2006 DTS Hidden issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 DTS Hidden issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have narrowed down my choices and I am going to look at several 2006 - 2007 DTS. Any tips ...
    dodger21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2006 DTS Hidden issues

I have narrowed down my choices and I am going to look at several 2006 - 2007 DTS. Any tips on anything "hidden" I should be looking for? Maybe Things that these DTS are famous for having fail besides the headlights? One with 115000 miles had new control arms bearings and waterpump. Seems good from the computer.....we will see how it looks in person tho....thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: 2006 DTS Hidden issues

I would try to find out why the water pump was replaced...
    They don't fail very often...
    Look at the 8th digit of the VIN.... If it is a "9" it has the MAGRIDE suspension... If it is a "Y" it does not.
    A few of them leak oil at the rear valve cover and at the case half seal.

dodger21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks jim. What is the concensus on mag ride? This one does not have it.

LtFrankTheTank is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Dts performance
    Superjim what's the difference in the suspension ? I guess I just an elaborate answer that's all. Thank you

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

The VIN "Y" cars have normal struts on the front and normal shocks on the rear.
    VIN "9" cars have the computer controlled, Magnetic ride suspension on front and back.

The Magride can adjust the shocks up to 1000 times a second to adjust and compensate for the road and how you are driving it.
    VIN "9" cars are a lot less "FLOATY" on the highway and have less lean when cornering.
    They come with 18 inch wheels and low profile tires for better handling and better road feel in spirited driving.

With the Magnetic ride coupled with the different tires and wheels, someone that REALLY KNOWS HOW to drive a front wheel drive car can really surprise you with what a two and a half ton Cadillac is capable of... LOL LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Just to comment on Jim's last paragraph, I just came back from a 20 mile drive on one of Maine's "ya can't get ther-ah from he-ah" back roads which was loaded with frost heaves, pot holes and their patches, mogul like bumps, along with plenty of ups and downs and twisties (and an occasional stretch of dirt road). 55- 60 mph was a one-hand-on-the-wheel piece of cake drive. Don't know too many cars of this size that could do as well.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

I had to replace my 06 waterpump last winter at around 76,000 mi. $400 + @ an independant shop.
    Norm

Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade
    2006 DTS.jpg

Classifieds need to go in the classifieds section.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Please don't hijack threads, and advertising is not allowed outside of the classifieds section.

Also, posting personal information on a public forum is a BAD idea.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville
    I would buy the non magnetic ride DTS. When the shocks and struts go bad, your only gonna have to spend a few hundred compared to thousands for the performance suspension.

I also just bought a used DTS, that has oil issues. I filed a complaint with Cadillac about it.

Todd

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.