Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I swear I'm not making this up!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
Since January I've been back to the dealer four times ( yes, four ) for a noise in the front end. Under 20 mph on bumpy surfaces or turning right over a small curb, like into a gas station, I hear a very distinct clunking sound. The first time I had it checked I got the standard blow off, no problem found. The second time they replaced just the strut mounts, not the bearings too. Third time they threw a pair of struts at it. At this point the noise had gotten quieter but was still there. On July 2nd I dropped it off again with the same complaint. Because of multiple complaints for the same problem they had me take their "shop foreman" for a ride so he could hear the noise. This is the same guy who told me that the voice recognition radio doesn't work right because the radio doesn't have VR. I finally just gave up on getting that repaired. Anyway the advisor called yesterday, ten days later, and said my car was ready. When I asked what they had found, I was told they had checked EVERYTHING and found no problem so they removed a splash shield, I guess the fender liner, and glued foam insulation to the inside of the wheel well! I thought for a moment that my head would explode. I asked if I was supposed to keep driving it until something falls off? Maybe then they could find the problem. I managed to stay cool, didn't even raise my voice and informed her this was totally unacceptable and that I wanted the Cadillac rep involved. He's supposed to be in town Thursday. This car only has 51k miles. The subframe and tranny have been out of it to reseal the lower engine. The front motor mount has been replaced along with sway bar links and the rack and pinion along with the aforementioned suspension parts. My thought is that something wasn't tightened correctly or maybe a tie rod or ball joint is bad. I do know for sure that gluing foam insulation to the wheel well is not going to fix whatever is loose! I guess they reasoned that if you can't find the problem, just cover it up. Can't wait to get the CSI survey for this one. Sorry for being so long winded, I'll let you know what happens. I swear that every word of this true.

See less See more
#4 ·
I forgot to add that when I got in the car to leave the DIC was showing a warning that the right rear tire pressure was 17 lbs and the left was 24. I went back to the advisor who saw me come thru the door and said I'll be right back. She came back with the "shop foreman" before even asking what was wrong. It took about another 15 minutes for him to air up the tires. I wish that another dealer was an option. The next closest one I would use is over 40 miles away. Not real convenient. I may have to resort to that though.

#7 ·
Yes, what everybody else said. I had a strut bearing go bad. I replaced it with an aftermarket bearing. The car would make a clunking sound like something solid was separating for a moment and then tapping back together.. I took the strut off many times. There was no play in it. I eventually bought an OEM bearing and replaced it. Problem solved.

#8 ·
Hello cjcarlin,

I apologize that you have had to take your DTS back into the dealership multiple times for the same concern. I can understand how frustrating multiple visits for the same concern can be very frustrating. I do see that you have said that a Cadillac rep has been called and is going to be in town on Thursday. Do you have an open case with our customer care team as well? If so, could you provide me with your VIN and your case number in a private message? If you do not have a case number, please private message your name, contact info, VIN, and name of the dealership you are working with so I can do some further research on your behalf? Thank you very much for your time. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#13 ·
Since January I've been back to the dealer four times ( yes, four ) for a noise in the front end. ..... Can't wait to get the CSI survey for this one. Sorry for being so long winded, I'll let you know what happens. I swear that every word of this true.
I know how you feel. It happened to me once with my previous car and I was very frustrated with the GM dealership and their regional representative. I went in to the dealership as I was experiencing a grinding/rubbing noise from the front end. I was noticing the noise level would be predominant when making a right turn. They c/k’d out my vehicle and they could not find anything wrong. The Service Advisor told me that there was nothing wrong with the car. I went back again and they decided to replace the right CV joint and they claimed to test-drive the car after the repairs. I brought it home but I was still experiencing the same problem. So I went back the following day and I was very upset. They brought in their senior mechanic but he was no help. I demanded to see the head honcho but he was off. Then I called the regional office and complained about my frustrations. Couple of weeks later I went back to the same dealership to see the representative. I was shocked to find that he took their side. I walked away and took my vehicle to another reputable ASE certified shop. They ended up replacing the other CV joint with half the cost. My problem went away. My suggestion would be to try your local dealership first and if they don't take care you or your vehicle with TLC then walk away and start using a local reputable shop. One thing I noticed that some shops want to rip you off but you, as an owner of your baby, should be cognizant of all situations. The most important thing is that you should try to learn enough about your car and should keep track of all the maintenance records religiously. Enough said, I think if you own a vehicle and, at the repair time, you would be at the mercy of the auto shops unless you can fix it yourself! After all, it's your baby and your wallet.

#14 ·
Hello
I deal with Canadian Tire , on Gateway Avenue ,in Edmonton Alberta. They can fix anything that rolls.If I have a problem,they are on it pronto.
They tell me what it is and the cost. They fix it and I go away happy. I have a 2008 DTS Base and a 2009 Toyota Venza AWD.

#15 ·
Hello cjcarlin,

I am sorry to hear of your multiple trips to the dealer for the same issue this year. I understand your frustration with your situation. I want to gather additional information in regards to this matter. Can you please private message me and include your contact information, VIN and the name and location of the dealership which you have worked with?

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.