Help! Shake N' Brake - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Help! Shake N' Brake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Superjim What the measurements show is that it is too thin to TURN AGAIN ... It is ...
    MW94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS LUX III, '12 Chrysler 300 Limited

Re: Help! Shake N' Brake

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    What the measurements show is that it is too thin to TURN AGAIN...
    It is still JUST BARELY in spec to go ahead and USE.

The Impala "POLICE CAR" uses the same rotor part number... not the regular Impale...

I "WOULD NOT" put anything on it but original AC DELCO parts.... but that's just me...
    I have over 130,000 on my 2006 and it still runs and drives about like a new one.

I don't know where you found cheaper prices for the rotors... but if it is the SAME PART NUMBER... get them from the cheapest place, but just remember...
    Amazon gives "FREE" 2 day shipping if you have a Prime account.

Remember to factor in shipping charges and how long it will take to get them from some place else.

----------

Yes...
    Okay I see, it's all making sense now!
    And yes Superjim I completely agree with you on ACDelco parts, original really is the best way to go. It holds true for my '02 Express 3500 Pass Van, only ever put AcDelco on it and 195K on the clock it runs solid.
    I was shopping around and found them on acdelcodirect.com, also rockauto and amazon have consistently shown lower prices. But I will do my homework!
    Just trying to save every penny I can lol.
    Thank you for your help!

----------

Thank you everyone for your inputs! Y'all are awesome! All of you really helped me out a lot, and I will very soon get to work on my baby.
    I will keep everyone updated, and if there are anymore tricks or suggestions please don't hesitate to help a brother out!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The procedure I described is not the same as "bedding in" new brakes, that's something a bit more involved, and takes place over a longer period of time. It is similar to the initial bed in process, but is intended to burn excess pad material off of the rotors.

Just to clarify, doing this, or replacing the pads and rotors, will only solve the vibration while braking. The vibration while not braking is a different issue.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

[QUOTE=MW94;10532473]Oh man oh man, now I'm left here with a dilemma, to replace rotors or not to replace rotors?
    Dealer tech showed me that my rotors were too thin, showed me the min. thickness is supposed to be 28.6 (of some unit) and mine were at 29.8 (of some unit, I forgot honestly)

I had new ceramics put on the front about 6,000 miles ago when I had the front two hubs replaced...[COLOR="Silver"]

The units are mm. So, the recommended Min is 28.9 mm and yours are 29.8 mm; a difference 1.2 mm which is minute/very small thickness. I would recommend replacing the front rotors. You said that you installed new ceramics pads and not the rotors!!

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    It is very, very, very unlikely that you have a bad rotor.
    If your car still has the original brakes pads or if they were replaced with the original pads... what you have is a buildup of pad material on the rotors.
    This will cause a shuddering feel when you apply the brakes... the hotter the brakes and rotors are... the worse it will feel.
    I know... I had the same problem for several years till I replaced the pads on my car.
    Now it is smooth as silk.
    There are reformulated pads available the eliminate this problem.

Part number for the front... ACDelco 171-0985
    Part number for the rear... ACDelco 171-0954

I did not replace any of my rotors... just the brake pads.
    Vibration, shuddering and brake pedal pulsation is gone.
    Hi SuperJim,

I was just about to buy the rotors. I will try the brake pads you have mentioned here first.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by tjwhite721 View Post
    Hi SuperJim,

I was just about to buy the rotors. I will try the brake pads you have mentioned here first.
    Unless your rotors have grooves in them or are obviously bad... probably all you need to do is replace the pads.
    They are easy to replace.
    It may take a few days for the new pads to clean all the STUFF off of the rotors and smooth out.
    On mine it took a couple of days to get really smooth.

billbill1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 2006 DTS

Did front pads and rotors at 100K, $183 Amazon.com Prime.
    Rear in great shape.
    P.S.
    Amazon Prime is hard to beat, I use RockAuto, for Part I.D.& price, Amazon Prime "no shipping".
    Superjim likes this.

peryan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Lux1 DTS. Uncle bought new. Meticulously maintained.

I just replaced my 2007 DTS front brakes with a PowerStop rotors and pad kit. $184.00 delivered. These rotors are zinc plated, drilled and slotted and the pads are ceramic. The stopping performance was
    noticeable. Great investment as the OEM style rotors/pads from AutoZone or NAPA are as expensive but not nearly the same level of quality. The drilled/slotted rotors are treated to a 7000 C heat treatment and are not suppose to warp as much as the solid OEM's...

brucehammond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS, 2013 ATS 2.5
    I would not recommend the powerstop rotors. I put them on all four wheels and had a loud vibration. After going back and forth with auto anything and powerstop they replaced the slotted rotors with solid ones. All is quiet now.

peryan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Lux1 DTS. Uncle bought new. Meticulously maintained.

I was so pleased with the Powerstop brake kit on my DTS, I just replaced my Mazda CX-9 front brakes with the same kit. They made a nice improvement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.