wheel bearing problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, wheel bearing problem? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2006 DTS (105,000 miles)...Car seems to be alittle louder than normal on smooth roads at 55mph...seems like sometimes i hear ...
    northstar1958 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

wheel bearing problem?

2006 DTS (105,000 miles)...Car seems to be alittle louder than normal on smooth roads at 55mph...seems like sometimes i hear it, sometimes i don't. I checked for play...Driver side is tight, passenger side has some play...don't know if its alot or not. I have newer tie tods/struts/strut bearings installed/newer tires/alignment....maybe alittle vibration (once again its hard to tell because its so slight). Anyways...if i need to change the passenger side wheel bearing, do i need to change both? Should i be looking at something else? Thanks

northstar

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Re: wheel bearing problem?

Quote Originally Posted by northstar1958 View Post
    2006 DTS (105,000 miles)...Car seems to be alittle louder than normal on smooth roads at 55mph...seems like sometimes i hear it, sometimes i don't. I checked for play...Driver side is tight, passenger side has some play...don't know if its alot or not. I have newer tie tods/struts/strut bearings installed/newer tires/alignment....maybe alittle vibration (once again its hard to tell because its so slight). Anyways...if i need to change the passenger side wheel bearing, do i need to change both? Should i be looking at something else? Thanks

northstar
    You do not need to replace both at the same time, unlike some other components. However, it stands to reason that the other side will wear out sooner rather than later. But for some reason, the passenger side front wheel bearings seem to go first. ( at least in my experience).

northstar1958 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks for the info. One other question, can a wheel bearing make noise but have no play? I think i will plan on changing both bearings when i do it.
    Thanks again.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by northstar1958 View Post
    Thanks for the info. One other question, can a wheel bearing make noise but have no play? I think i will plan on changing both bearings when i do it.
    Thanks again.
    Yes.. They can make noise and still be tight with no play.

I changed both of mine last fall after the drivers side started making noise.
    It is a fairly easy job and not real expensive.
    I also changed the brake pads on all four wheels at the same time.

Hub and bearing assembly...Timken 513179 available on Amazon for about 100 bucks.
    Updated AC DELCO pads for the front...ACDelco 171-0985.. about 50 bucks...
    Updated AC DELCO pads for the rear... ACDelco 171-0954.. about 65 bucks...

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

What Jim said.
    And I did my wife's 2006 Performance.
    Bought the Timken hub/bearings; Raybestos PG Plus Rotors, which are high end rotors; & Akebono pads . . all from Rock Auto.
    The Axle nut is 33mm. You may need a hub puller and if you do .. rent or buy one that pulls from the studs.
    I had a problem with the left side being "frozen on" aka rust/corrosion in and around the axle splines.
    I finally got it loose by using a puller made for excavation equipment & a 3/4" CP impact wrench capable of 900 to 1000 lb. ft. of torque.
    Needless to say, I wore a face shield when removing that sucker!
    A little scary . . especially when I head a bang/pop 3 times as the impact gun was workin' hard to remove it.

Oh, and the right side on many wears first because, that is the side that hits most of the ruts & potholes
    due to the crown of the road and where the puddles are.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.