Newbie looking to buy used DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Newbie looking to buy used DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello~ New to the forum. The past 6 months Ive been looking at the 00-05 deville for my budget but ...
    findawg78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Newbie looking to buy used DTS

Hello~
    New to the forum. The past 6 months Ive been looking at the 00-05 deville for my budget but have read a lot of mechanical nightmares. The more and more I see and read the more I like the body lines and gauges of the 06-07ish DTS. It appears there are 3 variants plus a performance option. Any advise on which one or "beware of's" are welcome. The car ads I have been watching dont usually give details on what model, whats the best way to identify whats what?

Thanks...Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

findawg78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Intro

Hi, Mike here. Looking to buy a used DTS and found the forum doing some home work. Lots of info here. Any advise or tips welcome. Thanks.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Re: Newbie looking to buy used DTS

I recently bought an 06 DTS. When I looked around I avoided the Performance models with the electronic suspension due to the high cost of strut replacement. I ended up buying a LUX 3, which has most all of the luxury options like the rainsense wipers, intellibeam, and seat messagers. Many 06's around now have the clunk from the front strut mounts(mine does) and may need HID bulb replacement (not quite as cheap and easy as you would think). I am very happy with the car that I bought.
    On other thing, I have owned a few 01-05 Devilles, they are great cars, but I do think the 06 up DTS models do not have some of the problems the earlier ones had. Namely headgaskets (actually 05 up had this straightened out) and pop and drop windows. Many DTS's out there, just shop around.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4
    Welcome !! Do you want a real DTS (Deville Touring Sedan) or the 2005 and later knockoff "DTS" - which is NOT a Deville ? (See your second post - merged from the Lounge)

As with any used car decision, a thorough inspection and driving test is mandatory. Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar. Read the sticky posts at the top of each forum of interest: The reason they're stuck there is because they contain important info for the cars in that forum - but nobody reads them anyway. Read the stickys at the top of the Engines, Northstar Performance forum - these are very important info. Make sure the car comes with all the keys and key fobs (transmitters). A real Deville comes with 2 black keys, one gray (valet) key and 2 fobs, numbered 1 and 2. They are part of the car. Make sure you get an owner's manual and the OnStar manual (if equipped)(if converted to digital).

If you run the VIN through the RPO converter in www.compnine.com that will give you every option built into THAT car. The RPO sticker is under the spare tire cover. Original tire size and speed rating (that's also the speed limiter setting) are on the driver's door sticker.

I merged your identical post from the Lounge: You'll get more feedback in this forum. Please do not double-post essentially identical questions. Thanks.

bigsahad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Hey my man all I can say I have a 2006 dts performance its amazing car red with all bell and whistles...Only 57000 miles on it with any of these cars see if u can get a extended warranty gmpp its great to have. It helped me with my purchase to know I was covered for another 50,000 miles. All repairs done at crown Cadillac Dealer. So far nothing major except wheel hubs and water pump paid 100.00 deductible ..

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I have a 2006 Performance Sedan that I bought new...
    It now has a little over 130,000 miles on it has given very little trouble.

I love it...

Jim

----------

One quick way to tell the Performance Model from the LUX versions is the VIN number...

The 8th digit on the LUX models will be a "Y"... on the Performance models it will be a "9"...

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

What does a DTS match up with parts wise?
    I see it was left all alone.

2000–2005 115.3 in Cadillac DeVille GM K platform
    1998–2004 112.2 in Cadillac Seville GM K platform
    2006–2011 115.6 in Cadillac DTS GM K platform

The old DeVille matched the other models mechanically and were mostly built of off the shelf GM parts.
    That makes finding parts easier and keeps the price down.

The not often mentioned - DeVille DHS (DeVille High Luxury),
    2000-2001 then 2002 - 2005
    which added several cabin comfort options to include power rear window sunshade and heated/massaging rear seats.

ronm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Bronze Beauty 2010 DTS Platinum

I have a "real" DTS. The title says so, Cadillac manufactured it as a DTS, it's what I looked for and found when looking for a DTS. It's not a knock-off of anything, it's a DTS... clear and simple. It's not a Deville, that's for sure, but I wasn't looking for a Deville. Research tells me that the Devilles and Sevilles were replaced with and consolidated into the DTS. So, for the sake of continuing the thread, I bought a 2010 DTS in April of this year. I got what I paid for and I love it! If you want a Deville in one of its permutations, I hope you are happy with your purchase.

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

My girlfriend drives a 05 Deville. It's nearing 100k and there have been a few minor issues, but that's about it. We have had two window regulars fails which seems to be a common problem ($500+ at a dealer, $200 at our local indy shop), a short in window wiring which cost maybe $40, a blown fuse (pocket change), and a brake fluid sensor (about $140 at a local indy shop). We have had the car for 30k, and have not replaced the brakes yet and they have at least half left on both sides, which is really good for a newer vehicle and a larger vehicle. The car also gets about 26mpg doing hilly highway driving, and can easily hit 30mpg if it's somewhat flat, and do even better in cruise control. Hers is not a DTS model, it is a base model with a 275 hp engine, which is geared for touring and not performance. It also runs o n 87 octane.

My advice would be to find a great indy shop -- they will save you a fortune on repairs and maintenance. I have two I use regularly, and a few more I trust as well.

I also should say I like the way my girlfriend's Deville rides much better than my STS -- I simply don't get to drive fast enough without going to jail to appreciate where the STS suspension is better, the Deville's suspension is not nearly as floaty and boat-like as older models, but is softer and absorbs all the terrible Massachusetts roads. I'm not a fan of FWD vehicles at all, but I would tolerate it for the vehicles suspension.

I just bought a house on a hill myself and the RWD STS is not the best vehicle to get up the hill in the winter, plus I would appreciate the larger trunk space so I'm looking at a black '07 DTS currently.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Off topic, but Dean, your window regulators can be fixed permanently, for the cost of a cotter pin, and some epoxy. Do a search, or ask in the FWD Deville/Fleetwood forums. The brake fluid level sensor should also be much cheaper to replace.

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by ronm01 View Post
    I have a "real" DTS. The title says so, Cadillac manufactured it as a DTS, it's what I looked for and found when looking for a DTS. It's not a knock-off of anything, it's a DTS... clear and simple. It's not a Deville, that's for sure, but I wasn't looking for a Deville. Research tells me that the Devilles and Sevilles were replaced with and consolidated into the DTS. So, for the sake of continuing the thread, I bought a real 2010 DTS in April of this year. I got what I paid for and I love it! If you want a Deville in one of its permutations, I hope you are happy with your purchase.
    Some in this group attach a special significance to the "Performance" model which has slightly more hp and a different drive ratio + Magnetic Ride Control. To me all this means is worse gas mileage and a rougher ride. But, to say the non-performance DTS is not really a DTS is a bunch of crap. We should all enjoy our DTS' in whatever iteration because there will be no more.
    Superjim likes this.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by StuJac View Post
    Some in this group attach a special significance to the "Performance" model which has slightly more hp and a different drive ratio + Magnetic Ride Control. To me all this means is worse gas mileage and a rougher ride.
    But, to say the non-performance DTS is not really a DTS is a bunch of crap. We should all enjoy our DTS' in whatever iteration because there will be no more.
    I agree 100%...

Jim

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ronm01 View Post
    I have a "real" DTS. The title says so, Cadillac manufactured it as a DTS, it's what I looked for and found when looking for a DTS. It's not a knock-off of anything, it's a DTS... clear and simple. It's not a Deville, that's for sure, but I wasn't looking for a Deville. Research tells me that the Devilles and Sevilles were replaced with and consolidated into the DTS. So, for the sake of continuing the thread, I bought a 2010 DTS in April of this year. I got what I paid for and I love it! If you want a Deville in one of its permutations, I hope you are happy with your purchase.
    Hello ronm01,

Glad to hear you love your DTS and are getting what you paid for! Continue to enjoy driving your Cadillac If you ever have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us via private message.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean View Post
    My girlfriend drives a 05 Deville. It's nearing 100k and there have been a few minor issues, but that's about it. We have had two window regulars fails which seems to be a common problem ($500+ at a dealer, $200 at our local indy shop), a short in window wiring which cost maybe $40, a blown fuse (pocket change), and a brake fluid sensor (about $140 at a local indy shop). We have had the car for 30k, and have not replaced the brakes yet and they have at least half left on both sides, which is really good for a newer vehicle and a larger vehicle. The car also gets about 26mpg doing hilly highway driving, and can easily hit 30mpg if it's somewhat flat, and do even better in cruise control. Hers is not a DTS model, it is a base model with a 275 hp engine, which is geared for touring and not performance. It also runs o n 87 octane.

My advice would be to find a great indy shop -- they will save you a fortune on repairs and maintenance. I have two I use regularly, and a few more I trust as well.

I also should say I like the way my girlfriend's Deville rides much better than my STS -- I simply don't get to drive fast enough without going to jail to appreciate where the STS suspension is better, the Deville's suspension is not nearly as floaty and boat-like as older models, but is softer and absorbs all the terrible Massachusetts roads. I'm not a fan of FWD vehicles at all, but I would tolerate it for the vehicles suspension.

I just bought a house on a hill myself and the RWD STS is not the best vehicle to get up the hill in the winter, plus I would appreciate the larger trunk space so I'm looking at a black '07 DTS currently.
    Hi fps_dean,

Thanks for sharing this information with the community. I see you are looking at an '07 DTS; have you had any luck yet? If there are any questions you may have, please contact me via private message.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I've never heard the phrase "real DTS" used to differentiate '06+ LUX models from Performance/Platinum models. I have heard it used to differentiate "real" (original) '00-'05 Deville Touring Sedans from '06+ DTSs. Same thing for "real" '88-03 Seville Touring Sedans vs '05+ STSs.

Not the first time Cadillac model names have been confusing.

ronm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Bronze Beauty 2010 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I've never heard the phrase "real DTS" used to differentiate '06+ LUX models from Performance/Platinum models. I have heard it used to differentiate "real" (original) '00-'05 Deville Touring Sedans from '06+ DTSs. Same thing for "real" '88-03 Seville Touring Sedans vs '05+ STSs.

Not the first time Cadillac model names have been confusing.
    I was referring to Submariner409 and his post that said: "Welcome !! Do you want a real DTS (Deville Touring Sedan) or the 2005 and later knockoff "DTS" - which is NOT a Deville ?" In his quoted words He refers to models after 2005 as being knock-off DTS's as opposed to the real DTS (Deville Touring Car). You are correct, there is no model DTS known as the "Real" DTS. Methinks he does not care for the newer model Cadillac DTSs. Just poking fun, no offense intended, but my 2010 Platinum is a real DTS (Deville Touring Sedan). I do understand his intent to clarify models previous to 2005, but the later models are not knock-offs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.