Battery voltage/alternator output
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By danog
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Battery voltage/alternator output in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, I recently replaced the alternator on my 2006 DTS. I did not go to the dealer do to ...
    cadwilliam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts 4.6

Battery voltage/alternator output

Hello everyone, I recently replaced the alternator on my 2006 DTS. I did not go to the dealer do to the price $500 for labor and $650 for the alternator. However not my battery voltage from the cars reading say 12.9 volts while before I believed it used to read about 14.2 volts all the time. Can you guys pleases tell me what is the reading on your dts. Thank you all

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fmcastro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Lux II, '11 CTS Lux

Re: Battery voltage/alternator output

My '06 DTS LUX II normally reads 14.3 just after starting. In about 8 minutes or more, it will read 12.9 which is a perfect voltage to give the battery a deep charge. Also, my wife's '11 CTS 3.0 behaves in a like manner regarding voltage. My '03 DeVille 4.6 would charge continuosly in the 14 volt range. Hope this helps you. Fred

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

mine also reads high at start up then goes to 12.9 volts. i just changed mine recently the original one went bad. the charging system in the dts are made to fluctuate in voltage that way. i would not worry about it just enjoy your ride thats why the battery has such a long life span my battery lasted 6yrs before it needed replacement hope that answer's your question.

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Charge Mode
    The BCM will enter Charge Mode when ever one of the following conditions are met.

•The wipers are ON for than 3 seconds.
    •GMLAN (Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request) is true, as sensed by the HVAC control head. High speed cooling fan, rear defogger and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter the Charge Mode.
    •The estimated battery temperature is less than 0°C (32°F).
    •Battery State of Charge is less than 80 percent.
    •Vehicle Speed is greater than 145 kph (90MPH)
    •Current Sensor Fault Exists
    •System Voltage was determined to be below 12.56 Volts
    When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted generator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.9V and 15.5V, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

Fuel Economy Mode
    The BCM will enter Fuel Economy Mode when the estimated battery temperature is at least 0°C (32°F) but less than or equal to 80°C (176°F), the calculated battery current is less than 15 amperes and greater than − 8 amperes, and the battery SOC is greater than or equal to 80 percent. It's targeted generator output voltage is the open circuit voltage of the battery and can be between 12.5–13.1 volts. The BCM will exit this mode and enter Charge Mode when any of the conditions described above are present.

Headlamp Mode
    The BCM will enter Headlamp Mode when ever the headlamps are ON (high or low beams). Voltage will be regulated between 13.9–14.5 volts.

Start Up Mode
    When the engine is started the BCM sets a targeted generator output voltage of 14.5 volts for 30 seconds.

Voltage Reduction Mode
    The BCM will enter Voltage Reduction Mode when the calculated ambient air temperature is above 0°C (32°F). The calculated battery current is less than 1 ampere and greater than −7 amperes, and the generator field duty cycle is less than 99 percent. Its targeted generator output voltage is 12.9 volts. The BCM will exit this mode once the criteria are met for Charge Mode.
    Superjim, fmcastro and Tom's Caddy like this.

cadwilliam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts 4.6
    Thanks everyone!!!!

Sunny Mack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

hey just got mine replaced due to a sudden service charging system,service stabilitrak and traction control message and a battery sign signaling the charging was inactive... so far so good left the mechanic with 14.1-13.7 voltage... whew! was a close one my alternator was smoking slowly after it went out

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by cadwilliam View Post
    Hello everyone, I recently replaced the alternator on my 2006 DTS. I did not go to the dealer do to the price $500 for labor and $650 for the alternator. However not my battery voltage from the cars reading say 12.9 volts while before I believed it used to read about 14.2 volts all the time. Can you guys pleases tell me what is the reading on your dts. Thank you all
    Mine reads 14.3 volts after the start & then it levels off to 12.9 volts after few minutes.

cadwilliam, you quoted couple of figures regarding the alternator replacement. Did you get an estimate from the dealership or you just assumed those values? You can get a quality re-manufactured alternator for under $240.00 and get it replaced by a reputable auto shop for less than $120.00.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.