How much is a front bumper for an 08? Bad misunderstanding with a telephone pole
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, How much is a front bumper for an 08? Bad misunderstanding with a telephone pole in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Tough afternoon yesterday; spent all day testing in CC Philly and after getting off the train and driving home, the ...
    StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

How much is a front bumper for an 08? Bad misunderstanding with a telephone pole

Tough afternoon yesterday; spent all day testing in CC Philly and after getting off the train and driving home, the normal u-turn I execute (wide street) to park in front of my house was taken a bit wide and I smashed the right front bumper into the telephone pole. Absolutely no saving the bumper but it is securely duct-taped. The wife wants me to pay for it myself instead of insurance (I guess because she thinks I can). I don't see associated damage; the lights are fine and working, sensors, etc. It appears to be just the front bumper and paint. Anybody know about what this will set me back? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Assuming you didn't damage anything behind the bumper, anywhere from $100 (you find a matching bumper at a salvage yard, and install it yourself) to $1,200 (New bumper, painted and installed at a good shop).

Re: How much is a front bumper for an 08? Bad misunderstanding with a telephone pole

Thanks. Looks like 1,200 as I don't do salvage yards or bumper installations.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Re: How much is a front bumper for an 08? Bad misunderstanding with a telephone pole

My rear bumper was about $1100...charged to the centenarian that rear ended me...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a related question. My bumper was hit with a piece of retread thrown up off the road. The bumper just needs painting. Because of the road rash over the years and now this.... How much just to professionally prep and paint the bumper?

Assuming no deep scratches/gouges/cracks:

"Macco quality" - ~$100-$120 (painted on the car - cheap/wrong way, single stage paint)

A good shop - ~$400-$500 including R&R

revemoto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Our shop sells it for $614.99.

Price breakdown is as follows for your 2008 Cadillac DTS front bumper:
    Part: $325
    Paint: $200
    Shipping: $89.99

Unfortunately, we haven't painted any DTS front bumpers for me to give you sample photos, but we have painted parts for the CTS if you're interested. Thanks!

Interesting. I've got an appointment at the carrier's preferred shop (I know them and they are good) on Monday so we'll say what kind of a markup they want.

Ok-so I get the car back yesterday. Beautiful paint job on the bumper cover. Only problem is there was a fairly large (1/4 ") gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the headlight on both sides. I showed it to him and he took it back in the shop for 20 minutes and bought it back out. The gap is now much less but my question to everybody who has this car-should there be a gap at all? Does the top of the bumper perfectly meet the bottom of the headlight? I have a theory-this was the insurance company's recommended shop so I'm thinking they cut corners by not examining and replacing the bumper support?? The part that the bumper attaches to; maybe failure to replace that causes the gap? Any ideas would be appreciated. I've got a buddy with one that is supposed to stop by my work later today but I can't always count on that.

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

There is NO GAP on mine anywhere around the headlight... on either side.
    Please excuse the dirty car... just got back from a little 500 miles road trip.

Yes there is, I can see it and actually, it's worse than mine.Directly below the headlight, on top of the molding is a separation almost exactly like mine. This is what I'm talking about and you have it on both sides. My buddy bought his '10 over today and he also has it although it's about 1/16" less than mine.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

There is no separation... there is a rubber seal there.
    The bumper top is against the rubber seal.

Ah, shoot. My buddies looks just like mine; I wonder if he is missing the seal? I wonder if I can caulk it? I wonder if the light needs to be able to move separately from the bumper (which would break the caulk seal).

Nothing needs to move. The "seal" is there to fill the gap that is there, that will vary very slightly from car to car (if the parts were made to butt up to each other EXACTLY, aligning things on every car would be a nightmare, and parts would rub).

Why would you use caulking on a nice car???

To keep the water out?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.