Throttle body cleaning question - 2007 DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Superjim
  • 1 Post By Tom's Caddy
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Throttle body cleaning question - 2007 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When is it time to get the throttle body cleaned?, I need to buy a manual... Didn't get one with ...
    BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Throttle body cleaning question - 2007 DTS

When is it time to get the throttle body cleaned?, I need to buy a manual... Didn't get one with this car. Btw where can I buy one, I was being honest when I sold the last N*, should have kept it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Throttle body question

Some of us clean it annually, some every 5 years, some never. It's a two beer Saturday morning job. Lay in a spray can of TB cleaner, a few lint free rags, an old toothbrush, basic hand tools, a drop light and a strong back. Remove the intake air ducting and use a golf club or wood stick between the driver's seat front and the gas pedal to hold the throttle wide open. Spray the throttle bore and butterfly with cleaner - DO NOT get carried away, and DO NOT shoot liquid cleaner into the intake manifold. Scrub/wipe/scrub/wipe/clean everything you can reach/see. Let it air out for a half hour and close the throttle. Install the intake ducting, making very sure there are no loose clamps or possible air leaks at ot after the MAF.

Go for a 20 minute drive.

Google "cadillac forums northstar throttlebody cleaning" for more reading and maybe some pictures. Do the same for the Idle Air Control motor/top hat/passages.

This thread is vehicle-oriented, so let's move it to DTS.

teckguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS (Titanium) 43,000 KMs

Re: Throttle body cleaning question - 2007 DTS

Just had the intake off last week on my way to the lower rad hose....throttle looked pristine...do you find much gunk comes off in a cleaning?

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07 View Post
    When is it time to get the throttle body cleaned?, I need to buy a manual... Didn't get one with this car. Btw where can I buy one, I was being honest when I sold the last N*, should have kept it.
    My 2006 has 132,000 + on it...
    Throttle body has never been cleaned... still runs great, at least so far ...

Maybe it should be cleaned, but then again if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    TulsaVic likes this.

How dirty the TB and butterfly get is determined, in large part, how the dirty air line from the PCV system is tied into intake manifold vacuum. In the older Northstars that line went back to the vacuum side of the throttlebody at the throttlebody casting, so all oil vapor and boiled off moisture entered the airstream right at the butterfly. Those TBs get gooey filthy in a hurry. In the (1998 ???) 2000 and later the dirty air line enters the intake manifold at the front (passenger) end and dumps into the exact center of the intake manifold center distribution log - so the nasties are well away from the TB and it stays pretty clean.

Where does the PCV dirty air line enter the intake on the 2005 and later models ?? ........ and do you have a rattle valve or a fixed orifice ??

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

I agree Jim, only thing is with you going over 100 mph as often as you do, it might take 450000 miles for yours to carbon up.
    Superjim likes this.

Kicker is, the goop is not 'carbon' - it's condensed oil vapor and blowby remnants from the PCV system........... but in a perverse way, a 'grandma' car would be more likely to suffer from throttlebody deposits than a road runner car.

Something I neglected earlier - The clean air line, connected to the atmospheric side of the TB, has no orifice or rattle valve - it's a 1/2" or 5/8" hose/fittings - so when you shut down, hot air/gases in the crankcase and left (front) cam cover tend to simply convect (?) into the cooler intake duct at the TB.

(........... and the car hasn't been over 100 mph since Monday afternoon.)

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Sub you should call your bullet THE CRIMSON TIDE.

Sorry - I'm a Univ. SC alumni: Gamecocks - The Crimson Tide does nothing but kill fish. (My Navy buddy from Birmingham is gonna kill me .......... )

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.