Very Loud Injectors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Very Loud Injectors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Attachment 123906 My dealer is convinced that my injectors are to blame for engine noise, I have been told that ...
    BlueAngel#07 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Very Loud Injectors

Attachment 123906
    My dealer is convinced that my injectors are to blame for engine noise,
    I have been told that even new northstars and other engines will make this noise, (sound s like damaged lifters..) which the fact that these engines have rollers in that department....well could be right ,. at this point its just driving me nuts, I always used look at people whose cars made such noises and say, (what a shame that the owner didn't take better care of it). and now I see people looking at me that way....

So my question is...How LOUD, is loud. somethin' wrong? Me thinks so...
    and is extreme noise a sign that an injector is heading towards failure?

Wondering if i'm just going to have to live with it for the time being?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Very Loud Injectors

The injectors in our cars are not the high pressure, Direct Injection type.
    "NORMAL" noise for the injectors is very little.

The fans on my car are a good bit louder than any noise the engine makes...
    Gomaz likes this.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Unless your head is under the hood, it's not the injectors you're hearing.

OK, so my next guess is pulleys or belt tension pulley/wheel.. its funny how the techs can't here the noise when I can here from across the street I am stumped at present...coil?...dirty throttle body or actually lifters? although I doubt the throttle body would make any sense,

funny thing is is the power curve is more than great, in fact it's "snappy" at throttle. only when at idle, only thing i can kinda here is ,(at a loss for a better way to say it) mechanical wobble in the idle, outside of the pots and pan klinkin' away, it's not showing up on the rpm dash needle which tends to make me wanna believe its external.

Can you upload a video of the noise?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

"Pots & pans" ........... Whatever you're hearing, it isn't injectors. Cat heat shield, exhaust gasket, failing belt tensioner or idler pulley. Most fuel injectors require a mechanics stethoscope to even hear them - have you done that ??? From here it doesn't even seem that you have opened the hood - be daring: Look in the engine compartment.

If you can hear the noises "from across the street" then localizing the noise with the hood open and the engine cover removed should be a piece of cake.
    MoistCabbage likes this.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

My guess based on the "Pots and Pans" description, is the idler pulley bearing...

It's probably worse in my head than in real life, these type thing eat at me like crazy...
    and when I say from across the street it's more like 5-10 feet....i'm frustrated, at least til I track it down, which is bothering me the most.

I have had the hood up...(Thank you very much..) but as you know there is no head room in the engine compartment. and is not above my skill level..
    I never did buy the injector story btw,

As for digging, I just don't have the time at present to yank all the covers to look in depth.
    was relying on dealer to give me some insight. the closest I can tell is that it is coming from the left side.
    was just looking for some reassurance that the injector idea was crap...And with the pulsing in the noise that I hear
    I am seriously lean towards the belt tensioner. Thx for the feedback.. I guess I'm trying to keep from saying what I fear... That it is coming from the bottom of the engine...

2007 model, commuter/pleasure vehicle. At 10,000 miles/year the car could have 60,000 miles on it - just the right amount for a water pump belt tensioner pulley replacement. IF it is bad, and IF it seizes it will turn a 1 hour $25 job into an all day $350 job.

"Left side" - from where - looking into the engine compartment from the radiator or looking from the driver's seat ? Passenger side or driver's side ?

Several How-to's in Cadillac Tech Tips. Water pump drive belt tensioner pictures in my albums............. Not saying that's your problem - just that it's one of several possibilities NOT related to the (quiet) injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    2007 model, commuter/pleasure vehicle. At 10,000 miles/year the car could have 60,000 miles on it - just the right amount for a water pump belt tensioner pulley replacement. IF it is bad, and IF it seizes it will turn a 1 hour $25 job into an all day $350 job.

"Left side" - from where - looking into the engine compartment from the radiator or looking from the driver's seat ? Passenger side or driver's side ?

Several How-to's in Cadillac Tech Tips. Water pump drive belt tensioner pictures in my albums............. Not saying that's your problem - just that it's one of several possibilities NOT related to the (quiet) injectors.
    From drivers seat...I just have a noisy valve train

Valve train noise - what oil and filter are you using, and do you follow the OLM for engine oil ??? Where, RIGHT NOW, is the oil level on the dipstick ???

Here is correct ........... <=== ADD XXXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ===============oo======================O

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07 View Post
    It's probably worse in my head than in real life, these type thing eat at me like crazy...
    and when I say from across the street it's more like 5-10 feet....i'm frustrated, at least til I track it down, which is bothering me the most.

I have had the hood up...(Thank you very much..) but as you know there is no head room in the engine compartment. and is not above my skill level..
    I never did buy the injector story btw,

As for digging, I just don't have the time at present to yank all the covers to look in depth.
    was relying on dealer to give me some insight. the closest I can tell is that it is coming from the left side.
    was just looking for some reassurance that the injector idea was crap...And with the pulsing in the noise that I hear
    I am seriously lean towards the belt tensioner. Thx for the feedback.. I guess I'm trying to keep from saying what I fear... That it is coming from the bottom of the engine...
    Hello BlueAngel#07,

I apologize that your DTS is making a loud noise and you do not agree with the dealership’s diagnosis of the fuel injectors being the cause. If you would like, I could contact them on your behalf to inquire about why they think it is the fuel injectors and not the belt tensioner like others have said. I could also set you up an appointment at another dealership for a second opinion if you would like. Please private message me if you are interested in this. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    Valve train noise - what oil and filter are you using, and do you follow the OLM for engine oil ??? Where, RIGHT NOW, is the oil level on the dipstick ???

Here is correct ........... <=== ADD XXXXXXXXXXX OPERATING RANGE ===============oo======================O
    Have always used 5w 30-7 1/2 quarts just had it changed, will check it after it sits,

Had some time, so I checked out the noise source..... Results.....

Bad lifter
    But the worst part is that the majority of it is coming from the bottom end. Pretty sure I'm looking at a crank bearing.

Murphy's law I guess

I will try to upload a video If I can figure out how.
    It is truly a sorry sight

Lifter and bearing noises are very different, and both very unlikely. How did you come to those conclusions?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.