Question about stereo / Nav / back up cam (recommedations, installations, etc)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fmcastro
  • 1 Post By TopherS
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Question about stereo / Nav / back up cam (recommedations, installations, etc) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Caddilack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question about stereo / Nav / back up cam (recommedations, installations, etc)

Hey folks,

Brand new to the forum as I have just purchased a 2009 Cadillac DTS with 18K. I believe it is the basic model (no addons).

I wanted to do a couple things with it and was hoping anyone could help me. Since my questions are different I will number them so if you only know part of an answer, please feel free to give your opinion on that.

I also searched and couldn't find too much relevant in this sub forum but if I missed something, please point me to that thread.

My questions involve a new stereo / Nav system / back up camera

I. Stereo

As mentioned above, it is the basic model. Here is a picture of the stereo. I would like to swap out the current one with a better one.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations on a new stereo? I was hoping for a touch screen with the ability to incorporate the Nav System and possibly the back up camera, so a monitor would be ideal. I saw that the Cadillac does have an upgraded model, however, it looked pretty bad especially for the ebay price of 600-1000 dollars. Anyone have thoughts on that model? Anyone have some after market stereos recommendations?

2. How difficult would it be to swap out the old stereo and install the new one myself? The videos I have seen online seem like a manageable task.

3. If this is not a DYI, how much would you expect it would cost? (just a guess)

4. Is the old stereo worth anything? Should I try to sell it? If so, what would be a good price?

II. Nav System

Looking for Nav system that could be used in conjunction with the stereo. Any recommendations? I was hoping for speech with street names (e.g. “turn right on Main street” vs. “in 300 feet, turn right”).

III. Back up camera

The DTS is a lot longer than my current car. I have driven the DTS and have driven it just find, including parallel parking, but I would feel more comfortable with a back up camera.

1. Any recommendations on a back up camera? Something simple, but can be used at night

2. Any opinions on wired v. wireless camera?

3. How hard would it be to install myself?

4. Could I use my stereo monitor as the camera monitor? For example, if I put the car in reverse, the monitor would automatically show the back up camera view?

So those are the questions I have. Am I missing anything or making this harder than I should?

Like I mentioned before, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddilack is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Question about stereo / Nav / back up cam (recommedations, installations, etc)

No one?

fmcastro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Lux II, '11 CTS Lux

Re: Question about stereo / Nav / back up cam (recommedations, installations, etc)

I have the same radio in my '06 Lux 2 DTS. It is acceptable, just barely, best sound with CD (not FM) If I was going the Nav/Back Up Camera route I would contact a pro and see what is offered. I manage well with my portable GPS (Garmin) and can use it in both my cars. My wife's '11 CTS has a back up cam and I still use the mirrors and lots of caution. Good luck with your DTS. It is a great car!
    Caddilack likes this.

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

When I bought my '08 LuxIII DTS last month, it had an aftermarket stereo in it...complete with SatNav, Bluetooth, backup camera, iPod interface, touchscreen controls, etc. The SatNav doesn't give street names in it's voice-directions, but it does put the street name you are going to turn onto in the top banner of the display...rather handy. The Backup Camera is also a handy feature. This works at the moment you put the car in reverse...but also has a split-screen feature which allows the display to show the SatNav on the right and the reverse camera on the left...all whilst driving forwards...kind of a see-where-you've-been sort of thing. The split-screen turns to full-screen when the car goes into reverse.

In researching, I found my DTS originally had the stereo you have.

All of that said, it has not been the ideal situation. I have had a lot of problems with this stereo system, including:

* Bluetooth that has never worked...and I've learned that it may be some sort of chip or something that had a propensity for burning out in this stereo...and will require sending in the stereo and about $350 to fix. I'm looking to upgrade my OnStar module to a 2009+ model that has built-in Bluetooth capability. Meanwhile, no Bluetooth function.

* Backup camera that sometimes has a very darkened image. I haven't figured out whether it's the camera itself (mounted in the license plate opening -- top/center) or the stereo unit...but it's an intermittent problem. When the image is darkened (about 50% of the time), it's useless. When it works, it works great...and in conjunction with my reversing sensors and the mirrors, I find this feature very helpful.

* SatNav that sometimes shows me driving about 50 feet to the left of the actual road when I first drive off...but, usually within about 500 feet of driving, the system corrects itself and shows me driving on the road.

* The touchscreen is buggy, and when trying to type in an address for the SatNav, the letters you are pressing are not always what it registers.

* Stereo can only play out of the front speakers. When I was trying to figure out the Bluetooth problem (which still hasn't been fixed), I learned that the factory system has an external amp and this somehow interferes with the aftermarket stereo, which has it's own amp (or something to this effect)...so the audio can only come out of the front speakers. The voice-directions on the SatNav ("right turn ahead", etc) comes out of all the car's speakers, however.

* The aftermarket stereo requires a separate module to allow XM or Sirius Satellite Radio capabilities...whereas, the factory stereo system has XM built in.

* I have OnStar's Directions and Connections package and the OnStar system and the stereo system don't get along. Whenever the OnStar system is in use (if I'm on the OnStar phone or when the OnStar system is trying to give me directions on where to turn to get to my destination), it shuts off the stereo system and (usually) overrides the speakers. The phone bit works properly, but the OnStar voice directions don't always come through...I just see the stereo turn itself off and no instructions come out of the speakers. Then, when the OnStar system is done (when I hang up the phone or after the directions were given at that moment), the stereo system has to reboot...takes about 10 seconds for the music to come back on.

* The iPod has to be unplugged and plugged back in each time the car is started...or after the stereo reboots when using OnStar directions or phone...otherwise, there's no audio. The display shows what song is playing, but until it is disconnected/reconnected, you cannot hear it.

I've been tempted to buy and install the original stereo and ditch the quirky system...the rationale being that I can use OnStar for directions instead of the SatNav...I'll have XM Radio capabilities and I'll have my full speaker audio, rather than just front speakers only. On the other hand, however, I do like the extra info that the SatNav system provides that OnStar doesn't...and I like having a Backup Camera (when it works properly)...and the music info shown on the display is handy. I have also thought about replacing my stereo unit with a different aftermarket unit...but they are so pricey that I don't know that I want to spend that kind of money. In the meantime, though, I've been very busy and haven't had enough time to really look into what I'm going to do with all of this.

According to the Cadillac dealership where this car was once sold (as a used car) the owner had the system installed (along with the cloth top, moon roof and gold package) in February 2011...so this system is only 2 years old and it's already problematic.

I don't know how much this info will really help you, but I hope that by sharing my experience, it will give you some heads up on what you might expect with replacing your stereo with an aftermarket unit. My recommendation is to do a lot of homework about the unit you're looking for and find out whether it has issues that plague it...as well as how the aftermarket unit may...or may not...interface with your car's systems.

Hope this helps.
    Caddilack likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.