Help! Shake N' Brake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Help! Shake N' Brake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2006 DTS Lux III with 56K on the clock. I've noticed that it would start shaking and ...
    MW94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS LUX III, '12 Chrysler 300 Limited

Help! Shake N' Brake

I have a 2006 DTS Lux III with 56K on the clock.
    I've noticed that it would start shaking and vibrating around 45-60mph then smooth out to a buttery goodness ride at 70+.
    But then it started shaking heavily when I would apply the brakes.
    I just got the tires rotated and balanced today hoping it would help, but it didn't do much at all.
    Recently I've replaced brake pads and new hubs on the front.
    Any ideas as to what could be? I'm thinking tie rod ends or warped rotors. But I want your opinions please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: Help! Shake N' Brake

MW94,

It could be several areas/things; i.e., components associated with the suspension, tires (tires cupping, tire belts shifting, etc), brakes like you mentioned about the warped rotor(s), etc. But when you mentioned that the vehicle started shaking heavily when you applied brakes then the first recommendation came to my mind that you should get the rotors c/k'ed out. If this does not alleviate the problem then you should proceed to other areas, mentioned above.

By the way what did the shop mechanic say where you got the tires work done or you just forgot to mention about the shaking/vibration issue?

Please keep us posted about your progress.

Bearrington is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I had a similar problem on my 07, I got a bad shake from 50-65 mph then over 65 was fine. I had the wheels balanced and it seemed to get worse so I had them balanced again and voila no more shake! I guess a wheel balance can only be as good as the tech that performs it!

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    I had the same problem with shaking between 45 and 65 until I found the right tech. After this guy did my wheel balance the shaking stop. The shaking when you brake 80% of the time it mean that you have bad rotor.

Hello All!
    Sorry I''ve been out lately, been busy with school, here I thought that aircraft maintenance would be easy like with cars. dead wrong!
    But anyways I am planning to go out tomorrow and get this looked at, it only seems to come up when I've driven in the city and use the brakes excessively. Like when the rotors come up to temperature, I have a very sneeking suspicion that it's the rotors, I just did a quick look at em through the rim and Im seeing uneven wear marks. But still I will go and have it looked at to justify it! I will keep everyone posted about the progress! Thanks everyone for you help!

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

It is very, very, very unlikely that you have a bad rotor.
    If your car still has the original brakes pads or if they were replaced with the original pads... what you have is a buildup of pad material on the rotors.
    This will cause a shuddering feel when you apply the brakes... the hotter the brakes and rotors are... the worse it will feel.
    I know... I had the same problem for several years till I replaced the pads on my car.
    Now it is smooth as silk.
    There are reformulated pads available the eliminate this problem.

Part number for the front... ACDelco 171-0985
    Part number for the rear... ACDelco 171-0954

I did not replace any of my rotors... just the brake pads.
    Vibration, shuddering and brake pedal pulsation is gone.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by MW94 View Post
    Hello All!
    Sorry I''ve been out lately, been busy with school, here I thought that aircraft maintenance would be easy like with cars. dead wrong!
    But anyways I am planning to go out tomorrow and get this looked at, it only seems to come up when I've driven in the city and use the brakes excessively. Like when the rotors come up to temperature, I have a very sneeking suspicion that it's the rotors, I just did a quick look at em through the rim and Im seeing uneven wear marks. But still I will go and have it looked at to justify it! I will keep everyone posted about the progress! Thanks everyone for you help!
    Hello MW94,

I apologize for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing. Please do keep us posted on the progress. If you would like to further discuss any concern or issue, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

I have after market ceramics on them, would it still cause that?

----------

Well here's an update,
    I went to my local Caddy dealership and had them open it up and looked at,
    they said that the front rotors are indeed gone "bad" and they are too thin to turn over so they say that they have to be replaced.
    Also my rear pads are worn out.
    The estimates they gave me JUST for the front ROTORS was $450
    Estimate for just rear pads was $300
    That is just way too much money for these things.
    I have messed around with many cars and did various things, but not ever in my 20 years of existence have I ever done Pads or rotors,
    I am in school to be an aircraft mechanic so I have mechanical ability as well as a decent set of Snap On tools.
    Do you all think rotors is something I can do myself or just leave it to the professionals?
    From what I ASSUME doing rotors would be, is take the calipers off by the bolts on the back of it, hang the caliper, and pull the rotor off, is it really that "easy"?
    Thanks again for your input!

I have after market ceramics on them, would it still cause that?

----------

Well here's an update,
    I went to my local Caddy dealership and had them open it up and looked at,
    they said that the front rotors are indeed gone "bad" and they are too thin to turn over so they say that they have to be replaced.
    Also my rear pads are worn out.
    The estimates they gave me JUST for the front ROTORS was $450
    Estimate for just rear pads was $300
    That is just way too much money for these things.
    I have messed around with many cars and did various things, but not ever in my 20 years of existence have I ever done Pads or rotors,
    I am in school to be an aircraft mechanic so I have mechanical ability as well as a decent set of Snap On tools.
    Do you all think rotors is something I can do myself or just leave it to the professionals?
    From what I ASSUME doing rotors would be, is take the calipers off by the bolts on the back of it, hang the caliper, and pull the rotor off, is it really that "easy"?
    Thanks again for your input!
    Yes, it really is that easy...
    There is a TORX screw in the rotor that holds it solid to the hub assembly..
    Picture below...

Front rotor...ACDelco 177-1006
    $63.44
    http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-10...1&s=automotive

Rear rotor... ACDelco 177-1002
    $47.81
    http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-10...1&s=automotive

----------

MW94...

Front pads...
    $52.06
    http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-171-09...words=171-0985

Rear pads... $67.51
    http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-171-09...words=171-0954

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

No such thing as a warped rotor, old saying from auto racing, can not happen on our cars. Sub on this forum has a great thread on the rotor farce. Before you do anything find a GOOD tire only shop that knows about ROAD FORCE BALANCE, get that done right, first. It solved my vibration. The caddy dealer just tried to get me for rotors, I said just put the pads on that Jim gave you the part# and my brakes are as good as new. Jim is bang on about the pads leaving imprints on the rotors, ranger on this forum rides his brakes for 2 miles then no braking at all for 5 miles, seems to work for him. Our rotors last a long long long time.

Oh man oh man, now I'm left here with a dilemma, to replace rotors or not to replace rotors?
    Dealer tech showed me that my rotors were too thin, showed me the min. thickness is supposed to be 28.6 (of some unit) and mine were at 29.8 (of some unit, I forgot honestly)

I had new ceramics put on the front about 6,000 miles ago when I had the front two hubs replaced...

----------

ALSO I've noticed that the 12-13 Impala uses the same rotor part number for the 06-08 DTS, The impala rotors are cheaper, even the ACDELCO ones, would it be wise to order 2012 Impala rotors for my 06 DTS?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Well then they're not too thin for service. Too thin to be turned maybe.

Try several aggressive brake applications from highway speeds to ~20 MPH or so. Then allow them to cool for 2 or so miles without stopping.

If that doesn't work, replace the pads and rotors.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

I'm sorry to say that I think you will still have the vibration even if you change them. Do what MoistCabbage said and for only $50 get them ROAD FORCE BALANCED properly by someone that really knows what that means before replacing OEM rotors please.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Well then they're not too thin for service. Too thin to be turned maybe.

Try several aggressive brake applications from highway speeds to ~20 MPH or so. Then allow them to cool for 2 or so miles without stopping.

If that doesn't work, replace the pads and rotors.

Is that called "bedding in" ? Because we do it on most light aircraft to set the rotors and brakes in, and it's kind of doing what you suggested.
    I think it might be worth it to give it a shot lol.

What the measurements show is that it is too thin to TURN AGAIN...
    It is still JUST BARELY in spec to go ahead and USE.

The Impala "POLICE CAR" uses the same rotor part number... not the regular Impale...

I "WOULD NOT" put anything on it but original AC DELCO parts.... but that's just me...
    I have over 130,000 on my 2006 and it still runs and drives about like a new one.

I don't know where you found cheaper prices for the rotors... but if it is the SAME PART NUMBER... get them from the cheapest place, but just remember...
    Amazon gives "FREE" 2 day shipping if you have a Prime account.

Remember to factor in shipping charges and how long it will take to get them from some place else.

----------

Is that called "bedding in" ? Because we do it on most light aircraft to set the rotors and brakes in, and it's kind of doing what you suggested.
    I think it might be worth it to give it a shot lol.
    Yes...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.