Possible Wheel Bearing Failure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Possible Wheel Bearing Failure in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I hope you guys can help with a diagnosis. 2009 DTS 5,000 miles on the tires 58,000 miles on the ...
    pcf_mark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Possible Wheel Bearing Failure

I hope you guys can help with a diagnosis.

2009 DTS
    5,000 miles on the tires
    58,000 miles on the car

While driving at speeds above 40 mph there is a growl. It sounds like tires but it just started not started when the tires were installed. If I am on a smooth road steady throttle it growls. If I turn the wheel to the right the sound stops. If I turn to the left it keeps making the noise. I think this is a wheel bearing but I am not sure which side. Can someone help me confirm it is a wheel bearing and which side?

Also - the car is still under the basic warranty. Is this part of the powertrain?

Looks like Amazon is the hot ticket to buy one if I need it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Possible Wheel Bearing Failure

I would think it is the right side.
    When you turn left, weight is on the right side... when you turn right, weight is on the left side.
    The side that growls with more weight is usually the bad one.

I so not know if that would be covered under the powertrain warranty or not... but the FRONT WHEELS are what drives the car.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

It sounds like a wheel bearing problem. You can inspect yourself by looking for play. If you don't the proper equipment i.e., two jack stands, then you can get'm inspected by your local auto mechanic. You sure can buy wheel bearing hub assembly at Amazon for as low as $36.00. You can buy from the Amazon store if you can install them yourself. Otherwise get them replaced by your local auto-repair shop. I bought ball joints for my daughter's car and got'm installed by a local shop. One of them went bad after a month. I found out that Amazon does not honor the warranty. They told me to go the manufacturer but the manufacturer's rep told me to get the new one installed and they will refund me only if their laboratory found a manufacturing/design flaw and they have a backlog of seven to eight months. I was trying to save money. I could have bought the same thing from the auto shop at a higher price. If one or both had gone bad they would have replaced them for free with no labor charges. I learned my lesson.

Front hub assemblies are not part of the power train and they will not be covered by the basic warranty.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by pcf_mark View Post
    I hope you guys can help with a diagnosis.

2009 DTS
    5,000 miles on the tires
    58,000 miles on the car

While driving at speeds above 40 mph there is a growl. It sounds like tires but it just started not started when the tires were installed. If I am on a smooth road steady throttle it growls. If I turn the wheel to the right the sound stops. If I turn to the left it keeps making the noise. I think this is a wheel bearing but I am not sure which side. Can someone help me confirm it is a wheel bearing and which side?

Also - the car is still under the basic warranty. Is this part of the powertrain?

Looks like Amazon is the hot ticket to buy one if I need it.
    Hi pcf_mark,

I apologize for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing while driving at higher speeds. Bearings are covered under Powertrain warranty. Are you planning on bringing your vehicle into the dealership for a diagnosis? Please let me know what you decide to do. I can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

pcf_mark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

We took the car to the dealer who replaced the wheel bearing! I thought it was not covered but sure enough it was!

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

We took the car to the dealer who replaced the wheel bearing! I thought it was not covered but sure enough it was!
    Very good...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello pcf_mark,

I’m glad to hear that the dealer replaced the wheel bearing and it was covered under warranty! Did the repair address the issue you were hearing? Thank you very much for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Hello pcf_mark,

I'm glad that you got your Caddy's wheel bearings replaced under warranty. At least now I know that the power train warranty covers, among others, the wheel bearings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.