Very Loud Injectors - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Very Loud Injectors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage Lifter and bearing noises are very different, and both very unlikely. How did you come to ...
    BlueAngel#07 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    Lifter and bearing noises are very different, and both very unlikely. How did you come to those conclusions?
    The engine is getting worse by the day, I thought torque converter at first but sound is turning to a knock slowly but surely, really won't know til I get lid off it, it's internal, Here's the vid,http://youtu.be/9mlpgacba0w

----------

Here's the top end,

http://youtu.be/_qxpfRp7TVs

If the crank bearing is going, it's going to mess up more than lifters, I suspect one caused the other, the light of a miracle is fading

New name.... Blue Devil .....lol

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    I was having the same noise and it was the timming guides that were bad. That on the noise on the botton of the engine the other one on top by the egr valve is from the roller. My still make that noise what I do because I'm in livery service in new york and my car has over 220,000 mile I change the oil every 100hrs or 2000 miles and use a stp high mile oil treament. And noise is not that loud.

----------

And I use regular oil. I was using synthetic and belive or not it made the noise worse.

Quote Originally Posted by grullon10
    I was having the same noise and it was the timming guides that were bad. That on the noise on the botton of the engine the other one on top by the egr valve is from the roller. My still make that noise what I do because I'm in livery service in new york and my car has over 220,000 mile I change the oil every 100hrs or 2000 miles and use a stp high mile oil treament. And noise is not that loud.

----------

And I use regular oil. I was using synthetic and belive or not it made the noise worse.
    How did you find out that it was timing guides?

But what is truly unbelievable is that the techs can't here all of the noise that anyone and everyone else that listens to it can. It's like they have been brainwashed to be ignorant to the obvious. That is not normal, I will never believe that it is, so why tell me it is, If I want to take time and or spend the money to diagnose and or have it repaired. I have general know how on the functions of a standard V8, Frankly it insults what intelligence I have, I don't appreciate being told I'm delusional while standing next a vehicle witnessing it do so, what happened to the customers point of view, or am I imagining the sounds in the video? And regardless of how petty the dealer thinks it is if I am willing to pay to have it done,,,,, then screw what they think, DO IT!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Very Loud Injectors

Worn timing chain guides or slippers usually exhibit a high pitched whine: The slippers on the 3 chain tensioners are mounted on steel faced hydraulic pistons - if the nylon face wears through the chain link end plates rub on the steel slipper - imagine a high speed dull bandsaw blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    Worn timing chain guides or slippers usually exhibit a high pitched whine: The slippers on the 3 chain tensioners are mounted on steel faced hydraulic pistons - if the nylon face wears through the chain link end plates rub on the steel slipper - imagine a high speed dull bandsaw blade.
    I have only once heard an unexplained sound of such and moment of WTF went through the car, but stopped as suddenly as it started, could the guides make the type of noise in the video? And if it is the problem what is the worst that can happen left unattended ? Digging grooves, chain slippage ?

That sounds, from the frequency (times per second), like the cam follower hydraulic lash adjusters are "sticky". (and it's not loud)

Do you perform your own oil/filter changes ??? .......... and I'm assuming that you use an oil in the recommended 5W-30 viscosity rating .....and that the oil level is at the proper height, engine OFF, 5 minute draindown, level surface - Post #11.

Someone is going to post that I've lost my rocker, but try this: (It's a variant on the old quart of ATF in the engine oil).......... Drain off a quart or so of engine oil (messy job). Refill to the proper level with Marvel Mystery Oil (I can hear it coming .....) and drive the car for a week or so with some time at 65 - 70. On a convenient day, warm up the engine (10 mile drive), come home and do an oil/filter change with your favorite 5W-30 oil and a WIX 51522 filter.

Clicking gone, or at least tolerable ????

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    That sounds, from the frequency (times per second), like the cam follower hydraulic lash adjusters are "sticky". (and it's not loud)

Do you perform your own oil/filter changes ??? .......... and I'm assuming that you use an oil in the recommended 5W-30 viscosity rating .....and that the oil level is at the proper height, engine OFF, 5 minute draindown, level surface - Post #11.

Someone is going to post that I've lost my rocker, but try this: (It's a variant on the old quart of ATF in the engine oil).......... Drain off a quart or so of engine oil (messy job). Refill to the proper level with Marvel Mystery Oil (I can hear it coming .....) and drive the car for a week or so with some time at 65 - 70. On a convenient day, warm up the engine (10 mile drive), come home and do an oil/filter change with your favorite 5W-30 oil and a WIX 51522 filter.

Clicking gone, or at least tolerable ????
    I do when I have the time, as far as oil changes. The times per second is what made me think that it is two different problems, the top is twice the rate of the bottom. And the fact that it is getting louder with time
    The phone I used to take the video muffles the sound. My ear just goes to odd sounds instinctually, it's much more pronounced at a stop in gear. I have a lot to learn about the 4.6 N* as I am planning to keep it. Not the old school stuff I am used to. Thx for the help,

At this point I will try it, what can it hurt,

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil in the past with good results for noisy lifters...

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    How I starred noticing that very time I change the oil it was comming out gray the chain was eating the metal of the guide and it was making the same noise under the car as your.

He's hearing clicking noises, not chain whirrrrrr. (Not saying that he could not have a stuck tensioner, and is hearing some chain slap - but the noise at the top - EGR - of the engine is valve ticking)

You want to hear what aggravated chain tensioner noise sounds like ??? Get to a car show or drive-by and listen for the guy running a gear-idler-gear cam drive in an OHV engine: They're designed to be noisy, and they sound like a modern version of the old Ferrari 3.0L V-12 DOHC engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhPgYvDvkmk

Hear that high-pitched whine/whistle ? That's a cam gear drive system (no chain/belt), and it sounds quite similar to heavily worn cam chain tensioner slippers - but louder.

Bottom line: If you suspect chain wear or tensioner problems, the only way to positively identify the problem is to open up the front of the engine.......... and that's a day's work, engine in the car.

EDIT: Go online to Blackstone Laboratories and ask for an engine oil sample test kit. You send them an 8 ounce oil sample of what's in the engine right now - they analyze it and send a report that tells you everything that's in the oil - besides oil; aluminum, iron, nylon, plastic, coolant, water, you-name-it. They will want to know what oil brand and type it is, how many times you add oil during a change interval, how many miles on THAT oil, and if you have dumped in any snake oil additives.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.