power steering fluid leaks
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, power steering fluid leaks in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Power steering fluid is leaking. Thought it might be a hose/tube leak, but when the mechanic and I looked, the ...
    kellyb101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

power steering fluid leaks

Power steering fluid is leaking. Thought it might be a hose/tube leak, but when the mechanic and I looked, the hose was dry. Leak seems to be coming from a plug on the rack. Anyone else have a similar problem? What's the solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

theduchessofpr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyb101 View Post
    Power steering fluid is leaking. Thought it might be a hose/tube leak, but when the mechanic and I looked, the hose was dry. Leak seems to be coming from a plug on the rack. Anyone else have a similar problem? What's the solution?
    I have a DTS with a current power steering leak as well. No one could find where it was coming from, but finally the mechanic left the hood up and turned on the engine and turned the wheel abd sure enough we saw where it was coming from. It's wad my high pressure power steering line. That mechanic quoted me $360 to fix it, but I'm going to get a few more before I make a final decision.
    Hope this helps.

pictchic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville 1994 STS
    OMG! (( same problem. I just spent all afternoon checking over the line, then tried turning the wheel left right left then held her left for a bit and..... WHALAAA! She spewed.

I'm thinking this is my return. But not sure. It's the hose that runs along the back of the engine. I own a 94 STS 4.6L.

Anyone?

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Re: power steering fluid leaks

Leaped before I looked, just posted the same problem, just wondering, do you, or did you replace the belt?

pictchic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville 1994 STS
    Nope. Haven't even thought about that. More worried about a hole in the hose.

kellyb101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Thanks for the notes. Mechanic and I both checked the tubing, thinking that'd be the most frequent cause of this type problem. Alas, no such luck. The seals on the rack were the culprit. Replaced the rack - problem solved. Seems to me like a rack wouldn't normally need replacement in 88k miles, but maybe I've just got higher expectations about quality than I ought to for the Cadillac brand.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville

Did you think about using stop leak for the seals?

jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist

Before you found the leak did you notice any changes in the steering? I have an issue with my steering it feels like the magnasteer isn't doing its job right and it really noticeable when you are turning the wheel at higher speeds. Feels like it fights back and pulses a bit and like it takes more effort than it should to turn. I also notice at parking lot speeds the wheel is just as stiff as it is at highway speeds :-/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.