Looking at purchasing a 2008 DTS - Some help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TopherS
  • 1 Post By RicktheRealtor
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Looking at purchasing a 2008 DTS - Some help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Cadillac Team, I am looking to buy myself a 2008 DTS to replace my good old '96 DeVille. Wondered if ...
    beldingsfinest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Looking at purchasing a 2008 DTS - Some help

Cadillac Team,

I am looking to buy myself a 2008 DTS to replace my good old '96 DeVille. Wondered if anyone could run a quick VIN check/ CarFax report on the car I'm looking at purchasing. I know this is asking a pretty big favor, but if some one is willing to help me out here... please let me know.

1G6KD57Y58U155950

-B

----------

Sorry I just saw this in the rules... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...99-carfax.html
    No need to reply, please excuse my request.
    -B

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Re: Looking at purchasing a 2008 DTS - Some help

Quote Originally Posted by beldingsfinest View Post
    [/COLOR]Sorry I just saw this in the rules... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...99-carfax.html
    No need to reply, please excuse my request.
    -B
    No worries...

You did not mention whether you are buying this car through a private party...or...dealership...or...???

If you are buying the car through a dealership, they should be able to provide you with a CarFax Report as part of their sales pitch. CarFax seems to be so common anymore that I would be surprised if the dealership did not have it available for you. If the dealership won't give it to you, walk away...a clean CarFax should be something that a respectable dealership would offer up front...not be strong-armed into giving you.

If you are buying the car through a private party, I would recommend that you sign up for the service. I don't think it is too expensive; considering the costs of potentially-expensive repairs/issues that a report might indicate. If you discover that the CarFax Report is not clean on this car, you've potentially saved yourself some money...and you can use the service to look up the next DTS you find in your search. If the CarFax Report is clean on this particular car, then you can feel better about buying the car. Either way, consider the cost of the CarFax service as part of the cost of the car you will buy.

Good luck in your search. I'm very happy with my 2008 DTS. Hopefully, you will be, as well.
    RippyPartsDept likes this.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I would trust Carfax as far as I could throw it (aka I can't throw worth a sh!t). Here's why: unless an accident on the car is reported to the authorities or the insurance company it will not show up on Carfax. If the car has had any paint work it's usually pretty obvious unless the body and paint shop is that good (ignorance is bliss). My two Cadillac's have had some paint work at some point and guess what... both Carfax were extremely clean. If you're looking for information on service history take the VIN to a GM dealership on a slow afternoon and have them pull up records for you. 4 years/50k miles were covered so you'll get a good idea of what was replaced and of the oil changes (if they were done at GM dealer).

If the car isn't right, don't worry. There are plenty of DTS to be had. Just don't jump into a car you don't absolutely love and have a good history on. You'll end up regretting it.

I agree with you that a clean CarFax report doesn't tell the whole story, but if he finds that there was an accident or some other issue on the report, it could be just he info he needs to decide to walk away and keep looking. In my search, I found a 2008 Cadillac that, in 2008, was involved in an accident in Kansas. The car was low-mileage and at a good price and at a reputable dealership, so by all appearances outside of the CarFax report, it was a good deal ... and ... most likely, the car was fine and the only lasting damage to the car, based on the fact it was in an accident, was to it's value. Just the same, I did not feel comfortable with it and I kept looking. While it's true that the car I would up buying could have been in an accident (even though it has a clean CarFax report), I know that the other one I was looking at was in an accident. So, for me, the CarFax has some value.

Kent7100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    In January this year I happily purchased a 2008 DTS for my parents. My goals for the car were, luxury III, 6 passenger, and ultra low miles. After 3+ months of looking, and a 1500 mile drive to pick it up, I found what was the perfect car for them. It had 28k on the clock, no dings, and still had the new car smell! Unless you are in a rush, take your time and you'll find these are beautiful cars with lots of value and miles left. I thought I'd miss things like the crest on the hood, trumpet horns, auto parking brake release, but the new car so far exceeds the '99 we traded, I almost didn't look back! Good luck!

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by Kent7100 View Post
    In January this year I happily purchased a 2008 DTS for my parents. My goals for the car were, luxury III, 6 passenger, and ultra low miles. After 3+ months of looking, and a 1500 mile drive to pick it up, I found what was the perfect car for them. It had 28k on the clock, no dings, and still had the new car smell! Unless you are in a rush, take your time and you'll find these are beautiful cars with lots of value and miles left. I thought I'd miss things like the crest on the hood, trumpet horns, auto parking brake release, but the new car so far exceeds the '99 we traded, I almost didn't look back! Good luck!
    I miss those things too. I just had an image of a new ATS little sh*tbox with a trumpet horn. Hahahaha.
    BIGDADDYCADDY07 likes this.

beldingsfinest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

I bought the DTS from a private party.

I went ahead and pulled the CarFax for this, but the seller agreed to eat the cost (which I thought was a nice gesture and a bit reassuring as he didn't really see any reason to hide something). I understand not everything would show in a CarFax, but it was nice to see that it went into the local Caddy dealership for it's regular maintenance and the heated windshield washer fluid recall had already been taken care of, if that's what you called GM's action on this :-/ , etc.

It shifts smooth as a dream, runs quiet and tame, no vibrations, or dings. The heated wheel and seats all work - including cooled fronts! (These are all things that, as ryannel2003 pointed out, wouldn't show on the CarFax - so you're right it takes some patience and diligence) I've worked on these DTS's as they were used as early development mules for today's XTS by our engineering teams. So comfortable. (These are all things that, as ryannel2003 pointed out, wouldn't show on the CarFax - so you're right it takes some patience and diligence)

What's this massaging seat all about though? Never heard of/seen that before? Anyone use theirs?

58k miles and ready for more!

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I use the massage seat a good bit when I am on trips or any time my lower back is hurting.

It is especially nice in the winter months with the heated seat on.
    Heated back rub...

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by beldingsfinest View Post
    What's this massaging seat all about though? Never heard of/seen that before? Anyone use theirs?
    If you have it, it's the big square button on the side of the front seats (where the other seat controls are). Some folks love it, personally I go "meh" whenever I accidentally activate it. You can't switch it off as it is on a timer, so if you don't care for it the feature can be more aggravating than useful.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by hazcaddy View Post
    If you have it, it's the big square button on the side of the front seats (where the other seat controls are). Some folks love it, personally I go "meh" whenever I accidentally activate it. You can't switch it off as it is on a timer, so if you don't care for it the feature can be more aggravating than useful.
    On my car... (2006)...if the massager is running, I can press and hold the SQUARE BUTTON for about 3 or 4 seconds and it will turn off.
    Your 2010 may be different...

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    On my car... (2006)...if the massager is running, I can press and hold the SQUARE BUTTON for about 3 or 4 seconds and it will turn off.
    Your 2010 may be different...
    I'll have to try that - thanks Jim!

I love my massager. I've done 2 trips for a total of about 7,000 miles since buying my DTS in June...the massager definitely helps for me. My wife doesn't seem as enthused about it...she feels the seat warmer helps her back on the trips...massager not as helpful to her as the heat.

On my car, I can shut the massager off by moving the lumbar support (pressing the 4-way round button in any direction).

coolvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

If you have a bad back and do long trips I think the massager is a good investment. I use mine all the time on trips. The only thing the DTS is missing is the 10 way seat rather than 8 way. I gave up a car with 10 way and really miss it.

rebel7254 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Luxury III

If possible, it's always a good idea to take the car to a reputable body shop and get someone to look over it for you to see if they notice any signs of repair.

As for CarFAX, I would also recommend to combine it with an AutoCheck report. AutoCheck reports are probably not always perfect either, but I had an experience where it listed a vital piece of information that was omitted on the CarFAX report. The CarFAX report on a car I bought a few years ago said it was sold at a dealer auction, but with the disclaimer that "millions of vehicles are bought and sold at auction each year". Well, after noticing a drop when opening the passenger side door (which I inexcusably overlooked when I bought the car), I became suspicious and decided to pay for an AutoCheck report to see what it said. In the section where it showed the vehicle as being sold at the auction, it listed "UNIBODY DAMAGE" as the reason. Sure enough, after taking it to a body shop for inspection I confirmed that it had been involved in a significant collision. Even though the body shop worker said the repairs appeared to be well done and he didn't think the vehicle's safety integrity was compromised, I was still bummed because I knew it would hurt the resale value (which it did). Lesson learned.

Regarding the massager, I tried it a couple times but it wasn't anything special IMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.