2006 DTS Oil Leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 DTS Oil Leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I own a 2006 DTS. Started noticing some small drops of oil on the floor in the garage. Cleaned up ...
    ChrisRick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts

2006 DTS Oil Leak

I own a 2006 DTS. Started noticing some small drops of oil on the floor in the garage. Cleaned up the engine as much as possible to try to find the source. Could never pinpoint the source but still getting some spots. It has gotten worse in the last week. One interesting thing I've noticed is that there is oil at the top left (when standing at the front bumper looking at the engine) getting on the radiator refill and even on the bottom of the hood. It looks like the leak is at the back of the engine towards the passenger side. I have an appointment in two days at the dealer was hoping to get a jump on what I can expect to hear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: 2006 DTS Oil Leak

My guess from your description.. and it's just a guess... is the rear valve cover / cam cover leaking.
    That is not uncommon.

DevilleDeeman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII, 2008 Saturn Vue XR

Two common leaks on these engines. 1. SuperJim mentioned above 2. Half case seal. Half case seal is usually a "seep" and burns off while you drive rarely leaving oil on the driveway though unless the seal is completely gone.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Oil being thrown onto the hood insulation and firewall - leaking power steering pressure line or pump shaft seal ???

Engine oil level correct - in the middle of the XXXXXXXXXX hashmark ??? P/S fluid OK ??

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRick View Post
    I own a 2006 DTS. Started noticing some small drops of oil on the floor in the garage. Cleaned up the engine as much as possible to try to find the source. Could never pinpoint the source but still getting some spots. It has gotten worse in the last week. One interesting thing I've noticed is that there is oil at the top left (when standing at the front bumper looking at the engine) getting on the radiator refill and even on the bottom of the hood. It looks like the leak is at the back of the engine towards the passenger side. I have an appointment in two days at the dealer was hoping to get a jump on what I can expect to hear.
    Hello ChrisRick,

I see forum members have offered their advice on your situation. I apologize for any inconvenience the oil leak is causing for you. I see you are going to the dealer in two days. Please keep me posted on the outcome of the dealer visit. I can be reached via private message so we can further discuss the outcome and any concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Oil being thrown onto the hood insulation and firewall - leaking power steering pressure line or pump shaft seal ???

Engine oil level correct - in the middle of the XXXXXXXXXX hashmark ??? P/S fluid OK ??
    I'm a true car novice so...
    I checked the power steering fluid and it's dry. I turned the car on and checked again and there is the correct amount. The oil level remain fairly constant. I turned the car on and let it run in the garage and there are no signs of any leaks.
    There is a streak of oil on the hood insulation that seems to have been thrown there by oil hitting the belt on the passenger side of the engine.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That's most likely a P/S pump shaft leak. With the engine OFF the P/S fluid level should show on the bottom part of the little dipstick hashmark.

Maybe - maybe - a crankshaft front seal leak (harmonic balancer) but that's a rare occurrence in these cars. A leaking cam cover seal would simply weep oil down the right side (rear) of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    That's most likely a P/S pump shaft leak. With the engine OFF the P/S fluid level should show on the bottom part of the little dipstick hashmark.

Maybe - maybe - a crankshaft front seal leak (harmonic balancer) but that's a rare occurrence in these cars. A leaking cam cover seal would simply weep oil down the right side (rear) of the engine.
    so perhaps PS fluid rather than oil? thank me latter for the hearty belly laugh you're going to have at this next question-
    how can I tell the difference? Does PS fluid also cause water to bead?

DevilleDeeman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII, 2008 Saturn Vue XR

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRick View Post
    so perhaps PS fluid rather than oil? thank me latter for the hearty belly laugh you're going to have at this next question-
    how can I tell the difference? Does PS fluid also cause water to bead?
    Being an oil based product PS fluid would bead, to tell the difference from oil and PS fluid would be the color or smell. If you are experiencing some form of oil on the hood I would look for a hose leak somewhere in that region a pinhole is all it takes some times.

Cadillac_Phx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Concours (SOLD) / 2006 DTS Lux II

Does it bother anyone else that the CADILLAC CUSTOMER SERVICE member that works for the dealer always posts the same thing in every thread? "Please keep me posted on the outcome of the dealer visit. I can be reached via private message so we can further discuss the outcome and any concerns".

I see the Dealers service dept. as dirty crooks. Over charging everything & even tampering with your vehicles (without warranty) so that you'll bring them back. My .02

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Cadillac customer service reps don't work at or for any dealer.

And why would a copied and pasted post bother anyone? Why should they ask the same questions with different wording each time?

Well there is a little different wording in each but I just don't like the service people at the dealer. They loosened my ABS harness once. Luckily my cousin works for Chevy dealer and told me not to take it in. They were already telling me that it would be a $1,400 repair over the phone!! The tech at my local dealer drives a 1999 Acura, they don't care about your cars. Only the $$$

so speaking of dealers...I'm taking this to the dealer because it just seems like the way to go. should i consider an independent auto repair shop?

I got a place by me called The Cadi Shop, run by two guys who used to by Cadillac techs and went into business for them selves. Cheaper & reliable, do some research and see if any small shops near you specify in Cadillacs.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_Phx View Post
    Does it bother anyone else that the CADILLAC CUSTOMER SERVICE member that works for the dealer always posts the same thing in every thread? "Please keep me posted on the outcome of the dealer visit. I can be reached via private message so we can further discuss the outcome and any concerns".

I see the Dealers service dept. as dirty crooks. Over charging everything & even tampering with your vehicles (without warranty) so that you'll bring them back. My .02
    Hello Cadillac_Phx,

I am sorry if you are bothered by my statements. We are here to assist our customer in anyway that we can. We ask to communicate via private message to protect customers personal information. MoistCabbage is correct, we do not work for the dealer. We represent General Motors and are based out of the Detroit headquarters. We act as a liaison between the customer and the dealer, while having the customer and fixing their issue at our best interest.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.