7.5 or 8 Quarts of Oil for the DTS???? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 7.5 or 8 Quarts of Oil for the DTS???? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That's about right.... On my car... if it is down about 1/2 inch down when the engine is "COLD"... it ...
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: 7.5 or 8 Quarts of Oil for the DTS????

That's about right....
    On my car... if it is down about 1/2 inch down when the engine is "COLD"... it will be right at the top of the crosshatch when the engine is "HOT"..
    Almost 2 gallons of oil expand a good bit when it gets hot.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You will find that most Cadillac service writers have no more idea than the Man In The Moon about correct capacities - or even specifications - for fluids. If you want the level truth, talk to the grease rack kid. (or, read your owner's manual when all else fails.)

7.5 quarts of oil, including filter. Believe it.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

don't get me wrong...no offense, however there may be some difference from model to model, mine does not have the center "X" on the dip stick. And I watched the them do the oil change the last time and ...7.5 is what they put in. at the top of the crosshatched area. Go figure, as I mentioned before on my last DTS it was down in the mid section of the the crosshatched area and I had some noise issues, brought it up to the top after finding out that the tech only put 6.5 in it as that was all that the oil change allotted forand left it that way without asking if I wanted to spend three more dollars to make it right. I BELIEVE it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    You will find that most Cadillac service writers have no more idea than the Man In The Moon about correct capacities - or even specifications - for fluids. If you want the level truth, talk to the grease rack kid. (or, read your owner's manual when all else fails.)

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There is no "center X" on the dipstick.

And you will have no noise because of "only" 6.5 quarts being in the crankcase. The low oil message isn't triggered until ~5.5 quarts remain, and even that won't cause any problems.

I have Anal ears,lol....unfortunately, I hear every little thing in a engine. For some reason it made a difference, she didn't like being short changed at a 100kAttachment 135841(old one was like this)

Thing is, there's zero oil starvation at 1-2 quarts low. The oil pump is pumping just as much oil to all the same places at 5.5 quarts, as it is at 7.5 quarts.

maybe it was just one those things that came and went with time and didn't know it. the tick was ever so slight. your more than likely right Now that I think about it. It stopped when I put the oil stabilizer in it. ....yeah yea I know...Snake oil. lol

----------

I am going to try leaving a bit low ...just to see what happens with the issue I have at present.

If you installed "Moe's Oil Stabilizer", that's pure snake oil. If you installed one of the commercial MilSpec engine oil stabilizers (about 8 oz.) used in long-term storage situations, that's an entirely different animal. (Various magic potions and additives on the store shelves - Google "spiff" and associate that with the advice of the checkout counter cash register operator - or that of the guy that follows you around with "May I help you find something ?".)

The "center X" thing was a text reference to the proper oil level on a Northstar dipstick - here's the keyboard graphic of the same thing:

<=== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE =====================oo=========================== =O

where XXX will be the proper disptick indication after a 7.5 quart oil change including filter. Other Northstar dipstick words may vary.

If you will read the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the black bar you'll see articles on oil, oil life, and associated stuff (like wide open throttle operation). Written by one of the original GM Northstar Powertrain engineers, it gives insight into why Northstars tend to throw off oil when overfilled.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville

If you installed "Moe's Oil Stabilizer", that's pure snake oil. If you installed one of the commercial MilSpec engine oil stabilizers (about 8 oz.) used in long-term storage situations, that's an entirely different animal. (Various magic potions and additives on the store shelves - Google "spiff" and associate that with the advice of the checkout counter cash register operator - or that of the guy that follows you around with "May I help you find something ?".)

The "center X" thing was a text reference to the proper oil level on a Northstar dipstick - here's the keyboard graphic of the same thing:

<=== ADD XXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE =====================oo=========================== =O

where XXX will be the proper disptick indication after a 7.5 quart oil change including filter. Other Northstar dipstick words may vary.

If you will read the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the black bar you'll see articles on oil, oil life, and associated stuff (like wide open throttle operation). Written by one of the original GM Northstar Powertrain engineers, it gives insight into why Northstars tend to throw off oil when overfilled.
    Thanks Submariner! The solution is to drive it like we stole it! Lmao! I do drive fast on highways and accelerate hard between stops in town. It's a performance engine!!!
    Cadillac should had made every DTS with the magnetic ride control :-( , I have the smooth riding soft suspension. However, that doesn't stop me and after reading these articles below, gonna gas my big Caddy Black Knight rider even more!

"An last, but not least, air the engine out frequently. It likes to be used and red-line upshifts at WOT help promote clean combustion chambers, exercise the piston rings to keep them free of carbon buildup and keep them mobile and to ensure the engine is broken in and maximum sealing is obtained. The Northstar does not like to be babied around. It likes to be run hard frequently with a WOT blast in merging or whatever.... Even engines reported to use 1 quart per 1500 miles tend to improve to 2500 miles per quart or better when subjected to a regular schedule of use and "abuse"..."

"The one thing that I can attest to is that many, many customer oil consumption complaint engines have been torn down with absolutely nothing wrong found. The engines are often reassembled and put into test cars and driven by the engineers and more often than not the high oil consumption does not repeat itself !!! The single biggest common cause seems to be breakin...or lack there of. Many, many oil consuming NOrthstar engines are "fixed" by some full throttle operation. I often joke about "driving it like you stole it" but it really is no joke. The Northstar engine was designed as a high performance engine to be run hard and fast. Those that are run hard typically exhibit excellent ring seal, little carbon build up and good oil economy. We have seen engines with tens of thousands of miles on them that the rings have not sealed or mated to the sides of the ring grooves because the operating schedule was so light duty. The moral here is to flog it .... often."

Note: When I had my 99 SLS Northstar engine rebuilt, they said it looked better than some of the 2008 Northstar engines that had a lot of "scaring" inside. When they opened up mine, there was practically no scaring. I drove that baby like a race car. Most of the new Caddy buyers are senior citizens who don't drive hard and fast. Maybe once I make the big bucks, I can buy one with 0 miles and run it hard.

Driving fast and flooring it between stops doesn't quite do it. Read the Technical Archives.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Driving fast and flooring it between stops doesn't quite do it. Read the Technical Archives.
    Mine uses -0- oil or so close it is hard to measure any oil consumption.

I drive it fast and sometimes floor it between stops...
    Are you saying that is is now going to start using oil????

Please tell me how I should be driving it....

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Nope - If the engine is used for some city, some highway, and occasional "spirited driving" then you should be just fine. The "drive it like you stole it" deal applies to engines that plod around town, get sticky and lazy and need a wakeup call every now and then.

I drive lots of highway as well as quite a bit of of other crazy stuff, and my oil consumption - like yours - is almost unmeasurable. Right now I'm getting about 6,000 miles/quart running 5W-30 synthetic and WIX 51522 oil filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim

Mine uses -0- oil or so close it is hard to measure any oil consumption.

I drive it fast and sometimes floor it between stops...
    No. But if a car NEEDED a few good WOT runs to clear some carbon from around the rings, flooding it for a few seconds, or driving fast on the highway (a constant ~3,000 RPMs is nothing) will not have the same effect as the procedure in the Technical Archives.

Extended high RPM, high vacuum conditions upon decel is the important part.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.