temp at 205
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, temp at 205 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Is there a way to change the coolant fan setting I know that the coolant fans star around 223f is ...
    grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts

temp at 205

Is there a way to change the coolant fan setting I know that the coolant fans star around 223f is there a way to make it them star at 203 on slow and 215 on high. With the ac on the temp stay between 200 and 210..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: temp at 205

No re-programming possible.

The fans run in SLOW any time the A/C is on, the A/C condenser dumps a LOT of heat in front of the coolant radiator, and a running temp of 200 - 210, under today's conditions, is perfectly normal and well within design limits. Don't sweat the small stuff. - drive the car.

Open the hood, start the engine, A/C ON. Fans should be running in SLOW. Turn the A/C OFF. Fans stop, the engine idles, temp climbs to 224, fans come on, engine cools to 213, fans stop. The cycle repeats. Normal. Normal.

There should be two Maxi-fuses, a fan circuit fuse or two, and 3 fan control relays in the underhood fuse box. There is a legend inside the top cover. If the fans do not operate as above, then check the fuses - pull each and reinstall, and do the same for the relays - they are TIGHT to get out. The 4-pin relays go in their sockets either way - the 5-pin goes in only one way. (4-pin relays either way ??? Look at the internal circuit diagram on the side of each relay.)

If water and coolant, plus lube oils, plastic and rubber would allow an engine to run at 250 -300 degrees all day it would be more efficient and get better gas mileage. Running temp has exactly nothing to do with the Northstar infamous head gasket cylinder block bolt hole problems.

See the thread next to this one - DTS "hot".

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by grullon10 View Post
    Is there a way to change the coolant fan setting I know that the coolant fans star around 223f is there a way to make it them star at 203 on slow and 215 on high. With the ac on the temp stay between 200 and 210..
    Yes... The ECM can be reprogrammed with EFI Live to turn on the fans at other than stock settings.
    Mine come on HIGH anytime the AC IS ON and the car is below 30mph...

Why ??? Do you own stock in a cooling fan company ??? Is there some benefit to placing a pretty large amperage draw on the electrical system for no reason ?? - and under almost 90% of Engine On time ??? ......... it sure won't mean a thing to the engine !

Good to know about the post-2004 engine management system changes, though.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Why ??? Do you own stock in a cooling fan company ??? Is there some benefit to placing a pretty large amperage draw on the electrical system for no reason ?? - and under almost 90% of Engine On time ??? ......... it sure won't mean a thing to the engine !

Good to know about the post-2004 engine management system changes, though.
    I am sorry... I was in a hurry and mistyped that.
    I meant when the AC is on and the vehicle speed is under 30...
    I believe the ECM control systems changed in 2006... 2005 and older, you can't do that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.