Bulb brightness
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Bulb brightness in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The amber daytime light on the driver's side is about twice as bright as the passenger side. Is there more ...
    coolvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Bulb brightness

The amber daytime light on the driver's side is about twice as bright as the passenger side. Is there more than one bulb on each side so one might be out? Or is a dimming light a sign that a light is getting weak?
    mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (70K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Re: Bulb brightness

The DTS does not use separate bulbs for the DRL (daytime running lamps) and the turn signals. The same bulb is used for both functions...the bulb is steady-on with the DRL and flashing with the signals.

Additionally, the DTS does not use the same bulb as a parking lamp...some cars have the parking lights and the turn signal lights using the same (2-filament) bulb...the turn signal being brighter than the parking light. Instead, the DTS uses those mini white lights next to the headlamps as parking lamps. The turn signal bulb is off when the headlights are on...only flashing when using the signals.

I would guess that the dimming lamp is a sign that the bulb is beginning to fail. I suppose that if the bulb is a 2-filament bulb and there is some malfunction within the bulb causing the dimmer of the 2 filaments to illuminate, rather than the brighter one...perhaps. Either way, it appears that the bulb is not long for this world and should be replaced sometime soon.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Normally incandescent bulbs get brighter before they fail, rather than dimmer. I would posit that either the left hand lamp is about to blow or the right hand lamp has a less than wonderful electrical connection.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

when a filament bulb to its end they either blow out or turn the glass to a black tint... thats gonna be my guess why it is darker. change both bulbs 3157a drivers and passengers side use a good quality bulb they will be nice and amber looking

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

The glass turns to a dark tint *when* the filament burns out, not before. What turns it dark is the smoke from the filament burning as it destroys itself. As that happens the bulb has only moments to live. I have never seen a smoked bulb that was still lighting.
    A dim bulb is because of low current through the bulb. That is almost always a dirty connection. The dirty connection may be at a connector, it may be at the base of the bulb, or it may be a bad ground. Look for corrosion in or around the bulb socket. Clean it with alcohol and a stiff non-metallic brush. A metallic brush may clean off the metal coating of the connector. Make sure the electrical power is disabled or disconnected.
    As much work as the bulbs are to change in this vehicle I would clean every connector I could reach while I had it apart.

coolvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Thank you all for the information.
    Mark

Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Atavar View Post
    The glass turns to a dark tint *when* the filament burns out, not before. What turns it dark is the smoke from the filament burning as it destroys itself. As that happens the bulb has only moments to live. I have never seen a smoked bulb that was still lighting.
    Though your logic would make sense, I've had several single and double filament bulbs in the past that were still working with a darkened tint to the glass. The funny thing about it is I would have never known that the bulb was like that, if I didn't have to change another bulb that was completely burnt out. The one that was burnt out looked less dark than the one still working.

My guess is that the bulb had reached a temperature that was higher than normal, but not high enough to burn it out completely. Also, some of the bulbs that were blackened lasted a long time that way, so it was not near the end of it's life.

This happened on various different vehicles in the past, and I've seen it on other people's cars as well. The color looks almost like a chrome with a slight black tint to it, and it covers a portion of the inside of the glass, allowing light to still shine through yet.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The blackening of the glass is a normal effect of a burning filament, not a sign of overheating, or an indication of a blown bulb.

As the filament burns, the particles have nowhere to go but onto the inside surface of the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The blackening of the glass is a normal effect of a burning filament, not a sign of overheating, or an indication of a blown bulb.

As the filament burns, the particles have nowhere to go but onto the inside surface of the glass.
    Not necessarily it is a normal effect of a burning filament. I've had many bulbs that never had any blackening at all, even after it burnt out.

just change the bulbs clean connections and do not forget to put a little grease on the connection then its a wrap

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beauty DTS

Not necessarily it is a normal effect of a burning filament. I've had many bulbs that never had any blackening at all, even after it burnt out.
    It depends on the bulbs wattage, and how long it lasts before the filament fails. But if a bulb is illuminated, it is depositing material onto the glass, for as long as it's on.

It depends on the bulbs wattage, and how long it lasts before the filament fails. But if a bulb is illuminated, it is depositing material onto the glass, for as long as it's on.
    I am not talking about slight deposits on the inside of the glass like you are referring to. What I am talking about is an extreme blackening that looks like the bulb had blown, but it still gives off light. Also, the wattage would not have anything to do with the blackening that I'm referring to, if the bulb is the correct one for the given sockets electrical capacity.

It's the same thing, just varying degrees of it.

Wattage does play a part. For the most part, lower wattage bulbs last longer. The longer they burn, the more buildup. Compare a (still functioning) 3 year old headlamp bulb, to a (still functioning) 10 year old high beam bulb that has been used as a DRL 99% of the time. The high beam bulb will be more discolored (and yes, I realize the DRL function also cuts voltage in half, but wattage/brightness is reduced, and lifespan increased at the same time).

It's the same thing, just varying degrees of it.

Wattage does play a part. For the most part, lower wattage bulbs last longer. The longer they burn, the more buildup. Compare a (still functioning) 3 year old headlamp bulb, to a (still functioning) 10 year old high beam bulb that has been used as a DRL 99% of the time. The high beam bulb will be more discolored (and yes, I realize the DRL function also cuts voltage in half, but wattage/brightness is reduced, and lifespan increased at the same time).
    We can go on and on all day regarding theory, but it's only theory, and it is not the same thing. If wattage truly played a part in it, then according to your theory, all high wattage bulbs would be completely blackened way before they burn out. However, that is not true. I've seen many old high wattage bulbs that had burnt out, but there was no blackening of the inside of the glass. The only hint that there was a problem with the bulb, besides the fact that it no longer lit up was that the filament was broken.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by coolvt View Post
    The amber daytime light on the driver's side is about twice as bright as the passenger side. Is there more than one bulb on each side so one might be out? Or is a dimming light a sign that a light is getting weak?
    mark
    Sorry Mark, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by coolvt View Post
    mark
    1 bulb is most likely has been changed already the other one has not been changed since car was built change out both amber and change the parking lights #194 the 4 amber led looking lights are not serviceable

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.