Fantastic gas mileage on highway trip - 2008 DTS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Fantastic gas mileage on highway trip - 2008 DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I get a consistent 26-27 mpg on the interstate ave.@70mph. Tires are @ 33PSI cold. My best to date was ...
    mgbumpus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS

Re: Fantastic gas mileage on highway trip - 2008 DTS

I get a consistent 26-27 mpg on the interstate ave.@70mph. Tires are @ 33PSI cold. My best to date was 29.1 MPG from Duluth, Mn. to Janesville, Wi. (360 mls @ 72mph Ave.) BP-93 100% gasoline. It was a very hot day - Over 100 Deg last July. Locally I lose 10% if I use E10. Who knows what I would get get if I played nice @ 55 mph or 65 mph.

----------

I get a consistent 26-27 mpg on the interstate ave.@70mph. Tires are @ 33PSI cold. My best to date was 29.1 MPG from Duluth, Mn. to Janesville, Wi. (360 mls @ 72mph Ave.) BP-93 100% gasoline. It was a very hot day - Over 100 Deg last July. Locally I lose 10% if I use E10. Who knows what I would get get if I played nice @ 55 mph or 65 mph.
    rebel7254 likes this.

kman779 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Wish I could get 33mpg. The best I get is around 19 in town and 28 on the interstate doing 65-68mph which is better than quite a few of the others posting here. I havent given premoum gas a try yet so maybe I will try it and see if I can get even better mileage.

tjwhite721 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, 1999 Cadillac Seville

ALL,

The NORTHSTAR engine is made to be driven HARD! The faster you drive the better the engine performs and the longer it lasts. You guys can drive 55 or 65 mph and have all that carbon build up in your engine if you want. I personally average between 80 and 90 (MPH) when I drive on the highway.

There is no better feeling when you drive the DTS at 80+mph, with the windows down, feeling the smoothness of the car. The faster you drive the smoother it rides :-)

I average 20mpg driving 80+ mph. I would rather drive fast and average 20mpg, than drive slow and hope to get 25+mpg.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Going 20 MPH over the speed limit isn't going to do much for keeping carbon buildup down. Do some reading in the Technical Archives.

Chuckj19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS-195,xxx (Daily Driver); 94 SLS-154,xxx RIP 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Our fuel tanks have an air volume of about 1.5 gallons at the top of the tank to allow for fuel expansion and contraction with temperature - and that volume change is significant.

That air volume is one of the factors that clicks off Pump A at so much fuel backflow and Pump B at another. The only way to totally fill a fuel tank (nowadays) to the max is to slowly trickle in that last 3/4 to 1 gallon of gas.

The DIC indication of fuel used is very, very accurate, especially for quickie one-time fuel use looks. If you were to keep paper records over 5,000 miles or so you would then have a pretty good calculation of your average fuel consumption.

I can fill the STS and spend a week in and around DC and wind up with an average 13 mpg - one "tank" of gas. I can then fill up and head down I-95 for SC and get 24.8 mpg on that tank............... but the average for the two tanks is 18.9 mpg. It takes a LOT of long term highway driving to pull that long term average DIC figure up into the 20's. I never reset my average fuel mileage figure - I do reset trip miles and fuel used readouts. Right now, mostly rural driving, the DIC says 19.3 mpg long term average.
    He never lied..

rebel7254 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Luxury III

I'm back.

Believe it or not I actually forgot about this on the way down to the beach (it was a crazy morning and day), but I did remember to reset all fuel related DIC readings right after I filled up in Myrtle Beach. When I got home, I took pictures:

As I anticipated, having the car loaded down with the extra passenger and luggage along with having to traverse the mountains brought down the MPG. But, I'm still quite pleased with 28.5 MPG all things considered. If you take the mileage and divide by the fuel usage manually, it actually works out to be slightly higher @ 28.8 MPG. Either way, as I said, I'm rather pleased and it's something I never expected with this car.

Your 2008 "DTS" - what is the 8th character of the VIN ?

I don't think we ever determined if your car has a 3.71 or 3.11 final drive - and most of the Devilles (base, DHS) with the 3.11 see 27, 28, 29 mpg on the highway, long term, with ease.

The acronym "DTS" for the new replacements to the Deville line is misleading because originally DTS meant the performance model, had the 3.71 final drive, and were lucky (like the STS) to get 25 mpg open highway.

Glad the trip went well - We're headed from here to Myrtle Beach on 2 October - 4 day submarine crew reunion. For me, it's a 9 hour drive.

Play with this for a while - but, as I posted before, using straight gas or E10 in either the car or trucks makes no difference in mileage for me -

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MD

rebel7254 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Luxury III

Submariner, I never claimed to have the performance model. It definitely has the 3.11 final drive. The 8th VIN character is "Y".

So with that in mind I guess my hope for becoming an instant millionaire is out the window?

No problem - ALL the VIN Y cars will beat a VIN 9 car in the gas mileage department.......... but the original 300hp/3.71 DTS association dies hard.

There was a mileage thread in Seville a few years ago, with spreadsheet figures - for an ESC on a long trip .......... that one got just about 30 mpg, including mountains, with 2 people and some luggage.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I took a 500 mile trip over the past weekend...
    VIN 9
    Got about 20mpg...

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    No problem - ALL the VIN Y cars will beat a VIN 9 car in the gas mileage department.......... but the original 300hp/3.71 DTS association dies hard.

There was a mileage thread in Seville a few years ago, with spreadsheet figures - for an ESC on a long trip .......... that one got just about 30 mpg, including mountains, with 2 people and some luggage.
    My 01 seville would always see 31-33 mpg cruising 65 mph. I loved it. Still gets about 29ish. 130k that car still rides and runs awesome

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by rebel7254 View Post
    Believe it or not I actually forgot about this on the way down to the beach (it was a crazy morning and day), but I did ........ home, I took pictures. ................As I anticipated, having the car loaded down with the extra passenger and luggage along with having to traverse the mountains brought down the MPG. But, I'm still quite pleased with 28.5 MPG all things considered. ...... slightly higher @ 28.8 MPG. Either way, as I said, I'm rather pleased and it's something I never expected with this car.
    rebel7254, Congratulations, that you were consistently getting ~28.5 MPG with your style of driving and where & how you were filling up the tank. We are never going to come to a solid conclusion on this issue as there are too many variables associated with this subject matter.

Anyway, I applaud your persistency.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.