front wheel noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, front wheel noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, so I've had my car for about 2 months now... I've always noticed this rotation noise coming from ...
    crazcaddyguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

front wheel noise

Hi guys, so I've had my car for about 2 months now... I've always noticed this rotation noise coming from the driver front wheel, can't really explain it... but its more noticeable when the car moves up and down after going over a bump/dip on the road! Also more noticeable at highway speeds. Any help will help thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: front wheel noise

Can you notice any difference in the sound when you go around a curve fairly fast???

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by crazcaddyguy View Post
    Hi guys, so I've had my car for about 2 months now... I've always noticed this rotation noise coming from the driver front wheel, can't really explain it... but its more noticeable when the car moves up and down after going over a bump/dip on the road! Also more noticeable at highway speeds. Any help will help thanks guys.
    Hello crazycadyyguy,

I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your new to you DTS. I do see that you are reaching out to the community for input and to see if they have experienced this issue as well. If you would like any assistance in working with a dealership to have them look into this issue, please feel free to private message me and we can discuss your concerns further. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Jim, I'll have to check that out tonite going home...

Yeah jim same sound no difference on curves.....???

Yeah jim same sound no difference on curves.....???
    My first thought was a bearing going bad, but that will usually change a little bit on curves as the wheel has more weight on it or when the curve is the OTHER WAY and the wheel has LESS weight on it.

It could be a tire making noise... the tire may be going bad... just a thought.

I had to replace the front hub on mine because of a bad bearing.
    Stupid woman ran me up on a large curb in the center median at about 45mph.... a couple of weeks later I had bearing noise.
    "IF" you have to change the hub and bearing, it is a pretty easy job.

Thanks jim. The tires look really good, maybe just a rotation. I will look into the wheel bearing, I think I will replace it or both! I think I want to change the brake pads as well... you think I would have turn them rotors too? Thanks jim.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Turning the rotors is not a preventative maintenance item. Do it only when it needs to be done. When you turn the rotors you remove material from them and shorten their life.

Thanks atavar, yup it's like 50/50 with turning rotors or not on the internet! Now lets just hope their not warped...

Thanks atavar, yup it's like 50/50 with turning rotors or not on the internet! Now lets just hope their not warped...
    The chance of you having a warped rotor is somewhere between SLIM and NONE.......... and SLIM already left town... LOL

Unless the rotors are SCORED and have grooves in them from excessively worn pads... or severely glazed from a LOT of high speed braking, there is no need to turn them.
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazcaddyguy
    Now lets just hope their not warped...
    They're not, rotors do not "warp".
    Superjim and Tom's Caddy like this.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville

Hi SuperJim and MoistCabbage, (about rotors)

One tech told me a while back is that the reason the rotors (warp) were because GM and most automakers use a "floating" rotor design. It's where the rotor attaches to the hub. Mercedes Benz, does not use the floating rotor design. I remember watching some videos on rotors replacement with Mercedes vehicles and it's not the same as GM cars.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tjwhite721 View Post
    Hi SuperJim and MoistCabbage, (about rotors)

One tech told me a while back is that the reason the rotors (warp) were because GM and most automakers use a "floating" rotor design. It's where the rotor attaches to the hub. Mercedes Benz, does not use the floating rotor design. I remember watching some videos on rotors replacement with Mercedes vehicles and it's not the same as GM cars.

Thoughts?
    In all my years of driving and working on cars, I have only seen a couple of rotors that were actually WARPED...
    In both cases it was caused by the rotors being EXTREMELY HOT from hard braking and then running into a big puddle of water.
    It was noticeable IMMEDIATELY.
    Both of the cases were on full size Dodge vans

I don't see how the GM rotor could be considered "FLOATING"
    The rotor is fastened to the hub by big TORX screws,
    Then the wheel is bolted on with five lug nuts at 100 Ft lbs each.
    The rotor CAN NOT MOVE... PERIOD.

Jim

jazoo is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Hey crazcaddyguy, you did not mention the odometer reading on your vehicle when you purchased it. Did you get it inspected before buying it? Have you had it inspected by your local ASE certified auto shop? On the least expensive side, did you inspect all suspension components and most importantly, how much meat left on the pads & the condition of the pads? It is very difficult to give you a specific cause or pinpoint the problem as we'll be shooting in the dark.

Hey jazoo, I bought the car with about 114,xxx miles! I didn't have it inspected, but I did go through it my self.... I like to think im pretty good at working on cars! Suspension looked good, no rust, leaking, or sagging from suspension parts. Brakes seemed fine when I did initial test drive... with that said I have not looked to see life of pads! Tires are pretty brand new they put those on at about 108 k miles, seen on the carfax report. I don't see any lack of rotation issues with the tires, even wear is what I see. I will rotate soon though, we've been hit hard with rain here in Colorado. It seems to me that's the noise is the wheel hub assembly from reading other posts. Once this weather clears up I'll take a look at pads plus wheel hubs....right now I think the car needs a new battery if I leave it a whole day it will drain itself?? It looks like its original ac/delco battery.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.