shimmy....haven't found the answer yet
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, shimmy....haven't found the answer yet in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My '07 DTS with the NHP engine just got new tires yesterday. I've noticed prior that it has a shimmy ...
    revolcallidac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 DTS NHP

shimmy....haven't found the answer yet

My '07 DTS with the NHP engine just got new tires yesterday. I've noticed prior that it has a shimmy at 20mph. I thought it was the old tires. Brand new tires, different brand than previous, ride smooth and straight...but from a stop as I accelerate like clockwork at 20mph I feel the shimmy, then it stops. Going down the highway if I kick it down to pass, I feel it while it's gaining speed until it shifts back down. I don't believe it's the transmission at all. I know for a fact it isn't the brand spankin' new tires. I"ve read other posts but haven't found definitive answers yet. I did replace the motor torque strut a couple months ago as the original was shot but it didn't help. I'm just puzzled by it and apparently others have been too. car just turned 99,000 and other than the power steering hose bursting under warranty it's been great.

BTW...on a side note, My heated/cooled seats are also caput just like others...but I believe I can fix that problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: shimmy....haven't found the answer yet

The cause of shimmy could be due to several factors; i.e., wear & tear of the front suspension components, improper alignment, imbalance of wheels, etc. I am sure you know that the suspension and steering problems are often the result of accumulated wear in all of the front end components. I know that a vehicle with 99,000 miles needs to be professionally inspected for items such as tightness of all fasteners & joints, conditions of the rubber bushings & pivot points, excess free play in the steering wheel, wear in the ball joints, tightness of all linkage parts (idler arms, tie rod ends, grease fittings, etc). This is especially crucial for a vehicle which has been owned by more than one owner. I assume that all four wheels were balanced at the time of new tires installation.

When did you get the four-wheel alignment? When did you get the suspension system inspected thoroughly by a reputable auto-shop?

Oh yeah, balanced by the best tire shop in town. They ride and drive straight and smooth...it's just at 20mph can feel it, have for several thousand miles. There's no play in the steering. Handles beautifully at any cruising speed. Car was checked out by dealer before warranty expired (it was doing it then too) but can't find anything. I've read about DTS/Lucernes having some shimmy problems but no one has given any specific answer. Just looking for some more insight. It's not bothering us but I would like to find it. Thanks for the input so far.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

CV joint.

Is that difficult to change out? I do most of my own work since warranty expired but have never had to do a CV joint on any car before.

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    Not difficult at all. Remove wheel, brakes. Wheel hub assembly. Take two strut bolts out. The cv shaft has a lock ring on the shaft coming out of the trans. So a gentle pry bar works well. Slide wheel side out of knuckle and pull the whole shaft out. Easy enough

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.