Speed Limit Display?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Speed Limit Display? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2009 DTS with the navigation system. I can't get the Speed Limit to display in the DIC. ...
    NCDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS

Speed Limit Display?

I have a 2009 DTS with the navigation system. I can't get the Speed Limit to display in the DIC. Per page 3-72 of the manual:

SPEED LIMIT: XXX MPH (SPEED LIMIT:
    XXX Km/h) or ADVISORY: XXX MPH
    (ADVISORY: XXX Km/h)
    This display will show the speed limit or the advised
    speed as determined by the information on the map disc
    in the navigation system. If there is no map disc in the
    navigation system, this display will not be available.

I definitely have a map disc installed and there is no Speed Limit display page when cycling through the Vehicle Information menu. It's not there when I have a route set in the nav system either. I'm now running the 2011 map disc, but I didn't have it with the original 2009 map disc. I had the dealer look at it a while back and they could not bring up the menu nor did they know why it was not displaying.

Any suggestions for getting the Speed Limit display functional? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Speed Limit Display?

Interesting...
    I have never heard of that being an option...

ronm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Bronze Beauty 2010 DTS Platinum

I haven't scrolled through the DIC to see if this is an option, but I always get the legal speed limit displayed when on an Interstate highway. Should I set my cruise to a higher speed than legal, I get continuous yet intermittent reminders of my set speed and the legal speed. Naturally, when legal speeds have been reduced for road work, the reduced speed is not shown... only the posted legal speed + the cruise control set speed.

Hi ronm01, appreciate the information on how it's supposed to work. I'm taking the DTS in for regular service today and I'll ask again. I'm thinking I may have to turn on the feature somehow in the DIC. Thanks again.

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

Never seen this feature on my 2008.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by NCDTS View Post
    I have a 2009 DTS with the navigation system. I can't get the Speed Limit to display in the DIC. Per page 3-72 of the manual:

SPEED LIMIT: XXX MPH (SPEED LIMIT:
    XXX Km/h) or ADVISORY: XXX MPH
    (ADVISORY: XXX Km/h)
    This display will show the speed limit or the advised
    speed as determined by the information on the map disc
    in the navigation system. If there is no map disc in the
    navigation system, this display will not be available.

I definitely have a map disc installed and there is no Speed Limit display page when cycling through the Vehicle Information menu. It's not there when I have a route set in the nav system either. I'm now running the 2011 map disc, but I didn't have it with the original 2009 map disc. I had the dealer look at it a while back and they could not bring up the menu nor did they know why it was not displaying.

Any suggestions for getting the Speed Limit display functional? Thanks in advance.
    Hello NCDTS,

I apologize that you are not able get the speed limit to display in the DIC. I reached out to an internal resource with your question. The speed limit information is not available on all roads on routes. I wanted to confirm that you are not able to get it to work at all though. I see that you have taken your DTS into the dealership today. Can you update us on the situation after the visit to the dealership? Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to hearing from you.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thank you all for the responses. Gregory W - I am not able to get it to work at all. At the dealership today we went through all the options in the DIC and did not find any related to speed limit settings. The Service Advisor thinks it may be related to the option level on the DTS. I have the base model and he thinks it was a feature of either the Luxury version (not sure of the option code) or higher.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

I have the 1SD version of this car and I don't have it either. I have only seen it on my wife's Garmin.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thank you all for the responses. Gregory W - I am not able to get it to work at all. At the dealership today we went through all the options in the DIC and did not find any related to speed limit settings. The Service Advisor thinks it may be related to the option level on the DTS. I have the base model and he thinks it was a feature of either the Luxury version (not sure of the option code) or higher.
    Hello NCDTS,

If you could private message me and send me your name, contact info, VIN, and dealership you have been working with, I would like to do some additional research on your behalf. Thank you very much in advance.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I have a 1SE.. top of the line Performance Model and mine doesn't so it either...

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

It will work on all level I II and III DTS

It may not have been programed at the factory. It’s like all 06-11 DTS have AUTO START. You just have to change the FOB’s and program the dash.
    If it doesn’t work have them program it.

Speed Advisory

The Speed Advisory system allows the driver to view posted speed limits and advisory speed information. This information comes from the navigation map disc. The navigation system only works as well as the information provided from that disc. See Database Coverage Explanations after in this manual for more information.
    The navigation system uses GPS to determine the vehicle's location within the navigation map disc. This information is then downloaded to the Speed Advisory message area, which is located and displayed in the DIC or HUD. See“DIC Operation and Displays” and“Speed Advisory” in the index of the vehicle's owner manual for more information.

DIC Operation and Displays

SPEED LIMIT: XXX MPH (SPEED LIMIT: XXX Km/h) or ADVISORY: XXX MPH (ADVISORY: XXX Km/h)
    This display will show the speed limit or the advised speed as determined by the information on the map disc in the navigation system. If there is no map disc in the navigation system, this display will not be available.
    The speed limit and speed advisory displays on the DIC are for reference only. There may be segments of road where speed data has not been captured or times where incorrect speed data, or no speed data, will be displayed by the DIC due to the navigation system not correctly matching the vehicle’s position to the actual road. Be aware of this and obey posted speed limits wherever you drive.

SPEED ALERT

This display will allow you to customize the speed alert warning. You can choose to have no warning display, or to have it display at the limit, at 5 mph (km/h) over the limit, or at 10 mph (km/h) over the limit. The DIC will toggle between OFF, AT LIMIT, +5 , +10 (MPH or Km/h). Press the reset button to make your selection.

Quote Originally Posted by danog View Post
    It will work on all level I II and III DTS

It may not have been programed at the factory. It’s like all DTS have AUTO STAR. You just have to change the FOB’s and program the dash.
    If it doesn’t work have them program it.

Speed Advisory

The Speed Advisory system allows the driver to view posted speed limits and advisory speed information. This information comes from the navigation map disc. The navigation system only works as well as the information provided from that disc. See Database Coverage Explanations after in this manual for more information.
    The navigation system uses GPS to determine the vehicle's location within the navigation map disc. This information is then downloaded to the Speed Advisory message area, which is located and displayed in the DIC or HUD. See“DIC Operation and Displays” and“Speed Advisory” in the index of the vehicle's owner manual for more information.

DIC Operation and Displays

SPEED LIMIT: XXX MPH (SPEED LIMIT: XXX Km/h) or ADVISORY: XXX MPH (ADVISORY: XXX Km/h)
    This display will show the speed limit or the advised speed as determined by the information on the map disc in the navigation system. If there is no map disc in the navigation system, this display will not be available.
    The speed limit and speed advisory displays on the DIC are for reference only. There may be segments of road where speed data has not been captured or times where incorrect speed data, or no speed data, will be displayed by the DIC due to the navigation system not correctly matching the vehicle’s position to the actual road. Be aware of this and obey posted speed limits wherever you drive.

SPEED ALERT

This display will allow you to customize the speed alert warning. You can choose to have no warning display, or to have it display at the limit, at 5 mph (km/h) over the limit, or at 10 mph (km/h) over the limit. The DIC will toggle between OFF, AT LIMIT, +5 , +10 (MPH or Km/h). Press the reset button to make your selection.
    Good information, danog! Not having owned a previous model Cadillac, I was not sure whether the sped limit alert works without the navigation system. Based upon my own searching and experience with the the display, I came to the conclusion that the navigation system (with the ACC) is needed for the speed display and for toggling the options for; at speed, +5 or + 10. Thank you for the confirmation. I'm sure that your post will inform all who questioned how or when the readings become visible in the notification area of the dash display intermittently flashing the legal speed and cruise control set speed.

Thank you for the information danog, I'll ask the service department to check into it and re-program. I really like the feature on the portable Garmin that I use in rentals and would like to get it functional in the DTS. Have a great weekend all.

I picked up the DTS this afternoon with the speedometer cluster replaced (see the Speedometer Gone Crazy thread). My Service Advisor showed me PIC5266 "Speed Advisory Missing on the DIC (Oct 20, 2009)". It impacts 2009-2010 models with the UR3 (nav) radio without the K59 cruise (adaptive cruise). Net, he indicated, since I don't have adaptive cruise control, I don't get the Speed Limit display.
    Thankfully, something isn't quite right since I now have the Speed Limit and Speed Alert setting in the DIC with the cluster replacement and reprogramming. I don't have an auto display of the speed limit as ronm01 indicated above. I need to scroll through the Vehicle Information menu to get the local speed limit, but I received accurate posted speed limits on two major highways in the area. Thanks again to all that responded, really appreciate the assistance!

I picked up the DTS this afternoon with the speedometer cluster replaced (see the Speedometer Gone Crazy thread). My Service Advisor showed me PIC5266 "Speed Advisory Missing on the DIC (Oct 20, 2009)". It impacts 2009-2010 models with the UR3 (nav) radio without the K59 cruise (adaptive cruise). Net, he indicated, since I don't have adaptive cruise control, I don't get the Speed Limit display.
    Thankfully, something isn't quite right since I now have the Speed Limit and Speed Alert setting in the DIC with the cluster replacement and reprogramming. I don't have an auto display of the speed limit as ronm01 indicated above. I need to scroll through the Vehicle Information menu to get the local speed limit, but I received accurate posted speed limits on two major highways in the area. Thanks again to all that responded, really appreciate the assistance!
    NCDTS,

Glad to see that you are making progress (it seems). I'm somewhat confused. Do I understand correctly that you are able to see your speed limit ONLY when you scroll through the DIC menu? This would be quite inconvenient, in my view, and may even pose a danger to you should you need to divert your attention away from the odometer area to manually scroll through the DIC.

To reiterate my settings and speed limit view, they appear to be linked to the NAV system in my 2010 DTS Platinum. I do hope that with the replacement cluster that you now have in place that you are close to having an automatic speed limit display after further diagnosis working with a knowledgeable Cadillac technician. Best wishes for everything to work properly as you desire on your beautiful automobile.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.