Why Should You Get Regular Alignments ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Why Should You Get Regular Alignments ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just read BillBill's experience at the Firestone alignment shop... That makes me sad and a little angry... My question is... ...
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Why Should You Get Regular Alignments ?

Just read BillBill's experience at the Firestone alignment shop...
    That makes me sad and a little angry...

My question is... why does almost everyone have their car aligned periodically ???

My car has over 131,000 miles on it and it has NEVER had an alignment.
    I have had it checked a few times at my dealer... but it has never needed alignment.

A lady friend of ours got ripped off for almost $1,000 bucks a couple of years ago at an alignment shop for work that ( I feel ) didn't need to be done.

Shortly after that, I had my car in for an oil change and checkup at my dealer.
    I "SPECIFICALLY" asked them to check the front end and the alignment to make sure everything was all ok.
    I was fixing to make a 6,000 mile road trip and didn't want any problems while I was far away from home.

They said that all mechanical parts were fine and gave me a pretty color printout of where they checked the alignment and it was well within specs...

Now... "The Rest Of The Story"...

Over the next few days I went to "SIX" alignment places that advertise free alignment checks...
    EVERY ONE OF THEM found things wrong with my car...

Estimates ranged from $250 dollars to over $1,200 dollars...

Remember .. I had just had it at my Cadillac Dealer and they said NOTHING was wrong with it.

So that brings me back to me original question...
    If it drives good... if it doesn't ROAD WALK... if it doesn't pull one way or the other... if it will stay in your lane for several hundred yards while going down the freeway with your hands just slightly off of the steering wheel...

WHY take it in for periodic alignments ???

Please give me your opinions... maybe I am missing something important about having one aligned...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Re: Questiom: Why Should You Get Regular Alignments ?

I too get a regular "results sheet" when I take my car in for its semi-annual check-up, but twice over the last 10 years an alignment has been necessary. I never noticed it while driving, but once it was noticed on the alignment machine and the other time uneven tire wear was spotted by the mechanic, who then checked the alignment.

The most likely culprit was either a pothole or me whacking the curb while parking.
    billbill1 likes this.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

It really depends on how the roads are in your town. For the most part the roads here are fine but there are a few that are trouble and have caused some alignment issues with my previous cars. I know tire manufacturers require an alignment when installing new tires or they will not honor the warranty if there are any issues with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    It really depends on how the roads are in your town. For the most part the roads here are fine but there are a few that are trouble and have caused some alignment issues with my previous cars.
    I know tire manufacturers require an alignment when installing new tires or they will not honor the warranty if there are any issues with the car.
    I have never heard of THAT before...
    I have NEVER EVER had to get an alignment when buying new tires in well over 50 years of driving...
    Maybe it's different here in Texas...

grullon10 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    If any one has driving in new york city know that we have to do wheel alligment very 6 month new york street are a nightmare.
    tjwhite721 likes this.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My first car (1969 Firebird) drove wonderfully for the first 25k miles until I replaced the tires and had the alignment checked. Took four subsequent alignments to undo the damage done by that alignment check. Haven't been a fan of alignments ever since. I think if you have a problem you'll either feel it in the steering wheel or see it with tire wear. If those things are fine, leave it alone.... My opinion.
    Superjim likes this.

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

I too was disturbed by billbill1's experiences.

In my community Firestone was caught by one of the local TV stations in a sting operation.

They had an inspected car go into Firestone for a check and had it come out with damaged parts and a large repair estimate.

Firestone was exposed and all of their shops in town closed a few months later. This happened a good 20 years ago and they've never come back.

Now I know that they may have been franchises and that it only takes one bad apple - but Firestone was ruined in this town.

Sad, because when I was a kid Firestone was the only place my father would go for wheel alignment and balancing.

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    I have never heard of THAT before...
    I have NEVER EVER had to get an alignment when buying new tires in well over 50 years of driving...
    Maybe it's different here in Texas...
    I've never had to get an alignment done when buying tires...but I have had to fix steering/suspension components when buying tires...and I've had to get periodic alignments to avoid voiding out my warranty...

A few years ago, I bought Goodyear ComforTred tires for my Buick Park Avenue. They are advertised as 80K mile tires...and they were shot after 33K. The local Sears Auto Center was great about helping me with invoking the warranty...however...Goodyear tried to claim I voided the warranty by not aligning my tires every year and rotating them, as well. I argued that the one alignment that I did not have a receipt for was done at a different store and that the one tire rotation was done in my driveway...whilst the rest were all done at the Sears Auto Center...and were documented as so. Goodyear conceded and honored the warranty...and I got new tires for free. I did, however, have to pay for mounting/balancing...and at that time, because Sears said one of my tie rods (or something like that) was worn, I had to replace that...otherwise, Sears said it would void my warranty...and pointed it out in the warranty information sheet.

By the way, the second set of ComforTred tires lasted well over 50K miles and were still good at the time I traded that car in.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

I agree with not having alignments, maybe (New York City) drivers. In most cases with the factory specs you don't even need to have the alignment done when replacing most front end parts.(REALLY)
    tjwhite721 likes this.

billbill1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 2006 DTS

Re: Why Should You Get Regular Alignments ?

Superjim
    My alignment, with Firestone, is one of those, "Life Time" things. I usually watch tire ware,and handling, as
    you noted. My concern, on this last alignment, was that I changed, R&L front struts and strut mounts, at
    100,000 miles. The ride improvement, was quite noticeable, the only change I might make next time, would be to go with the total, strut, strut mount, spring, package.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Wheel alignment and tire balancing may not be necessary on a frequent basis unless you live in the north snowy country or in the large city where chuck/pot holes are predominant. You may have to realign your vehicle after you hit the curb hard while parking. You may have to realign your vehicle following the replacement of one or more front end components. You could tell if you need alignment or tire balancing when driving. I have not had wheel alignment/tire balancing done for over two years.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville

Can you rear end alignment be off, but your front end alignment be good? My tires weren't rotated probably and cuff (spelling) on two tires were noticeable. They said it could be from uneven pressure from the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwhite721 View Post
    Can you rear end alignment be off, but your front end alignment be good? My tires weren't rotated probably and cuff (spelling) on two tires were noticeable. They said it could be from uneven pressure from the rear.
    Yes, the rear alignment CAN be off... but not usually.
    If it is your car will be running down the road kinda sideways.
    One way I check the front to rear alignment is, when the tires are wet and I pull into my garage... I look to see if the back tires are tracking straight with the front tires or if they are off a little bit to one side.

Cupping on tires are usually caused by improper alignment of the FRONT wheels or not rotating them often enough... not the rear.
    It is POSSIBLE for them to do it on the rear, but that would be very unusual.
    tjwhite721 likes this.

MrZoSo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

in NJ with 110k + miles and never an alignment.

aghgrn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS Sport traded for 2002 Eldorado ECS #1427

I honestly get tired of all the constant rotate/balance/align stuff as well. Basically buy all "life time" rotate/balance/align with my first tire change and bring it back there every time to change the oil. If they want to align it, fine because I bought the lifetime alignment. I personally feel the tire shops (Firestone/Tires Plus/NTB/etc) can handle all the oil change/brakes/suspension/tire stuff on almost any car. They will almost all offer the lifetime alignment for about the price of 3 regular alignments. I'm more wary of other mechanical work though. My previous good independent mechanic that knew Northstar's in the Kansas City area has just retired so I'm looking for one if anyone has a recommendation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.