Seat Cushion Shield
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Seat Cushion Shield in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I should post some pics of this problem, but have been told it's pretty common issue. The plastic Seat Cushion ...
    MrZoSo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Seat Cushion Shield

I should post some pics of this problem, but have been told it's pretty common issue. The plastic Seat Cushion Shield has cracked on me, and it's design is incredibly shabby. I've ordered a replacement, but I can't imagine it lasting long, as I think the real culprit is the fact that the cushion has warn down. Something I brought to the dealers attention when I bought the car 3 years ago that they ignored. Anyone else dealt with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Re: Seat Cushion Shield

I have not dealt with this but I am curious as to what the problem is. A pic would help me to understand.

Seems the two metal bars forced the plastic shield to crack over time...

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Is this the result of the driver being a little over weight?
    Norm

Nope...It's not. Seems it's a common issue according to the dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZoSo View Post
    Nope...It's not. Seems it's a common issue according to the dealer.
    Hello MrZoSo,

I am sorry you had to deal with a seat cushion shield cracking. I see you have ordered a replacement part and have spoken with the dealer about this concern. Please let me know if you would like to further discuss anything with us. We are here to assist with concerns and questions you have.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Apparently there was a service bulletin on this issue. Funny it was never brought up when I bought the car and complained about the seat.

Apparently there was a service bulletin on this issue. Funny it was never brought up when I bought the car and complained about the seat.
    Hello MrZoSo,

Have you discussed this with your dealer again, and did they bring it to your attention if you asked about it?

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

billbill1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 2006 DTS

Mr ZoSo
    This is another recurring problem. The plastic is just week, but it can easily be strengthened, and
    repaired (glued), if it didn't have all the switches mounted on it, it wouldn't be so bad.
    One thing I "ALWAYS" say, is save the peaces. Almost anything is repairable.
    Here is my a post. From last year.

If your seat plastic is the same as mine,2006 DTS. The plastic is ABS plastic. Look on the back it will say"ABS".
    ABS is very "glueable" with plumbing ABS pipe cement. Remember it is a solvent glue, and if over used, WILL, melt your plastic part. DO NOT attempt to glue in place. This glue is BLACK, and very messy. With the part removed, put a small drop of glue the on back of part, for test. After 5-10 min. scrape into the drop, and you should find the underlying plastic soft. This is what solvent glue does, it melts the ABS together. It dries very slowly, when used in a patch. Any ABS plastic part, like an old broken trim part, can be cut up, and used for patch or support. Black ABS pipe and fittings, old or new, can also be cut up and used. WARNING, if you are impatient, on a slow glue up process, DO NOT EVEN START, with ABS glue. Use round tooth picks to place glue, not LARGE applicator in can. Pull out applicator, pick up small amount of glue, with tooth pick and apply to part. Glue ONLY on back of part. Go SLOW, one crack at a time. Work outside in a well ventilated area. Make a test glue up, with an old broken part, if possible.
    I went through this process, on my drivers seat, last week. The part had two supports broken, and several cracks. With the patients, I usually don't have. I glued broken parts back and braced where needed, with broken trim parts. This is a SLOW SLOW process. If you don't have the time, buy a new part.

Bill, thanks for the tip.
    The shield can be replaced for 50 bux, so it's not that big a deal, but the configuration is poor and while it took 6 years to crack I can't see it not doing it all over again.
    Laura,
    Thank you for your concern, but the dealer is not concerned with my issue. They always tell you to speak with your salesman which is hilarious seeing as how he sells cars, not fixes them. It's not that big a deal, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue and how they dealt with it.

billbill1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 2006 DTS

MrZoSo
    When you purchase a new peace, it can be strengthened, from NEW.
    Add ABS gussets to protrusions in extrusion , out from shield side.
    It's obvious , where the week points are, from the old shield.
    PS the old shield is good, to cut up for glueable peaces .
    Glue ONLY on the BACK, out of sight.
    Sad to say, YOU will need to do your own Engineering fix on this one.

Bill, thanks for the tip.
    The shield can be replaced for 50 bux, so it's not that big a deal, but the configuration is poor and while it took 6 years to crack I can't see it not doing it all over again.
    Laura,
    Thank you for your concern, but the dealer is not concerned with my issue. They always tell you to speak with your salesman which is hilarious seeing as how he sells cars, not fixes them. It's not that big a deal, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue and how they dealt with it.
    Hello MrZoSo,

You are welcome. I am sorry your dealer tells you to speak with your salesman. Each certified dealership has a service department, and I am sorry they are misguiding you at the one you are working with. Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with in the near future.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I get the feeling this s more of a seat problem rather than the shield, but we will find out. Thank you for the advice.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Have seen a few DTS' at the local Cadillac dealer with this problem. It's a poor design for sure. Also have been in many DTS' where the front cushion will no longer tilt up; I don't know if they fixed that one or not.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.