Do HP hate Cadillacs?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Do HP hate Cadillacs? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK, I have gone 7 years without a ticket and if anything my driving with the DTS is milder and ...
    Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Unhappy Do HP hate Cadillacs?

OK, I have gone 7 years without a ticket and if anything my driving with the DTS is milder and more in limo mode than it was while I was in the Jag I traded for this car. Yet in the three weeks since I have owned the DTS i have gotten three speeding tickets. the Jag (XJ6) I will admit had the appearance of a mild old sedan, but I drove it rather like a wild man for years.
    The recent tickets since getting the DTS have been minor, 67 in a 55 ($20 no points here in ND), 69 in a 55 ($22 no points), and an improper pass (oncoming traffic a quarter mile away when i pulled back to my lane -- $22 + 2 points)
    So I am wondering, does the DTS have enough of an appearance of affluence that Highway Patrol persons feel the need to siphon off some of my fictitious wealth? Or is this car just really easy to hit with a radar gun?
    I am feeling rather paranoid like I am being targeted for some reason...
    Needless to say since getting these tickets I went completely overboard and bought a top of the line radar detector. The silly part of that is that in the sparse traffic with straight to the horizon roads in ND the HP can target you in burst mode miles off and the radar detector is basically useless, it just goes "Beep-Beep pull over you got a ticket)..
    What is everyone else's experience?
    Sorry if this is an off-topic post..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

crazcaddyguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance
    Im 29 years of age! Im Hispanic lol with that said.... im not a gangster looking kind of guy, not that there is nothing wrong with that! I would say very casual DAD looking!! Lol. I am very proud dad of two beautiful baby girls....anywho I've owned my DTS almost a month now very stock no mods only tinted Windows, not dark....and I've been pulled over TWICE!!! once by my self he said I was speeding...I work nights. This happened at 1am he gave me a warning??? Second time I was coming home from my parents house 5min. Drive home and the officer said he couldn't see my temp tag!!! I guess the second time I was profiled?? Just saying.... I guess if your under 40 and drive a Cadillac DTS, your some kind of drug dealer.. ect ect ect.... again no offense if you are! But that is my experience with the DTS. Still love it though! Good topic.

BlackRavenDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS (Black Raven)

Re: Do HP hate Cadillacs?

Hmmm.... I guess I would say honestly that if you slow down and count your blessings that you weren't pulled over before.

Other then that. Im 24, white ( But i have a darker skin shade ) Long hair and full beard with no tinted windows. I go on average 5 to 10 MPH over limit occasionally and I do slow down when I see police.

So far I have been lucky and I really dont want to get another ding on my record anyways.

I've always had the impression that driving around in a Cadillac DTS was the ultimate police camo. I live near Boston so Livery DTS can be apparent and I hide among that assumption.

Yeah, i realize that when I am travelling 10mph over the limit i am actually breaking the law so it is a righteous stop when they pull me over, so I have pretty much decided to slow down and de-stress and get more in to limo mode driving.

The longest trip I make on a regular basis is 70 miles to the nearest city of any size. Travelling that distance at interstate speeds (75 mph) is 56 minutes. At 85mph (ten over) the same trip is 49.5 minutes. Reasonable speeding really doesn't make a lot of difference in travel time. Unless you are going very long distances or travelling at insane speeds the time savings doesn't justify the risk at all. Add to that the stress reduction of slowing down and staying with traffic which makes the trip less stressful and more enjoyable and there is really no reason to vary much from the speed limit.

Having said that I still think that the DTS must be an excellent radar target that is easy for the Highway Patrol to pick out. If there is a LEO present I would love to hear your honest input to this topic. I won't hold it against you -- really!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

In many states, counties, and municipalities ..........

< 10 miles over the posted limit is "Exceeding the posted speed limit" and usually warrants a warning, unless you are also involved in reckless or dangerous driving situations - passing without sufficient safe distance is one type.

> 10 miles over the posted limit is "Speeding" and the $$$ and points depend on how much over the cushion you are lasered at.

Many eastern states have dropped vehicle radars and now use a laser gun, sighted at the grille or (reflective - Maryland) front license plate.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    In many states, counties, and municipalities ..........

< 10 miles over the posted limit is "Exceeding the posted speed limit" and usually warrants a warning, unless you are also involved in reckless or dangerous driving situations - passing without sufficient safe distance is one type.

> 10 miles over the posted limit is "Speeding" and the $$$ and points depend on how much over the cushion you are lasered at.

Many eastern states have dropped vehicle radars and now use a laser gun, sighted at the grille or (reflective - Maryland) front license plate.
    Yep...
    My radar detector has a voice warning in addition to the flashing light and beeps ...
    When it hollers "LASER LASER" I know it is usually already too late... LOL LOL

BlackRavenDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS (Black Raven)

(THEORY)

Another reasoning in my head that I have that leads me to believe Police will leave the DTS alone is that the length of the car hides the speed of travel.

Giving the illusion of traveling at a lower speed as the vehicle in longer and stays in your vision vs those coupes or Medium size sedan who appear to Zip by.

I would bet a Cop will lazer target a Scion Coupe or Mercedes Bens C-class before even bothering with a Cadillac DTS.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

I have found over the years that Devilles and DTSs are not picked upon as much as other cars by the cops. (Now when I drive my wife's bright red SLK350 I have to be really aware of my speed as red sports cars are fresh bait for police officers.) Since most DTS drivers are older, they do tend to drive a bit more responsibly (except one I heard about in Texas) so it is probably considered an old fart's buggy and left alone more.

The rule of thumb here in Ontario is that you can get away with 10% over the posted limit in town, and on controlled-access highways where there is a 100 km/h limit they will leave you alone as long as you stick under 120 km/h. A cop buddy of mine with the New York State troopers told me that on the 65 mph Interstates, their saying is "Eight is great, Nine you're mine".

Where I find the Caddy great for being ignored is at border crossings. Other cars may be given the 3rd degree by Customs for a couple of minutes or more, I'm pretty well always through in 20 seconds, coming into the US or coming back home.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Considering that I "OCCASIONALLY" drive just a little bit over the speed limit... I don't get stopped all THAT often.

When I do get stopped, I am always polite, answer their questions with relative honesty, say "Yes Sir" and "No Sir", have my license and insurance card ready and usually ask, in a puzzled tone of voice..........
    "What did I do?" ...

A fair percentage of the time I just get chewed out and get a warning.
    A couple of years ago I got hit with laser for 76 in a 65...
    Texas Highway Patrol.
    He asked why I was going so fast... I told him he was hid good enough, I didn't see him in time to slow down.
    He laughed and gave me a warning for 72 in a 65...

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

to answer the original question directly: No
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

I find the same as hazcaddy at border crossings, & same with my previous Buick. In Canada I set the cruise at 10 kph over & in the U.S. 5 mph over. My last ticket was 22 years ago. I always use the cruise control even in town when possible. It's too easy to speed in these cars, like 90 is just cruising easy.
    Norm

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by stormnn View Post
    I always use the cruise control even in town when possible. It's too easy to speed in these cars.
    Ditto. With our grid road system in most towns and cities along the north shore of Lake Ontario, it is real easy to giddyup a bit too much. Cruise at 55 km/h for a 50-limit and 67 for a 60-limit has kept me ticket-free (for now, he says, touching wood like crazy).

One evening on one of our 100 km/h expressways I was talking to my daughter sitting beside me in the palatial quiet of the DTS, and just happened to notice I was sweeping around a bend at 138 km/h (86 mph). Whoops - easy to do - easy to fix with cruise control.

I suppose it could also be that this is a very small town and the LEO sees a car he doesn't know and decides to investigate. I think this is the only DTS within a hundred miles.

reedmtn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Platinum

As a retired cop...age 52.....heres my experiance. The DTS is not a magnet for any traffic cop. It has the reputation now as being an older model car available to all income levels not just the wealthy. In some areas it may be the El Patron drug lord of choice, in others the street dealers pimping ride. That said, it is not profiled like BMW or other foreign sports cars. If the color of the car is black, or red, it may be noticed more than others. Mine is wht diamond and is looked over far less than my red STS, which was a magnet. We also need to consider that the ride on our DTS's is so smooth that if your not observant, you may find yourself exceeding the speed and not ever realizing it. I have also found the DTS is a heavy car and speeds up quickly when going downhill. I travel a lot on highways from FL and CO and always lock my speed in at 3 above the posted limit. I have never had any problems. Now....here is the current situation. Any time a municipality, or a state, is in need of money.....which they all are.....the first stop is the local and state PD. They pressure from the top for more money, and hold budgets over their chiefs heads, resulting in more tickets at higher fines. This is also apparent in the huge number of parking tickets being given out, and huge fines associated with them. So slow down and cruise away safely in one of the most comfortable vehicles on the road. Remember....visible plates and no more than 3 over.

Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it. My DTS is all black and chrome, and I am still waiting for my plates from the State, so that is two strikes against me from the get go. As i said earlier, I think it is the only DTS in a hundred mile circle which is probably another thing that draws the eye of LEO, not that LEO is targeting me, but once it catches their eye they probably look closer at other things like speed, temporary tag, et.al..

Not being known for always making wise decisions my choice of placeholders while waiting for my license plates may not be the most discrete either..

My best defense will be to drive conservatively and follow all the rules, at least until my plates get here I think.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.