Help needed with headlight ballast 2006 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Help needed with headlight ballast 2006 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have been searching for a new ballast for my headlight. The bulb is fine. The photos I have attached ...
    deb0047 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS, 2000 Deville, 1991 Fleetwood

Help needed with headlight ballast 2006 DTS

I have been searching for a new ballast for my headlight. The bulb is fine. The photos I have attached show my original ballast (larger one) and the replacement one I ordered (smaller one). Obviously, it does not fit. I have searched and all information makes it look like the smaller one is the correct replacement. The supplier has not run into this issue before. Does anyone have any experience with my issue. I have had my car laid up for over a month trying to sort this out!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cmcdonald is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: Help needed with headlight ballast 2006 DTS

Yes, they actually made two different ballasts for our headlights depending upon the year. The older cars have one like your original larger one. At some point GM switched over to the new smaller one. So the supplier sent you the wrong ballast for your car. I too have the older larger one, and spent some time trying to find it. Also you may be able to fix your old ballast by opening it up and cleaning the circuit board. The one that I had fail on me, when I opened it had a lot of corrosion on the circuit board from water getting inside where it plugs in. I cleaned up all of the corrosion, closed it up and sealed it, and it worked good as new.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If you can't find an old style replacement, there're adapter cables available from the dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by deb0047 View Post
    I have been searching for a new ballast for my headlight. The bulb is fine. The photos I have attached show my original ballast (larger one) and the replacement one I ordered (smaller one). Obviously, it does not fit. I have searched and all information makes it look like the smaller one is the correct replacement. The supplier has not run into this issue before. Does anyone have any experience with my issue. I have had my car laid up for over a month trying to sort this out!!
    Hello deb0047,

I am sorry you are having trouble finding a new ballast for your headlight. Have you reached out to your dealership or Cadillac Customer Care in Canada? If you would like their number to reach out to them for assistance in locating one, or locating the adapter cables that MoistCabbage referenced, I would be happy to provide it to you. Their number is 1-888-446-2000 and they are operational Monday through Friday, 7:30AM to 11:30PM EST and 7:30AM to 6PM EST on Saturdays. Please keep us updated. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

deb0047 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS, 2000 Deville, 1991 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdonald View Post
    Yes, they actually made two different ballasts for our headlights depending upon the year. The older cars have one like your original larger one. At some point GM switched over to the new smaller one. So the supplier sent you the wrong ballast for your car. I too have the older larger one, and spent some time trying to find it. Also you may be able to fix your old ballast by opening it up and cleaning the circuit board. The one that I had fail on me, when I opened it had a lot of corrosion on the circuit board from water getting inside where it plugs in. I cleaned up all of the corrosion, closed it up and sealed it, and it worked good as new.
    Thank you for responding so quickly. With your info I did some digging and found a used one. I'll have my mechanic take it apart and look at it in case it can be saved.

----------

I was trying to avoid almost $500 for a new one. With info from this forum I have found a used one. Thank you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.