rack and pinion dying
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By big greg
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, rack and pinion dying in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well the other day I noticed turning left was a little tough. Now at idle when I first start it ...
    big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts

rack and pinion dying

Well the other day I noticed turning left was a little tough. Now at idle when I first start it it won't turn left at all. Unless I rev it. Sounds like the rack but I think I might change the pump first just because its half the cost and easier to do. The miles are starting to wear on my old girl

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: rack and pinion dieing

Quote Originally Posted by big greg View Post
    Well the other day I noticed turning left was a little tough. Now at idle when I first start it it won't turn left at all. Unless I rev it. Sounds like the rack but I think I might change the pump first just because its half the cost and easier to do. The miles are starting to wear on my old girl
    How many miles do you have on it ??

135 k.

Well I changed the pump which was a breeze. Only one bolt!! But unfortunately its the rack. So ill be getting to that sometime soon. Ugh

cadwilliam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts 4.6
    Yea I have the same problem with my 2006 when I turn both ways. You need a new rack which you know now. It is hard to turn because somehow air has gotten in the system (that's usually way). Some people say you can bleed the system taking off the cap and turning the wheel left and right a few times....anyone chime if I wrong

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville

Re: rack and pinion dying

That's very odd for a rack and pinion needing to be replaced at 135k. They usually last the life of the car..If you don't consistently go over pot holes and etc. A new GM rack might cost over a 1000 dollars. Aftermarket is a hit or a miss and it will never drive the same again like a Caddy.

There is a place in Detroit that sells refurbs for 150$ and you send yours in for 25$ back.

There is a place in Detroit that sells refurbs for 150$ and you send yours in for 25$ back.
    I wouldn't trust anything coming from Detroit now lol. Majority of the racks are refurbish. Even aftermarket are refurbish. I would check your power steering system first. I know the rack is part of the power steering system, but I would check the pump, the hose, and make sure there are no leaks. Check inner and outer tie rod ends as well. Check everything before replacing the rack.

Unfortunately I've done all that. Sigh.

I would try the Junk yard first, then a refurbish ac delco or napa. I just heard stories about them not being centered or the steering real lose or too tight. I would definitely do it at the dealer because they would get free replacements if the racks are bad. Sometimes the aftermarket ones are good as the GM ones. You never know though. Good Luck big greg!

Maybe try a Power Steering System flush? Not sure if it will work though.

Well I replaced rack and steering shaft today. With the refurbished ac delco from ebay. Steering is silky smooth now. Glad I finally did the job!!
    Superjim likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Well I replaced rack and steering shaft today. With the refurbished ac delco from ebay. Steering is silky smooth now. Glad I finally did the job!!
    Hi big greg,

I am happy you were able to replace the rack and steering shaft today to resolve your steering issue. I hope you are enjoying your Cadillac now! If any questions ever arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

CODTSGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS 06

No offense but why does Laura the Cadillac Customer Care seem to chime in after someone has figured out the fix with the help of everyone else on the forum? And always seems to say don't hesitate to contact us. Seems to me if Cadillac really cared they would have a tech monitor the site and give real advice. Just my 2 cents.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Did you read her post? She's offering assistance with any FUTURE issues, nothing to do with the problem that's already been figured out. It's a courtesy.

And are you actually suggesting GM pay a Tech to offer FREE diagnostic/repair information on a FREE forum? Should they do the same at the dealerships?

----------

I don't get the attitude towards Cadillac Customer Care on this forum.

They're not here to offer diagnostic advice.
    They're not here to try and get you to spend money at a dealer.
    They're not here to take your email and VIN and auction it off to the Illuminati.

They're just here to help with dealer/warranty related issues, give warranty information, help set up service appointments, help settle dealer disputes, etc...

The illuminati lol. That was a good one

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.