why would you want to turn off traction control?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
  • 1 Post By hazcaddy
  • 1 Post By ffrog
  • 1 Post By HartfordGuy
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, why would you want to turn off traction control? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I could understand why you would want to turn off the traction control in any sports car, but this big ...
    Cadillac_Phx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Concours (SOLD) / 2006 DTS Lux II

why would you want to turn off traction control?

I could understand why you would want to turn off the traction control in any sports car, but this big heavy front wheel drive sedan, that only has 275 horsepower and does 0-60 in over seven seconds well I just don't see why you would ever want to turn off TC! Isn't it a safety feature? Why would they put it right next to the shifter (floor shifter like on my model Luxury II) as if it was a button you were going to press very often?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Traction control can make driving in snow a real PITA in certain situations (going up steep hills, getting in and out if parking spots...).

And even with "only" 275/300 HP, some people drive these cars "enthusiastically". TCS will slow a launch.
    HartfordGuy likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: why would you want to turn off traction control?

............. it's in the owner's manual.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Traction control can make driving in snow a real PITA in certain situations (going up steep hills, getting in and out if parking spots...).

And even with "only" 275/300 HP, some people drive these cars "enthusiastically". TCS will slow a launch.
    Totally agree. Traction control allows zero wheel spin. After last winter's first snow (and my first winter in Maine), got halfway up my drive and the wheels started to slip. Throttle was cut and I came to a halt. Didn't move again until I got out the snow shovel and some salt and sand. Next storm I remembered to turn off the TC and, though I spun a bit, I got up the drive and into the garage with only limited dramatics.....

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I leave mine OFF about 75% of the time...

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    I leave mine OFF about 75% of the time...
    Well once they start having paved roads in Texas, you'll probably want to switch it on more often, Jim...
    Superjim likes this.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by hazcaddy View Post
    Well once they start having paved roads in Texas, you'll probably want to switch it on more often, Jim...
    oooh, low blow.

Quote Originally Posted by hazcaddy View Post
    That would be nice... I drove on a paved road last year in Arizona...

Cadillac_Phx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Concours (SOLD) / 2006 DTS Lux II

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    Totally agree. Traction control allows zero wheel spin. After last winter's first snow (and my first winter in Maine), got halfway up my drive and the wheels started to slip. Throttle was cut and I came to a halt. Didn't move again until I got out the snow shovel and some salt and sand. Next storm I remembered to turn off the TC and, though I spun a bit, I got up the drive and into the garage with only limited dramatics.....
    so you're saying when the traction control was on you lost control yet when you turned it off you were successful? That doesn't even make sense then why did they put it in there? I thought traction control was something that's automatically always supposed to be on so that you never have slips for the safety feature? For the first time today I floored my DTS both with trTC on and off and the wheel spin was exactly the same I didn't feel difference. I just don't see why they would put the button right next to the shifter as if it's something you're going to use almost everyday

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_Phx View Post
    so you're saying when the traction control was on you lost control yet when you turned it off you were successful? That doesn't even make sense then why did they put it in there? I thought traction control was something that's automatically always supposed to be on so that you never have slips for the safety feature? For the first time today I floored my DTS both with trTC on and off and the wheel spin was exactly the same I didn't feel difference. I just don't see why they would put the button right next to the shifter as if it's something you're going to use almost everyday

Aahmmmm, ever driven in snow? Sometimes you want a little wheel spin. I don't mean accelerator to the floor until you smell burnt rubber. I mean a controlled slippage, which still gives you some traction and therefore some forward movement. With the traction control, the engine will be brought down to just about idle if there's wheel spin. So you get zero forward movement. Scary when you're trying to pull into traffic.

I've also had TC come on while driving on wet pavement on the highway and going over the crest of a hill. Wasn't conscious of any wheel spin. But the combination of reduced traction on the pavement and the "reduced" weight on wheels from going over the crest was enough to trigger the system. Spooky when you're doing 65 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    Aahmmmm, ever driven in snow? Sometimes you want a little wheel spin. I don't mean accelerator to the floor until you smell burnt rubber. I mean a controlled slippage, which still gives you some traction and therefore some forward movement. With the traction control, the engine will be brought down to just about idle if there's wheel spin. So you get zero forward movement. Scary when you're trying to pull into traffic.

I've also had TC come on while driving on wet pavement on the highway and going over the crest of a hill. Wasn't conscious of any wheel spin. But the combination of reduced traction on the pavement and the "reduced" weight on wheels from going over the crest was enough to trigger the system. Spooky when you're doing 65 mph.
    I have had that happen too.... didn't like it...

ffrog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_Phx View Post
    EXTRACT FROM 2006 OWNER’S MANUAL:

Traction control improves your ability to accelerate when driving on a slippery road. Even though your vehicle has the Traction Control System (TCS), you will want to slow down and adjust your driving to the road conditions. Under certain conditions, you may want to turn the TCS off, such as when driving through deep snow and loose gravel, to help maintain vehicle motion at lower speeds. See Traction Control System (TCS) on page 4-9.
    Superjim likes this.

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

The guys are right.

You want to turn OFF the traction control when climbing a hill in the snow. Otherwise if your wheels spin even a little in the snow the throttle cuts out and the brakes apply to those wheels stopping all forward momentum up the snowy road or driveway.

I had a beautiful 2004 Crown vic that I was driving home from work late at night in eight inches of unplowed snow. I could not get up the hill on my street to get home. I'd get up a running start on the flat end of the street but when I got to the hill the tires started to spin and the TC would come on and reduce the throttle to nothing so I could not power up the hill. I was soo pissed I traded the car in for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I never thought to turn off the TC button on the dash of the Vic. I assumed like many people that the TC was supposed to help me up that hill. So I bought that Jeep for nothing. Well, it actually worked out in the end, as once I realized I didn't need the Jeep I traded it in for the DTS.
    ffrog likes this.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

I live in the flat country and mine TCS stays off all the time.

My question is: should one turn on the TCS at a certain frequency so it works when needed?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.