windshield care
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Superjim
  • 2 Post By danog
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, windshield care in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have some water spots at the edges of the windows on my '08 DTS LuxII that I cannot seem ...
    Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Question windshield care

i have some water spots at the edges of the windows on my '08 DTS LuxII that I cannot seem to remove. I am considering polishing the glass. Do any of the exterior glass surfaces have a coating that would be damaged by abrasive polishing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Re: windshield care

I would use RED LABEL BON-AMI ...
    You will never find a better glass cleaner.

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Ami-04030-...eywords=bonami
    billbill1, danog and Caddilack like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Atavar View Post
    i have some water spots at the edges of the windows on my '08 DTS LuxII that I cannot seem to remove. I am considering polishing the glass. Do any of the exterior glass surfaces have a coating that would be damaged by abrasive polishing?
    Hello Atavar,

I would suggest reaching out to your local Cadillac dealership’s part department with this question. If you would like, I could reach out to the dealership on your behalf as well. If you would like me to do this, please send me a private message with your VIN and the dealership you would like to work with in a private message so I can reach out to them. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

danog is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

#91-2-123: CHATTERING WIPER BLADES OR WIPEABILITY
    SUBJECT: CHATTERING WIPER BLADES OR BLADE WIPEABILITY (CLEANING PROCEDURE)
    VEHICLES AFFECTED: 1991 AND ALL PRIOR YEARS, ALL CARS, VANS AND TRUCKS
    CONDITION:
    ---------- Chattering and poor wipeability comments may be due to the windshield glass and/or wiper blades becoming contaminated by insect residue, dirt, road grime, car wax etc.
    CORRECTION:
    ------------
    1. Clean the windshield glass with GM #1050011 (Bon Ami) glass cleaner or equivalent.
    IMPORTANT: The glass is clean when rinse water does not "bead-up", but "sheets" across the entire glass surface. Multiple cleanings may be required to remove all contaminants.
    Clean the wiper blades by using a cloth that has been saturated with full strength washer solution and wipe vigorously. Rinse the blades with water after cleaning.
    General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

#06-08-43-003D: Windshield Wiper Performance, Cleaning Instructions and Maintenance - (Feb 12, 2013)
    Subject: Windshield Wiper Performance, Cleaning Instructions and Maintenance
    Models: 2014 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2013 and 2014 model years and update the glass cleaner part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-43-003C (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

Wiper Concerns
    Most concerns about windshield wiper performance are the result of dirty wiper blades, damaged wiper blades, or worn out blades that are continuing to be used beyond their useful life. Depending on environmental conditions, wiper blades can have dramatic differences in lifespan. Here are some tips and guidelines to maximize wiper performance to avoid damage to the blades, and to avoid unnecessary replacements.
    Many wiper blades are being replaced under warranty with reviews showing there is nothing wrong with the returned blades other than a build-up of dirt. Additionally, advise the customer to review the information in their Owner Manual.
    Inspection and Cleaning
    Scheduled Maintenance
    • Inspect your wipers rubber blades every 4-6 months or 12,000 km (7,500 mi) for wear, cracking or contamination.
    • Clean the windshield and the rubber wiper blades (using the procedure below) if the blades are not clearing the glass satisfactorily. If this does not correct the problem, then replace the rubber elements.
    Cleaning Procedure
    Important: Avoid getting windshield washer fluid on your hands. Wear rubber gloves or avoid direct contact with washer fluid.
    Important: Do not use gasoline, kerosene, or petroleum based products to clean wiper blades.
    • Clean the rubber blades using a lint free cloth or paper towel soaked with windshield washer fluid or a mild detergent. You should see significant amounts of dirt being removed on the cloth.
    • Be sure to wash the windshield thoroughly when you clean the blades. Bugs, road grime, sap and a buildup of car wash/wax treatments may additionally cause wiper streaking.
    Tip: For a larger scale buildup on the windshield, use a non-abrasive cleaner such as Bon-Ami* (www.faultless.com) cleanser with a wet sponge, being sure to use plenty of water to avoid scratching the glass. Flush the surface and body panels completely.
    Tip: For day-to-day exterior glass cleaning and to maintain a streak free appearance, suggest Vehicle Care Glass Cleaner, P/N 19287404 (18 oz) or 19259280 (6 oz) (in Canada, 88865156). This product is an easy to use foaming cleaner that quickly removes dirt and grime from glass surfaces.
    Tip: Interior glass should be cleaned with plain, clean water to eliminate any film or haze on the window and help prevent fogging, a major customer dissatisfier. Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 03-00-89-006 for more information. The New Vehicle Pre-Delivery Inspection form also recommends using plain water to clean interior glass.
    *We believe this material to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such material. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products or equipment from these firms or any such items which may be available from other sources.
    Avoiding Wiper Damage
    The following are major contributors to wiper damage. Some of these you can control and others are environmental concerns.
    • Extremely dusty areas (such as driving on dirt roads) may cause the wipers rubber edge to wear quickly and unevenly.
    • Sand and salt used on roads for increasing winter traction and ice control will cause the wiper blades to wear quicker. Areas with significant snowfall require more frequent blade replacements.
    • Heat and time may cause the rubber blades to take a “permanent set” resulting in the rubber not flexing and turning over uniformly. This condition may result in streaking and/or unwiped areas.
    • Rubber blades are easily cut or torn when using ice scrapers. Likewise pulling blades up off a frozen windshield can tear the rubber. Exercise caution when clearing ice and snow.
    • Using your wipers to “wear through” frost and ice, instead of allowing the defrosters to melt the ice, can dull, nick or tear the rubber blades.
    • Banging wipers on the glass to remove ice and snow may cause the blade to bend, dislodging the rubber and causing potential scratching of the windshield.
    • Ice can form in the pin joints of the wipers, which can cause streaking and unwiped areas. To remove ice from pin joints, compress the blade and rubber edge with your hand to loosen the frozen joints. Consider using Winter Blades that have a rubber cover to avoid this condition.
    Caddilack and jacklogan like this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

.......... or look at the glass polishing kits in www.customchemicalpkg.com

Many auto parts stores stock their products.

You'll need an electric variable speed drill, a spray bottle for water, rags and patience. A couple of brews won't hurt, either.

billbill1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 2006 DTS

Biggest problem is to get rid of "car wash spray WAX".
    If working on an older car, that may NEVER had it's windows CLEANED.
    Use the Bon Ami, several times, it's not easy.
    After the thorough cleaning, I use SEVERAL coats, of RAIN-X, original.
    I can pass an 18 wheeler,on the Interstate, in a rain storm, without the
    wipers on, with a clean windshield. Traveling at night, it's hard to tell if it's raining.
    Another plus, in the Winter, light frost can be removed with the brush on the end
    of your scraper.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Clean is good...I use rain-x myself, Can't beat it with a stick. When I first got my old new one there was something on the windshield that no one could explain. Was some kind of residue that had bonded itself to the windshield, and at night would cause a glare from oncoming traffic that would literally blind you. Tried everything but had to replace the windshield eventually.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.