Thinking of trying LED Switchback bulbs for DRLs / Turn signals in my DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Thinking of trying LED Switchback bulbs for DRLs / Turn signals in my DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Now that my NAV project is complete I'd like to try replacing those awful orange DRL turn signal bulbs with ...
    fleetwood96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS III;05 DTS;02&03 STS;96 F/W Brm;85 F/W Brm

Thinking of trying LED Switchback bulbs for DRLs / Turn signals in my DTS

Now that my NAV project is complete I'd like to try replacing those awful orange DRL turn signal bulbs with white/orange "Switchback" cree LED bulbs which would be white in DRL mode (from the wiring that's at the bulb now) but then run a wire for the turn signals from somewhere in the car so that this wire makes the LED bulbs blink orange. I think it would look neat to have while bulbs ON above the regular HID headlamps during the day. At night nothing would be on with them (except when the turn signal is on, of course).

I know I would need resistors to counteract the "fast flashing" on the WHITE side of things, and maybe 2 new 3157 sockets as I'm thinking the ones in the car only have 2 wires (hot & ground) and I need a 3rd wire for the orange turn signals, but am wondering if anyone has tried such a thing before, and if so, would know where I could run the extra wires to a place that gives +12v only when the turns signals are on? I'm thinking maybe the 2 front doors (for the LEDs in the outside mirrors), the body control module (BCM) -- which I'm not sure where it is (under the glove box?), or maybe even to the trunk at the taillamps (but only if the turn signals are separate wires from the brake lamp wires).

Ideas would be appreciated!

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (70K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Re: Thinking of trying LED Switchback bulbs for DRLs / Turn signals in my DTS

Dude! You're reading my mind!!! I was checking this out just last night...I didn't find anything right away, but I want the exact same thing.

I've seen on YouTube some videos of a Corvette with similar thing, but it wasn't quite what I was thinking...it had the amber DRL (with headlamps off) and when the headlamps are on, the DRL switches to the running light setting (not as bright as the DRL/Turn Signal) which is white...and this switches back/forth from white to amber when the turn signals are flashing. That is not what I am looking for.

Now, IIRC, the Corvette uses the amber turn signals as DRLs, just as our DTSs do...but the Corvette uses the running light to accompany the headlamps, whereas our DTSs do not illuminate the running lights in the turn signal bulbs when the headlamps are on. This tells me that the wiring will be somewhat different between the Corvette and DTS.

I started researching the new Fiat 500. I thought I had seen a 500 that had white DRLs...and that the corresponding DRL will turn off and the amber turn signal will flash on/off with the turn signal...then turn back to white when the turn signal is cancelled. This design is what I would like to have on my DTS. What I don't know is whether this setup is using one bulb that switches from amber to white...or if it is using two bulbs in one housing. I ran out of time last night, so I did not figure out if what I believed I saw on the 500 is accurate.

Please do post your findings...as I am very interested.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.