for the sensor, let the vehicle sit there for a day and then give me the copy and return the part not having done anything.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

The place you bought the vehicle from sells cars, They have a mechanic to assist them in selling cars.
    They did what they were paid to do; Sell you a car.
    You found this forum to help you keep your purchased vehicle operational and general comradery.
    Now you need to find a mechanic to help you keep your purchased vehicle operational; It is out of warranty so I would be looking for a decent independent shop.

I'll have my independent mechanic buddy check on the car, but he can tell if the sensor's been replaced or not simply via testing it and such, correct?

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

First of all, I want to WELCOME you to this Forum.

I guess you took a chance dealing with this dealership. You should have walked away after seeing so many cosmetic issues. I mean there could have been other hidden issues which you quickly noticed after you bought the vehicle. Did you get the car history on this car or got it inspected by an independent mechanic? I guess you saw something in this Caddy and you could not walk away from this beauty.

I hope that you got the all the issues with your Caddy fixed to your satisfaction at the dealership you bought the vehicle OR by another reputable shop. I'm sure you learned a lesson that in the future you would not deal with these types of shady dealerships.

MrZoSo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Here's the deal...you buy a car "as is" that's it. However, if you buy the car "as is" and you are owed service on issues at the time of purchase they have to honor it. Simple as that. I am sure they offered you a warranty for purchase of some sort when you bought the car.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningFox View Post
    Thank you guys for the responses, you were both very helpful, and I look forward to see what I can learn as well as contribute from this community. The check engine light codes can still be pulled from an official GM dealership, correct? Whether or not the light is still blinking? The salespeople were so resistant in saying that nothing's wrong with the car, I assume that they have been clearing the code multiple times instead of just getting this issue looked at. I just dropped my car off this morning and I'll see what they say that the GM dealership says. If they're going to be so stubborn I'll just take it to a GM myself. The salespeople told me: "For the diagnostic through the manufacturer they just drive your car around and see if the light pops up, and there's nothing they can do." But these salesmen have been really avoidant on fixing many problems with the vehicle so my trust in them is pretty much gone. Just can't wait to get my plates from them so I don't have to ever hear from them again.

I guess I was too excited to join the Cadillac Club.
    You know what I am confused about...Why would the salesman have anything to do with this? It's a mechanical issue correct? Have the car looked at by a reputable mechanic and then go back to the dealers managment and see what they say.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.