2007 DTS temp gauge reading hot
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2007 DTS temp gauge reading hot in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have a 2007 cadillac dts and the temperture gauge keeps rising towards the red but it never actually runs ...
    bishop4lb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cadillac dts

2007 DTS temp gauge reading hot

i have a 2007 cadillac dts and the temperture gauge keeps rising towards the red but it never actually runs hot. i have changed the radiator, thermostat twice, water pump, and temperature sensor and fan relay switch. there is no lost of fluid either. does anyone have a idea of what this could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    You may have air in the system. Check the purg line is the one that goes from the coolant tank to the. Water pump area. It may be clog.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2007 dts temp gauge reading hot

Quote Originally Posted by bishop4lb View Post
    i have a 2007 cadillac dts and the temperture gauge keeps rising towards the red but it never actually runs hot. i have changed the radiator, thermostat twice, water pump, and temperature sensor and fan relay switch. there is no lost of fluid either. does anyone have a idea of what this could be?
    Hello bishop4lb,

I see you have been offered advice from grullon10. Please keep us updated on what your plan of action is and if your temperature gauge starts to work again. If you would like to further discuss your concern, please private message me and we can continue to interact.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Gomaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS II

mine does the same thing, mine is a 09 and it goes up to almost hot, then the fan kicks in and brings it down but seems strange that it runs hot so often.

SNIPEREAGLE177 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CADILLAC DTS PERFORMANCE

I was told the fans kick in at 214f slow 224f fast. However the gauge is very dampened and might read improperly. I was driving with 1/16th" over the the halfway mark, no loss of coolant, and one time over the 3/4 mark straight out of the dealer. Dealer re-flashed a module not sure which one to try to compensate for the gauge reading. Its amazing how these cars work and how little it takes to run crazy. Truth is you're running a N* and these cars run hot from new, according to the GM Tech manual the transmission oil runs at an astounding 314f before the fans can be triggered to kick in and help cool it. I really hope this might help you understand a little bit about your car. If you need any diagrams hit me up and I will provide them for you. Unless you go into the limp home mode and your car maintains and average of 220f-230f of temp you're running good. To help me be at ease I installed some LEDs that tell me when fan1 and fan2 have kicked in. This definitely helped me while i was stuck in traffic and my needle moved. I dont think its right for a gauge to move but without tech2 i cant see what the temp sensor is reading and telling the computer to do. Anyways I hope this put you at ease and you could always reply if you have any questions. There are a couple of people here that were very helpful to me and they can also help.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

My temp stays mostly right in the middle... like in the picture below.
    If I am in heavy, stop and go traffic and the outside temps are over 100 the needle will move up about about one to one and a half needle width, almost but not quite, to the next mark.
    I have never seen it get all the way to the next mark.

ChrisRick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts

[QUOTE=Superjim;10515913]My temp stays mostly right in the middle... like in the picture below.
    If I am in heavy, stop and go traffic and the outside temps are over 100 the needle will move up about about one to one and a half needle width, almost but not quite, to the next mark.
    I have never seen it get all the way to the next mark.

really glad you posted this pic. mine(temp gauge) is exactly like that and i've often wondered if that's where it should typically sit.

RubirosaGGatsby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS
    Mine has been doing this, too, recently. To a point where it's one notch or a notch-and-a-half above the middle line. It usually only happens when I'm driving on city streets/in stop-and-go traffic; on the highway it's just fine. Wasn't sure what the right fix would be.

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    Is normal for this car to do that but also check the res cap when it goes bad it do not hold the pressure and some time it leack coolant.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You guys might want to go to the Engines, Northstar Performance threads and read the 3 cooling system sticky posts there. The 9 gauge ticks represent the same temperatures, regardless of car year/model. There are several gauge pictures, annotated with temperatures, in the Seville, Deville, and Engines; Northstar Performance threads.

The fan controls are also pretty standard - this thread has some bad info on fan control - For the Northstar, fans run in SLOW any time an A/C function which calls for compressor operation is set. If the HVAC is OFF, the ECT sensor and PCM control fan speed: Fans go to SLOW at 224 degreesF, the engine cools to 213, fans turn OFF and the cycle begins again. (This will happen only in slow or stopped traffic - over 35 mph fans are not used/needed.) If the ambient temp is high, traffic is simply awful, or there's a cooling system fault then fans go to FAST at 236. Overheat does not occur until about 265 degrees F or so. Fans also go to FAST at a transmission fluid temp of 304 degrees - yep, 304.

There is an annotated temp gauge in my albums - the Community tab, Albums, the red Seville. 2 albums, 6 pages of Northstar stuff.

Don't simply skim over this picture - study it. JimD did a bunch of work on the original temperature annotation and 6 of us did more a while back. As always, YRMV.......... and, as posted, those temp numbers and ticks correspond with the gauge in the later "DTS" cars.
    tjwhite721 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.