Why are some column shift and some floor shift?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redduck21502
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Why are some column shift and some floor shift? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Watching this video of this DTS and I see that it has a column shifter. I've seen this once before ...
    TLC
    TLC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Why are some column shift and some floor shift?

Watching this video of this DTS and I see that it has a column shifter. I've seen this once before and am curious as to what package this came with. I assumed some lower end base package but I see that it also has the rear window shades which is a higher up package feature I believe. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Why are some column shift and some floor shift?

If it has the optional bench seat, it has the column shift.
    If it has bucket seats, it has the floor shift.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    If it has the optional bench seat, it has the column shift.
    If it has bucket seats, it has the floor shift.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only models that did not have the bench seat option are the Performance and Platinum.

redduck21502 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a Lux I package in a 2007 DTS and it has the column shifter and what appears to be bucket seats with folding armrest/center console with a second center console beneath the folding armrest attached to the floor.
    My build sheet from compnine.com also says I have the AN3 code which is defined as: SEAT FRT, INDIVIDUAL/NON-BKT INDIVIDUAL FRT SEAT(AN3). I would think Non-BKT means "non-bucket", but they look like bucket seats. They are individual seats with a stationary center console.
    But it also has the AV8 code which says: SEAT,CENTER FRT BKT,AUXILIARY, FOLDING SEAT,CTR FRT BKT AUX FLDG(AV8). I'm sure that is the folding center console/armrest, but the part that says "BKT" sounds like "bucket". So I don't know if i have bucket seats or not based on the codes, but they look like bucket seats.

I kind of wondered the same thing because mine does have the column shifter but every picture that I have seen has the floor shifter and bucket seats. I really thought that the floor shifter was less available back then, but i most pictures do show the floor shifter. Most of the pics that I have seen also include the wood trimmed steering wheel which mine also does not have. I would bet the base package and some of the lower end Lux packages have the column shifter like you were thinking. And it makes total sense on the performance package to have a floor shifter. Perhaps the Lux II and Lux III also have the floor shifter, i have seen posts about the Lux II package cars that also mentioned floor shifters.

Here is a pic of the seats to show that they look like standard bucket seats just like the ones with the floor shifter. 603399_883602202463_1132164826_n.jpg
    cadillac_guy21 likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That's a split bench seat. With the armrest folded up, there's a central seating position. Bucket seats have a center console.

Assuming the DTS seating options were handled the same way they were in the last gen Deville, the right and left seats are the same either way. The only difference is the center. For bucket seats, a center console is bolted in. For a split bench, the folding armrest is bolted in.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only models that did not have the bench seat option are the Performance and Platinum.
    Vic... as for as I can determine... you are correct...

redduck21502 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    That's a split bench seat. With the armrest folded up, there's a central seating position. Bucket seats have a center console.

Assuming the DTS seating options were handled the same way they were in the last gen Deville, the right and left seats are the same either way. The only difference is the center. For bucket seats, a center console is bolted in. For a split bench, the folding armrest is bolted in.
    I was about to say that it can't "technically" be a split bench because the armrest is secured to the floor. I had a 2000 LeSabre that had a true 60/40 split bench. The center seat was actually padded and not a console made of plastic (which the DTS has and is way to hard to be a 'seat') and the fold down armrest/console was attached to the passenger seat so it went back and forth with the seat. It's interesting that the seats are the same either way, because technically speaking, they would both be bucket seats. I wouldn't think the type of center console would determine the definition of the type of seat considering they are the same. But that is their prerogative. If someone had asked me, i would have said that i had a split bench until i noticed that the armrest and console were not attached to the seats and that they looked just like bucket seats, now if someone asked me, i would say bucket seats (and i'd be wrong). They must like things to be slightly confusing.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Late '80's/early '90's Devilles and Fleetwoods were available with a similar front split bench, bet the center section was adjustable forward and backward, it was labeled as a 40/20/40 split bench. Pickup trucks and some larger SUVs have the setup as well.

I guess if there's solid seating area from door to door, either permanently or configurable, it qualifies as a bench seat. "Part time bench" or "part time bucket" would sound weird.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.