06 DTS Speaker trouble
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Atavar
  • 1 Post By Eddie39
  • 1 Post By Atavar
  • 1 Post By danog
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 06 DTS Speaker trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The driver's side front and rear door speakers and the rear deck speaker all stopped working at once no matter ...
    jstynjudge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS, 92 Fleetwood 4.9, 92 Seville 4.9, 85 Deville 4.5

06 DTS Speaker trouble

The driver's side front and rear door speakers and the rear deck speaker all stopped working at once no matter what my balance and fader are set at. I have never turned the volume above 3/4 and pretty much leave it there at all times. There was no crackle or noise they just stopped but the rest of my speakers work fine. I checked all my fuses and relays with no problems. Can anybody help me troubleshoot this? I really don't want to replace the speakers is I can help it. I have heard horror stories of people replacing their speakers with aftermarket only to have volume issues. Oh no bose here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Re: 06 DTS Speaker trouble

When three speakers go out at once the problem is probably not the speakers. I would suspect wiring or perhaps a connector coming loose. If you are not big into electrical and trim R&R I would take it to a shop. If you are comfortable opening up the trim and working with wires making sure all connectors are seated firmly and wiggling wire harnesses would be a good first step.
    Once you have the dash opened up you can check each of the speakers by momentarily doing an resistance test with an ohm-meter at the connector. Check the wiring diagram to make sure you are testing wires that go directly to the speaker and not to an amplifier. You should hear the speakers go tick when you connect the ohmmeter. The ohmmeter supplies only low voltage and current and will not damage your speakers even though it is DC instead of AC.
    If the speakers are all functional this may be an appropriate time to go for that nifty aftermarket stereo you have been dreaming of.
    jstynjudge likes this.

Eddie39 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS LUX I 44k - Once owned 1998 Deville & 2002 Deville

If you lost all speakers on the left side it most likely a amp problem unless this is a connection causing the problem. I wondered think three speaker would go out at the same time.

The audio amp is behind the back seat where the speaker connections are. The image is not the right one. I was trying to include the image from the service manual showing the amp behind the rear seat.
    Attached Files
    jstynjudge likes this.

While I'm not to keen on wiring and such, I am pretty handy installing aftermarket equipment. my 1992 fleetwood only has and aftermarket head unit, my 92 seville has a bad amplifier which i haven't replaced yet, this is my first N* Caddy everything else on the car is flawless as it has only 63k on it. So you guys are saying I'll need an amp if the speakers are good and connections are tight.

----------

I only lost the door and rear deck though i still have both tweeters in the pillars and central dash speaker

If you still have tweeters working it's a good chance the speakers could be defective or just a connection.

cool I'll pray it's just a connection, if not how hard would it be to replace them myself without damaging trim and/or door panels?

Oh I meant to ask if I can replace the central rear deck woofer with any available aftermarket 10" subwoofer

If you looking for more bass you will need to add a box with a woofer in it. The trunk acts as a bass enclosurer and doesn't do a very good job.

Thank you all very much for your help and responses. I will test my speakers check connections and go from there. I have found on gmpartsdirect.com speakers range from 20-80 bucks so not too bad for replacements, but an amplifier runs about 400. I'll update tomorrow.

Especially with the involvement of the rear deck woofer I do not see how three speakers would fail at once. I don't think the speakers are your issue. Relax and troubleshoot and decide on a solution *after* you know what the problem really is.
    As far as taking off door panels, because you need to ask be prepared for a bit more than you are ready for. I am not saying don't do it, I am just saying that if this is your first time you probably will break some plastic fasteners or other pieces so be prepared to replace some small parts. Don't feel bad when this happens, it is how you learn. Just take the broken pieces to your local auto parts store and get replacements.
    Before you start get a set of trim panel levers. you are going to need some special tools like this and this. After you do your first panel and see what's inside it will make sense and the second panel will be a snap (npi).
    As far as replacing the woofer -- *IF* it is actually bad -- take the bad one to your local auto sound shop and hand it to them and ask for a recommended replacement. If you are bound to shop for one online wait until you get the old one out and it tests bad, then look on it for the impedance spec (4 ohms, or 8 ohms) and buy one of the same impedance with the same bolt hole pattern.
    But I still don't think it's the speakers. Even if the speakers are bad, if three blew out at once there was a reason and you have a bigger problem. It is sort of like when you have a fuse blow. If you don't track down what made the fuse blow in the first place you haven't fixed the problem and you will just have to buy a new fuse. As you fuse in this case is the speakers buying them repeatedly could be an expensive endeavor.
    I know this is not what you want to hear but you may actually save money if you take the car to an auto sound shop and let them fix it. If what you want is the satisfaction of doing it yourself then go for it, but be prepared to spend money on parts and special tools.

----------

Oh yeah, don't skimp on speakers, buy the best your budget will allow. And make sure and replace or repair any plastic or rubber seals or sheets that you damage going in to the panels.
    jstynjudge likes this.

I appreciate all of your information and insight on the topic, as i said i can replace any head unit with no problem but I love the sound of factory Cadillac speakers so I've never removed a door panel on a Caddy. My Seville gave a similar problem right before I changed the head unit and bypassed Bose, only the driver door speaker worked. If the speakers are good then a shop it is, this car is too pretty and nice to get messed up even more because I decide to go rooting around the wiring, and this is no '92 so I know nothing of the newer models aside from the research I've done on the engine and transmission. anyway I'm rambling thank you again and I will update once I know what's going on.

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

#PIC3942: No Audio from One or More Speaker Channels - keywords amp amplifier channel radio sound sub subwoofer UQ3 - (Feb 23, 2006)
    Subject: No Audio from One or More Speaker Channels
    Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette
    2006 Cadillac DTS
    Equipped With RPO UQ3

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
    Condition/Concern:Certain 2005-2006 Corvettes and 2006 Cadillac DTS built prior to 01/10/06 equipped with RPO UQ3 audio systems, may experience a condition of no audio from one or more speaker channels after playing music at a high volume for extended periods.
    Recommendation/Instructions:Ensure that the Radio will power up and there are no DTCs present. Determine if the no audio condition exists on all sources (AM, FM, XM, CD); if the condition only exists on certain sources, inspect that source. Inspect all audio circuits for an open or short, if there are no concerns with the audio circuits, replace the amplifier with part number 15840512.
    Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
    Superjim likes this.

what would the difference be between the monsoon amp and the acdelco amp? and yes it is my amplifier. I guess I should get a hearing aid so I don't blow it again. All night in the garage checking connections and ever vigilant for shorts, this nailed it.

Good job on tracking down the trouble. I guess now your choice is whether to replace the amp or the head unit and amp. Part of this decision would be whether you want to retain OnStar and/or XM. If it were me I would be thinking of getting a modern system with some more bells and whistles.
    Sorry but I don't know anything about the various amplifiers offered or how easy it would be to replace just the amp with an aftermarket.
    Keep us posted on what you decide and how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jstynjudge View Post
    what would the difference be between the monsoon amp and the acdelco amp? and yes it is my amplifier. I guess I should get a hearing aid so I don't blow it again. All night in the garage checking connections and ever vigilant for shorts, this nailed it.
    I would guess the Monsoon amp would have more power and if you don't upgrade your speaker to handle it, they would blowout. If you have a Bestbuy near buy, I would suggest you talk with one of their techs. They can guide you what equipment to use or do the job for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.