Chrysler May Sue GM - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Chrysler May Sue GM in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Maybe Pontiac can sue Toyota over the 90's Camry that has almost identical taillights to my 91 Bonneville... Oh, out ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Chrysler May Sue GM

Maybe Pontiac can sue Toyota over the 90's Camry that has almost identical taillights to my 91 Bonneville...

Oh, out of production, right.... Never mind....

I guess GM/ChryCo would have to determine that is infringes on a trademark. Else, no ground to stand on.

GM has tons of them, too late to try to remember a few. Horn notes on a Cadillac is one. Insignias always, calling a car a J2000 and Jeep owning it... etc.

Tom

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

OMG!! K-CAR OVERLOAD.... K-CAR OVERLOAD!! MAKE IT STOOOOOPPP!!

Hehe, Id like to see Chrylser try and file a lawsuit over this rediculous BS. All the Cadillac defense would have to say is "Look at that thing Judge... Did you ever OWN one of those things? Do you think wed REALLY want to copy THAT!!?" The new DTS is a very very nice car, and the only other car it needs to be worried about copying is the STS.

I really better not see this happen... Hopefully bringing MB into the fold has knocked some sense into the DC Execs. Lawsuits are not a reliable way to show a profit...

Sean McDonald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Personally I think the back end of the new Caddy looks more like a Monte Carlo than a Chrysler.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

LOL! It does look like a toned down Monte Carlo rear! Good call!

Does that mean Chevy will sue Cadillac??? hehe

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    Sure. But let me pull up pics from the same angle for reference...

I apologize. You're right.
    I know I'm definately going to mistake this:

*snip

with this:

*snip

Look! They both have 4 wheels too!
    And 4 doors!
    And is that emblem mounted in the center of the trunk lid? It is!
    Caddy is in soooooo much trouble.
    i couldn't have said it better than that!

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Wow im sure am drawing alot of flack on this one ....

I just dont think you all are willing to accept that styleing cues are very similar among boath cars ....But yet a monte carlo looks more like the DTS ???? you really have to strech it to see that ...But it looks nothing like a chrysler ....sounds like brand blindess to me ..

Ive said it three times now , it probably wasnt intentional ..

But im really paying for the joke in the first post arent i ?but hey Bob Lutz was around when boath cars were done .....and he brings people with him whever he get hired ....HMMMMM maybe it is possible ?

OK fine , so it looks nothing like a chrysler at all to you all , since you all say it looks like a monte ...Then lets say "why does a cadillac have to look like anything but a cadillac"...It shows they did a piss poor job redoing the car ...

Oh but ive said another thing against cadillac ....lemme have it again ...because cadillac never does anything wrong ....(cough) cimmaron (cough)

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Stoney take it easy buddy... I seriously DID see Monte Carlo the first time I saw the back end, to prove it, you can go read my post in Ralph's 2006 DTS post in the lounge.

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

"Much ado about nothing." - William Shakespeare
    "There is nothing new under the sun." - Solomon

The two cars are similar, but that's nothing new. My '71 Mazda RX-2 had style features resembling parts of various year model Camaros. I'd bet if we dug far enough, we could find design elements in todays cars that resemble some of the earliest examples available. It's not unlike clothing styles, my kids are wearing the same style clothes that we wore in the '70s. We've been recycling more than just aluminum cans for a long long long long ...... ..
    Well, you know what I mean.

Chrysler needs to either grow up, or stop taking advantage of our litigiously favorable court system.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    "Much ado about nothing." - William Shakespeare
    "There is nothing new under the sun." - Solomon

The two cars are similar, but that's nothing new. My '71 Mazda RX-2 had style features resembling parts of various year model Camaros. I'd bet if we dug far enough, we could find design elements in todays cars that resemble some of the earliest examples available. It's not unlike clothing styles, my kids are wearing the same style clothes that we wore in the '70s. We've been recycling more than just aluminum cans for a long long long long ...... ..
    Well, you know what I mean.

Chrysler needs to either grow up, or stop taking advantage of our litigiously favorable court system.

Kev
    THERE !!! its about time someone said it !!!!! At least someone knows of chryslers habits over the past 48 months .....thankx kev .....finnaly someone that got it ....

playdriv
    yah i know ....im just tired of whats going on round here ....Im getting corrected ,everyones getting corrected round here ....getting really tired of people swarming into threads to correct the original poster to prove how smart they are...and now that its happening to me its really rubbing me the wrong way .....it didnt use to be that way here ....

CharBroiled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sorry I just cant see that much similarity.. and how many ways are there to make a rear end for a car anyway..? they all need to be fairly aerodynamic, have bumpers, lights, trunks a place for the plate etc.. aside from the wild stuff in the 50s and 60s they all sorta blend together nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    Sure. But let me pull up pics from the same angle for reference...

I apologize. You're right.
    I know I'm definately going to mistake this:

Look! They both have 4 wheels too!
    And 4 doors!
    And is that emblem mounted in the center of the trunk lid? It is!
    Caddy is in soooooo much trouble.
    by the way goth ....in this post where you trying ot make a point...you ran the wrong car ...what you posted is not a 93 ..but rather the older circa 1991 5th without the contored taillamps...try again only use 92-93

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I think the real animosity in this discussion is directed toward Chrysler.. It's ridiculous that this even made the news. Yes, there are similarities.. If Jaguar didn't sue Hyundai over the Sonata, then I don't see this happening here.. Chrysler's done more Cadillac copying than Cadillac, if it really happened, did has done to Chrysler..
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

CoupeDevilleRob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1983 Coupe deVille

Even if Chrysler did sue they don't have a leg to stand on. Verticle tail lights have been a Cadillac styling hallmark since 1965. I wouldn't put it past those unoriginal bastards to try though.

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

I think the 5th Ave was a poor competition car for Lincoln and Cadillac both. The taillamps are a dead giveaway that Cadillac styling was taken for the car, also with the headlamp covers and the grille, which was purely a Lincoln design. My theory was Chrysler was just trying to snag some customers from Lincoln and Cadillac and crashed and burned in the process. I even have some friends that'll point at a 5th and say "Look a Caddy! Which one is that?" The real story here is Cadillac is more recognizable for having that rear end design than Chrysler is and if it comes down to a court situation that will come into play. Cadillac has had vertical taillamps and bumper mounted lisence plates since the early 70's It was then that they made the move to the trunk. The 5th Ave reared it's posin' ugly head in the 80's when Cadillac's cars were starting to get smaller and the taillamps shrunk in height. The 5th Ave is such a sad excuse for a luxury vehicle that I don't even think it should be discussed here. And that's how I sees it.

youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    OMG!! K-CAR OVERLOAD.... K-CAR OVERLOAD!! MAKE IT STOOOOOPPP!!

Hehe, Id like to see Chrylser try and file a lawsuit over this rediculous BS. All the Cadillac defense would have to say is "Look at that thing Judge... Did you ever OWN one of those things? Do you think wed REALLY want to copy THAT!!?" The new DTS is a very very nice car, and the only other car it needs to be worried about copying is the STS.

I really better not see this happen... Hopefully bringing MB into the fold has knocked some sense into the DC Execs. Lawsuits are not a reliable way to show a profit...
    Uh---I have one, a 90. They are good cars too. Actually the leather in my chrysler has held up a whole heck of a lot better than the Cadillac'd I have owned. OOppppss, did I say that? I think the styling is a honest mistake. I dont think Chrysler would win in court. I mean there is only so many ways you can make them look beofre you start repeating stuff from the past. Look at the Mustang. I think it looks too much like a Monte Carlo.

Blaze

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.