Daylight running lights not working??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Daylight running lights not working?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My yellow DRL stopped working... The turn signals work, they flash when I lock or unlock the car... But instead ...
    jpoborsky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS, 2000 Deville

Daylight running lights not working??

My yellow DRL stopped working... The turn signals work, they flash when I lock or unlock the car... But instead of the drl coming on during day light the regular lights come come instead. I also turned off the auto lights and switched to manual but I get nothing... No lights then. What could the problem be? Is there a relay or some kind of fuse that would cause only the drl not to work? Or is this another huge cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Daylight running lights not working??

Pay attention to your dash lights...
    If your dash lights are dim during the day... it is most likely the light sensor in the middle of the dash... right behind the windshield.
    If you don't have something covering it up... it probably needs replacing.

The sensor being bad will cause EXACTLY the symptoms you are describing.

The dash board lites do dim and the headlights come on instead of the drl. Nothing is blocking the sensor. Also, I can not turn the drl on manually.. when done manually I get nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoborsky View Post
    The dash board lites do dim and the headlights come on instead of the drl. Nothing is blocking the sensor. Also, I can not turn the drl on manually.. when done manually I get nothing.
    That's the way it will work if the light sensor in the dash is bad or if there is a wire loose.
    Since it don't know if it is light or dark, it will default to dark mode and have the headlights on all the time.

Thanks.. is the sensor a DIY project?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

My yellow DRL stopped working... The turn signals work, they flash when I lock or unlock the car... But instead of the drl coming on during day light the regular lights come come instead. I also turned off the auto lights and switched to manual but I get nothing... No lights then. What could the problem be? Is there a relay or some kind of fuse that would cause only the drl not to work? Or is this another huge cost?
    Hello jpoborsky,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern with your DRLs on your DTS. I do see that Superjim has given you some great advice. I am not sure if you plan on tackling the sensor as a DIY, but if you do plan on taking it into a dealership to have them look into this issue, I would be more than happy to assist you in working with them. Please feel free to private message if this is the route you would like to take. Keep us posted as well so we can know the outcome of this situation. Thank you very much for your time. I will be looking for your future posts.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks.. is the sensor a DIY project?
    I am not sure exactly what it entails getting it out.
    I don't know if you can reach it from below or if you have to take the dash pad off.

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (70K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Also, I can not turn the drl on manually.. when done manually I get nothing.
    Jim is exactly right about sensor...I've had to replace sensors in 2 other cars...the systems are set up to default to "dark" if the sensor isn't telling the system that it's light out.

But in response to your DRLs - I've noticed that, in my car, when I turn the Twilight Sentinel system to "manual", the DRLs do not come on. I believe that they are integral to the Twilight Sentinel system and not a stand-alone feature...so when you turn the Twilight Sentinel system off, you also turn the DRLs off.

As an aside, I've never turned my Twilight Sentinel system off during daylight hours, so it is possible that...when the ambient light sensor is functioning properly...that in daylight hours, it will permit the DRLs to come on when the Twilight Sentinel system is turned off. I'm getting ready to leave work and it is still light out...I'll try it...and post back. Stay tuned...

If you turn the lighting knob all the way to the left (manual) the DRL will NOT come on.
    I keep mine off most of the time to keep from burning the top part of the light assembly.

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The front turn signal lamps are used for DRL operation. The DRLs will operate only when the engine is running and the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position. When the DRLs are ON, no other exterior lamps such as the parking lamps, tail lamps, etc. will be ON. Also, the instrument panel will not be illuminated.

DRL operation is determined by the ambient light sensor and the controlled by the body control module (BCM). The ambient light sensor is a light-sensitive transistor used to monitor outside lighting conditions. The BCM provides a 5-volt reference signal to the sensor. The sensor will vary this voltage signal between 0.2 and 4.9 volts depending on outside lighting conditions. The BCM monitors the ambient light sensor signal circuit to determine if outside lighting conditions are correct for either DRL or headlamp operation. When the BCM determines the conditions are met for DRL operation, it turns ON the front turn signal lamps in a steady non-flashing mode. Any function or condition that turns on the headlamps will cancel DRL operation.
    When the BCM detects low light conditions, it will turn OFF the daytime running lamps and turn ON the low beam headlamps as described above in Low Beam Headlamp Operation. The BCM will also turn ON the low beam headlamps in daylight conditions when the windshield wipers are turned ON.

To get to the sensor you have to remove the Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.